DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying M2E from a metal boat at speed

Poss272

Reactions
I can fly my M2E from my all-steel boat at speeds up to about 8 knots. I get the magnetic interference warning but it really isn't an issue. What is a problem is once I go above 8 knots to chase down the big fish I get an IMU error. Does anyone know if this can be bypassed or disabled? Sometimes it's not viable to slow down or stop to launch. I could do it with my old Parrot (boo, hiss) but the Mavics seem to be too smart for their own good.

Does anyone know if this can be bypassed or disabled?
Do you mean this message?

Screenshot 2020-01-30 13.43.51.png

No - this can't be disabled or bypassed.
The aircraft must not be moved until the IMU has finalized its startup sequence (Something like 2 secs)

The smart part is there for good reason.
Please get back to this adventure in a the future post and let me know how it progresses. I would be curious as to how wet the m2 may get.
TIA.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Do you mean this message?

View attachment 92592

No - this can't be disabled or bypassed.
The aircraft must not be moved until the IMU has finalized its startup sequence (Something like 2 secs)

No, sorry I thought I took a photo of it last time. It's a warning in the Pilot app that says IMU error, or IMU calibration error. It clears once the boat slows down. Next time I'm out I'll take another photo and post it. Thanks

do you hand launch your mav and is the boat moving in the swell at the time you launch
a combination of mag interference from the boat and the fact that the drone is moving around when it first starts up is conflicting the sensors ie accelerometers, giros and compass and the drone is not getting a chance to finalise its settings and it seems that when you go over a certain speed it gives you the error message ,if possible could you take off from shore then fly behind the boat and see if the message still comes up at 8 knots

If not hand launching, try it. You need to get it away from the boat steel when launching.

You probably know this, but if moving make sure there is nothing down-motion of the Mavic or it will run into it as the Mavic will be holding it's position.

There's always one......... As stated, I've done this before. Grow up
Based on the information you provided in post number one, my thinking is that it‘s just a matter of time until the splash occurs. Only my opinion based on the description you provided. I’ve been wrong before and hopefully that will prove to be the case here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard