DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in the fog/clouds

My exact thoughts I’m not a professional pilot but have way more common sense than this moron! What’s going to (probably) happen is they are going to require a license just to purchase any drone with the capability to reach a certain altitude maybe it’s best that this happens! I waited a while to purchase my first drone and now see my freedom to fly is in jeopardy because these people with a childish mentality are gaining access to these drones and use them like toys! Government intervention is because a few don’t have any brains and can’t be trusted!

we‘re having exact such licenses in Austria since 2014 (via AustroControl). it would cost that guy around 22.000 EUR if the local authorities would find out about such a video filmed in Austria and would track him down.

we‘re having exact such licenses in Austria since 2014 (via AustroControl). it would cost that guy around 22.000 EUR if the local authorities would find out about such a video filmed in Austria and would track him down.

That’s exactly what going to happen in the USA Dji has already developed a Device that can detect any Dji drone in the air and grab its identity and the email associated with its activation! This is only going to become common place and the information the drone is broadcasting will increase maybe they will even be able to intercept the drone and take it down to the authority with the detection device and confiscate it! Who knows how far Dji will go with the device maybe even access any drone manufacturers drone, the airports may even get a drone shield that prevents them from getting to close? A type of defensive avoidance system?.. anything is possible I guess?

Yes, but that specifically address Part 107. "This advisory circular (AC) provides guidance for conducting sUAS operations in the NAS in accordance with Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 107" So that doesn't apply to hobbyist. Right?
If a hobbyist wants to fly VLOS in his own yard, and ceiling is 500 OVC he would be unable with these rules. I am still confused by the whole 107 vs hobby rules.

Please don't think I want to fly up and operate right outside the clouds. I have too much flight time In airplanes to be that stupid. I am not amused by all of the idiots flying through clouds, and setting distance records, and other irresponsible, selfish acts. I think mommy should take their drones and make them stay in their rooms for a week. And with the number of such idiotic videos I see here, my confusion may not be a problem for long. Congress will likely have to direct the FAA to clean this mess up and it will be 107 or nothing for anything with the performance of a Mavic.

hi everybody,I need your expert advice please.i fear to rise my mavic over the fog/clouds to take pictures of the mountains.which kind of risk I would face?is anybody so kind to give me a short lesson on this topic?i would be very grateful.best regards from Roma.michele
Its illegal to fly into fog or clouds!

I saved enough of the video to try to figure out if this guy is in the USA? I don’t think he is by the cars i can see! I don’t see any vehicles that you would normally only see in North America I’m trying to see the tag on one of the parked cars he didn’t blur everything out that can locate him, I used to work for a asset recovery firm knows as W.I.R.B in the NW USA I am still thinking like a repossession agent lol if I figure out where he is I will be sure to let everyone know here he might be a neighbor of yours?
It was not in the USA so the FAA and their rules have absolutely nothing to do with it. However, where I believe it was filmed in my opinion has tighter rules than the USA.

Some months ago I flew my Phantom 3 Standard up above fog to 110m. Didn't use the Mavic. Anyway, got some great shots, but on landing the Phantom was dripping wet. Didn't seem to effect it. I did hover at ground level for a few minutes to dry it out. On that occasion I was glad I used the cheaper Phantom 3. (Poor thing. I always send it in first if something a bit iffy).

Attachments

• DJI_0999.JPG
    DJI_0999.JPG
    691.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Please do not post political comments on the forum as it is not the place to express your personal views. Please stick to the topic of UAV's as per the rules - Community Rules
  • Also, please post factual information regarding rule & regulations. If you make a statement, back it up with a source. I see far too often people quoting 'laws' which do not exist. Do not post your personal opinions as new or uninformed members will be getting conflicting and confusing information. Lets be sure they get the correct information to operate safely.
  • If the thread continues to degrade we will be closing it.

Having told us half of your life, about the miserable thieves and your intentions for the future what else of your thoughts did you want to transfer to us?

Didn’t think my week would bother anyone it was a simple vent and why my plans to fly my new drone at various places across the USA were basically ruined,

Didn’t think my week would bother anyone it was a simple vent and why my plans to fly my new drone at various places across the USA were basically ruined,

If I don’t care for something I see I just pass over it ! I don’t call or email the editor of a paper or blog because I didn’t like what was written! I have the ability to turn the page and move on!

Thought I was on topic I wanted to travel east to west and back and my plans were ruined someone made a remark I responded sorry
Your original post was on topic, it just degraded from there, not that it was your fault. Let's just figure all the past post here are water under the bridge and carry on. ;)

hi everybody,I need your expert advice please.i fear to rise my mavic over the fog/clouds to take pictures of the mountains.which kind of risk I would face?is anybody so kind to give me a short lesson on this topic?i would be very grateful.best regards from Roma.michele
I tried fly above some rare fog at my house. I figuered it wouldn't be very thick, but 400ft later I wasn't through it.
No way was I going higher because of the area I'm in.
It did come back covered in moisture though, so even if I had got above the fog the video would have been no good.

I'm not a licensed pilot, or even a pt 107 licensee. Maybe the IFR pilots among us can answer this question: Let's say you had a fog layer with top below 400' AGL. Could you file an IFR flight plan with the FAA for a 10 minute flight above the obscuration level?

You know what it's people like you that give everybody else a bad rap...your the reason we have so many restrictions for flying our drones...wise up my friend and fly responsibly
Not my video dude. Next time check the uploader. My handle on YouTube is the same as my handle here. I simply posted this video to show how the Mavic handles cloud flights. Nothing more.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue