DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying out of line of sight

I tend to believe everone has their own level of risk tolerance and, generally speaking, the higher the risk the greater the potential reward.

That said, I don't mind there being regulations in place for sharing airspace and urging someone to do one's best not to drop one's UAV on someone's head. Most people doing most things are not going to be experts at it.

But some of the regulations I've been learning about are flat out ridiculous. I'm looking at you, Greece. Pre-approved flight plans for any flight? I'm sorry but I'd avoid the hassle and risk the fine in cases like that. I say, if we need a license that is reasonable to obtain - so be it. But that should allow any reasonable flight vector that won't put people or other aircraft at risk.

Anyways, Santorini is overrated. If not for some white and blue paint, it would be a scorched island with some tomatoes, grapes and concrete.

...so next generation car will have a NO DRIVE ZONE.. as we have now a NFZ!

All cars have a NO DRIVE ZONE, it's called the wrong side of the road. You could argue that it is a stupid rule, because obviously you would only drive on the wrong side of the road when there was no one coming. Get in the habit of driving on the wrong side of the road and eventually you will cause an accident.

Reactions: TxArch DroneGuy
I tend to believe everone has their own level of risk tolerance and, generally speaking, the higher the risk the greater the potential reward

That's exactly why you shouldn't be anywhere near an aircraft. For that matter, a sharp stick might also be a bad idea.

Those of us who operate aircraft safely on a regular basis tend to believe that everyone has their own level of risk tolerance and that generally speaking the lower the risk, the greater the chance we all get to go home at the end of the day instead of making a smoking hole in pursuit of a "greater reward".

Anyways, Santorini is overrated. If not for some white and blue paint, it would be a scorched island with some tomatoes, grapes and concrete.

Fortunately, you are absolutely free not to go to Santorini and trouble it's inhabitants with your arrogant, disrespectful attitude.

Is that all of Greece or just the tourist sucker areas?

At least from this article, the current drone regulations in Greece are:
  • Register your drone
  • Obtain a drone pilot license
  • Register yourself in civil aviation authority as a licensed drone operator
  • Obtain an aerial works license (annual renewal)
  • Insure your drone for causing damages to 3rd parties for a value of 1m Euro
Before flying:
  • Apply for a license to fly at least 10 days before
  • If they grant you the license, you must inform and deliver a copy of your license to local security authorities like police.

In addition to the normal restrictions about crowds, LOS, airports etc.

It seems that the regulations are ever evolving in many places in the world. One would hope that there will eventually be easing on LOS regulations given advances in range and realtime camera views.

There is a topic regarding drone legislation in Italy and Greece. You can find it here: Italy and Greece drone regulation

I agree that pre-approved flight plans are a joke, a simple registration and local laws are enough but should be accompanied by operator's common sense and responsible flying. Santorini seems scorched since the island spoons the vast crater left by one of the biggest volcanic eruptions in history (16th century).

Reactions: bucefalo
Santorini seems scorched since the island spoons the vast crater left by one of the biggest volcanic eruptions in history (16th century).

Great white wine though. Wifey and I really enjoyed the Asyrtiko when we were there. No doubt the volcanic nature of the land is what lends it that delicious minerality.

Thanks for the link!

totally agree about the wine, on my second visit in santorini some yrs ago with my ex I ended up drinking wine next to the beach instead of swimming, an old local guy invited me to drink with him outside his house. He told me about the history of the island and we sat there drinking for a couple of hours. I left with two extra bottles of wine, almost drunk, and with a quite angry girl next to me....(LoL). Local people seemed very friendly. Did not like the prices though, especially in the bars and restaurants next to the caldera. Overrated for sure... but tourism is business here, and like all business, you can find pros and cons... I will never forget sunset in the caldera... amazing scenery

sorry for the off topic

All cars have a NO DRIVE ZONE, it's called the wrong side of the road. You could argue that it is a stupid rule, because obviously you would only drive on the wrong side of the road when there was no one coming. Get in the habit of driving on the wrong side of the road and eventually you will cause an accident.
this is nonsense.. there are rules for the car.. there'll be rules for drones! but restrictions are just pointless! everybody must be conscious of rules just like it happens when you drive your car!

I did LOS quite some times. To be confident, firstly test the RTH capability by switching off RC, test it in a short distance. Then you will get confident.
Secondly, set the RTH height more than any structure height. good luck

All I do is out of line of site. I usually fly 2 miles out depending where I am.

Just watch your battery and any warnings that pop up. Ensure Return to Home is set at a appropriate height and you're good.

Anyone who's says they're always flying within line of sight is full of ****. Period. The Mavic is so small and fast, it's easy to lose it. Unless you're flying in tripod mode, you're going to lose sight of it. That simple. You may look down at the controller (breaking LOS for all you drone police out there) and quickly lose it as it is so small.

I have perfect eye sight and find myself loseing it all the time, especially in sport mode flying at 150-200ft in air. If I didn't have the phone display it would be lost.

Last edited:
this is nonsense.. there are rules for the car.. there'll be rules for drones! but restrictions are just pointless! everybody must be conscious of rules just like it happens when you drive your car!

Can you explain the difference between a rule and a restriction in your mind? Rules are generally put in place because people do stupid things. Just watch a youtube compilation of drone crashes and it's pretty obvious why some rules were put in place.

Do not take this as me advocating for banning drones but unfortunately as has been proven many times in our country when people choose to ignore laws already in place the government will make more laws that are stricter. Look to gun regulation if you want a good example of stacking laws on top of other laws. I highly doubt the drone community has the organization or support to fight legislation like the gun community does.

Not going back into the debate on operating in LOS. For people a lot smarter than me, a question. Just out of curiosity.
If you take off in an open field, just for an example, and fly straight up to 400', then fly over a forrest of " average height trees", and continue to fly at 400 AGL, at some point/distance the drone will go out of sight...curvature of the earth, etc. What would that distance be?

I flew 1700 metres and then 1700 back, my mate drove his convertible whilst I piloted from the passenger seat. LOS all the way. Learnt a lesson as well, when we got to the end the actual ground lever had risen by 15 metres from the home point, it did not look it before we drove. Used Litchi waypoints later with respect to ground height and the far end went from 25m at home point to 40m at far end. I only used it after, (without flying the mission) to see what the height difference was. LOS is about seeing the other air traffic and being about to take action. In the UK you can fly FPV up to an altitude of 1000ft, yes 1000ft as long as you use a spotter. Proviso the spotter can see the drone.

Reactions: Saylor101
1.keep yor flight level and rth above any obstecale as towers .home .wires
2.dont use sport mood .
For the sensors to help you
3.dont fly to far (battery)
The way back can use more battery power

I never fly los .
But i plan my flight before i fly
As my alt and fly above places that i can find my drone if it land or crush

Reactions: Sew

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads