DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over mountain

But what you're REPEATEDLY missing is that 336 REQUIRES adherence to "community guidelines". The quoted FAA guidelines ARE the "community guidelines" if you are not following AMA or some other organization's guidelines. What "community guidelines" do you follow?

The FAA regulations are not part of what the FAA refers to as CBO nor are their regulations a part of community based safety guidelines. Section 336 points out that those are a _different_ set of rules. I say this as they then go on to say that those rules cannot conflict with the FAA regulations or the FAA's authority. It also makes no sense to post FAA regulations and then go on to comment about other entities making rules. If there were all from the FAA, they would all be listed in Section 336.

I mentioned this above.... that open ended CBO thing is to allow other entities to regulate the USE of airspace. But of course, this only applies when they have that authority. I gave an example above... I'll see if I can give another. Going back to the Causby case, a person has an easement into the air above their property. This means that they have somewhat of a right to limit the use to that airspace. In the Causby case the Supreme Court ruled that another person could not use that airspace when it limited the used the land below. Now I'm going to stretch this a bit and say that something like a city or state could make a law that states the same thing. The FAA is saying that this can be done as long as it does not interfere with the FAA's jurisdiction and regulations. What I can't say is if such a law would hold up as being lawful. I'm just trying to come up with an example of why the the regulation left that door wide open. The issue I see that open door creating is now every Tom, **** and Harry thinks that it allows them to come up with any limitation that they want.I say this as when you read these "laws" many of them put in limits as not to conflict with existing FAA regulations (like saying you can't fly under 400' because they think FAA airspace starts at 400'). This post would seem to contradict myself when I speak out against other local "laws" as not being lawful. Not really... though it's a fine line. Those "laws" usually speak against freedom of speech (limiting photos) or trying to governing people that they don't have control over (if they are not on that local parties land, such as city property). Again, if the right to govern that person's actions (such as being a member of the AMA) does not exist, they cannot apply those local regulations to that person. Control needed to exist beyond just being in the airspace.

You're also REPEATEDLY missing that 336 is not a regulation but a definition of what qualifies as a "model aircraft" exempt from FAA regulation. If you don't adhere to 336, you're not operating a "model aircraft" exempt from FAA regulation and therefore can be regulated by the FAA.
Section 336 is most _certainly_ a series of several regulations. There is no doubt about that. Its _very_ clear. It does _contain_ some definitions but it's simply not just the definition of "model aircraft". I don't know of anyone else that thinks it is. However, let me add that I think you make a good argument. I make the same point. However, my opinion is that the error is in adding VLOS to the definition of "model aircraft". If you were to accept this, then yes... Section 336 would not apply to anyone who flies outside of VLOS. I'm of the opinion that the error is adding that part to the definition and the rest of Section 336 is correct.

Edit: I said above that it was a set of regulations. That is still correct. I guess you could argue that it's a set of "rules" and if you adhere to those "rules" then the FAA's regulations don't apply. I'm not sure this is what you are saying but regardless, those are still regulations. if you don't follow them, you fall within a different set of regulations. If that is someone's argument you would just be arguing semantics.

However, I think what has been said if if you were to take that definition as it is, you could say that if you fly beyond VLOS that you are no longer flying a "model aircraft" and if this is true, you no longer get the "immunity" for given under Section 336 and would be subject to all requirements under Section 107 which includes not flying beyond VLOS. I think what is actually correct is, at worse, you'd still be under Section 336 and just in violation of.... well... what part of Section 336? Flying outside of the definition of "model aircraft"? That makes no sense. That is why I think that VLOS thing is simply screwed up. I think the FAA would _like_ you to think it means you cannot fly beyond VLOS but as I've stated above, we all know the FAA puts out incorrect information until they are called on it. They said the exact same thing about 400' until the AMA called them on it. Again, as I mentioned above, it's why I recommend people go right to the regulations and not what the FAA's interpretation.

Note: I've been wrong many times in the past. This may be one of those times. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct about this whole issue. I'm just putting my thoughts out there and people can decide for themselves.

Last edited:
The FAA regulations are not part of what the FAA refers to as CBO nor are their regulations a part of community based safety guidelines. Section 336 points out that those are a _different_ set of rules. I say this as they then go on to say that those rules cannot conflict with the FAA regulations or the FAA's authority. It also makes no sense to post FAA regulations and then go on to comment about other entities making rules. If there were all from the FAA, they would all be listed in Section 336.

I mentioned this above.... that open ended CBO thing is to allow other entities to regulate the USE of airspace. But of course, this only applies when they have that authority. I gave an example above... I'll see if I can give another. Going back to the Causby case, a person has an easement into the air above their property. This means that they have somewhat of a right to limit the use to that airspace. In the Causby case the Supreme Court ruled that another person could not use that airspace when it limited the used the land below. Now I'm going to stretch this a bit and say that something like a city or state could make a law that states the same thing. The FAA is saying that this can be done as long as it does not interfere with the FAA's jurisdiction and regulations. What I can't say is if such a law would hold up as being lawful. I'm just trying to come up with an example of why the the regulation left that door wide open. The issue I see that open door creating is now every Tom, **** and Harry thinks that it allows them to come up with any limitation that they want.I say this as when you read these "laws" many of them put in limits as not to conflict with existing FAA regulations (like saying you can't fly under 400' because they think FAA airspace starts at 400'). This post would seem to contradict myself when I speak out against other local "laws" as not being lawful. Not really... though it's a fine line. Those "laws" usually speak against freedom of speech (limiting photos) or trying to governing people that they don't have control over (if they are not on that local parties land, such as city property). Again, if the right to govern that person's actions (such as being a member of the AMA) does not exist, they cannot apply those local regulations to that person. Control needed to exist beyond just being in the airspace.

Section 336 is most _certainly_ a series of several regulations. There is no doubt about that. Its _very_ clear. It does _contain_ some definitions but it's simply not just the definition of "model aircraft". I don't know of anyone else that thinks it is. However, let me add that I think you make a good argument. I make the same point. However, my opinion is that the error is in adding VLOS to the definition of "model aircraft". If you were to accept this, then yes... Section 336 would not apply to anyone who flies outside of VLOS. I'm of the opinion that the error is adding that part to the definition and the rest of Section 336 is correct.

Edit: I said above that it was a set of regulations. That is still correct. I guess you could argue that it's a set of "rules" and if you adhere to those "rules" then the FAA's regulations don't apply. I'm not sure this is what you are saying but regardless, those are still regulations. if you don't follow them, you fall within a different set of regulations. If that is someone's argument you would just be arguing semantics.

However, I think what has been said if if you were to take that definition as it is, you could say that if you fly beyond VLOS that you are no longer flying a "model aircraft" and if this is true, you no longer get the "immunity" for given under Section 336 and would be subject to all requirements under Section 107 which includes not flying beyond VLOS. I think what is actually correct is, at worse, you'd still be under Section 336 and just in violation of.... well... what part of Section 336? Flying outside of the definition of "model aircraft"? That makes no sense. That is why I think that VLOS thing is simply screwed up. I think the FAA would _like_ you to think it means you cannot fly beyond VLOS but as I've stated above, we all know the FAA puts out incorrect information until they are called on it. They said the exact same thing about 400' until the AMA called them on it. Again, as I mentioned above, it's why I recommend people go right to the regulations and not what the FAA's interpretation.

Note: I've been wrong many times in the past. This may be one of those times. I'm not saying I'm 100% correct about this whole issue. I'm just putting my thoughts out there and people can decide for themselves.
Man, I have spent too much time on this thread, which is my fault.....
I like what you said. I'm not sure I would say the same, but I think you're right about the differences being mostly about semantics.
It also helps confirm that understanding the minutia of it all is not cut and dry.
Thanks for the post.

If you're a recreational flyer in the US, then there is no 400' AGL regulation. This is a common mistake due to the separate regulation for Part 107 certified sUAS pilots. It is, however, a good practice regardless. So, to your initial post, if you're flying in a mountainous or hilly area, feel free to set your Mavic max altitude to whatever you need, but be sure to set your RTH accordingly!

The RTH altitude is set in reference to your take off point, right? So what I'm wondering is if you take off from 1000' and have your RTH altitude set at 200', and you fly up a mountain to 2000', the Mavic would descend to 1200' to come home? Or would you have to adjust your RTH altitude to 2200' ?
How would the Mavic behave in this situation?

Last edited:
The RTH altitude is set in reference to your take off point, right? So what I'm wondering is if you take off from 1000' and have your RTH altitude set at 200', and you fly up a mountain to 2000', the Mavic would descend to 1200' to come home? Or would you have to adjust your RTH altitude to 2200' ?
How would the Mavic behave in this situation? This all gets pretty confusing.
If the Mavic is above its set RTH altitude, it will come home at its current altitude. It won't descend until it reaches the home point.

That makes sense. And if you fly down the hill from take off point, it rises to the set altitude above your take off point before returning.

Reactions: aesculus
How would the Mavic behave in this situation?

That really did not make sense. I'm not sure how you started at "take off from 1000'". When you take off, that is 0', not 1000'. So your post becomes... take off at 0' with RTH set at 200'. you then fly up mountain to 2000'. Now that is incorrect and needs to be corrected to 1000'. So basically you are 1000' above the take off point with RTH set at 200'.

However, as aesculus mentioned, the Mavic won't descend to the RTH, only acend.

Yes, I was referring to take of at 1000' elevation above sea level, and flying up a mountain that is 2000' elevation ..... Just a reference point I was using. Sorry, I should have said elevation above sea level. So yes, it it would be "Take off at point 0 but at 1000' elevation and RTH at 200' which is 1200' above sea level.

The DJI Go4 app makes no judgement whether you are in compliance with a "400 feet rule". It doesn't care how high you go, as long as it is under 500M from the takeoff altitude. So go as high up that mountain as you dare. Just make sure you have enough battery to get home.
But, the App will prevent a value larger than 120m from being entered in the max alt field.

But, the App will prevent a value larger than 120m from being entered in the max alt field.
mmm no the app allows you to enter any value up to 500m AGL

it is defaulted at 120 but can be raised to 500

edited to say The Mavic i bought in Thailand was set at 500m AGL when i picked it up, My Russian Mavic was set at 120m AGL

Refer to bolded. It makes no sense because of the way you're looking at 336. Again, 336 is not regulations, but stipulations for avoiding regulations. You can (and did) say that this is merely semantics, but it isn't, because of the bolded. Once you realize that 336 is a set of boundaries, it all makes sense. Then when you flight out of VLOS you're not in "violation" of anything, you're simply not flying within the bounds of 336 and no longer exempt from regulation. It's a regulation if there's a punishments for not following it. There's no punishment for not following 336, you simply lose regulatory immunity.

. Then when you flight out of VLOS you're not in "violation" of anything, you're simply not flying within the bounds of 336 and no longer exempt from regulation. It's a regulation if there's a punishments for not following it. There's no punishment for not following 336, you simply lose regulatory immunity.

Yes. Section 336 defines what a model aircraft is, but defines it mostly by how it's operated. If you don't fall within the definition, then you must comply with other applicable regs or, as you say, "lose the immunity" from other regs.

But you'd almost certainly be in immediate violation of other regs. One of the things you would lose immunity from is the requirement for N number registration. Your "model aircraft" registration would not apply, so you'd be an uncertificated pilot (assuming you don't hold a 107 certificate) operating an unregistered aircraft. That would be an easy bust. If you do hold a 107 cert, you'd be in violation of the Part 107 requirement for VLOS, and potentially other regs.

BTW, Part 107 operators can apply for a waiver from the VLOS requirement for certain operations if they can meet performance standards that convince FAA of equvalent safety. Presumably, this is how UPS hopes to be authorized to make drone deliveries of smallpackages

Reactions: AyeYo
Yes. Section 336 defines what a model aircraft is, but defines it mostly by how it's operated. If you don't fall within the definition, then you must comply with other applicable regs or, as you say, "lose the immunity" from other regs.

But you'd almost certainly be in immediate violation of other regs. One of the things you would lose immunity from is the requirement for N number registration. Your "model aircraft" registration would not apply, so you'd be an uncertificated pilot (assuming you don't hold a 107 certificate) operating an unregistered aircraft. That would be an easy bust. If you do hold a 107 cert, you'd be in violation of the Part 107 requirement for VLOS, and potentially other regs.

BTW, Part 107 operators can apply for a waiver from the VLOS requirement for certain operations if they can meet performance standards that convince FAA of equvalent safety. Presumably, this is how UPS hopes to be authorized to make drone deliveries of smallpackages

Absolutely correct, but I couldn't even get them to understand the point of 336, so I didn't want to further complicate things.

I understand that 400 feet is the maximum altitude allow by the FAA, but when flying to a mountain and ascending on a 45 degree angle,400 feet in relation to home is reached quikly and the mavic wont go any higher even though the mavic is 50 feet high at the moment in relation to the the terrain beneath. Is it ok in that scenario to raise the altitude in the settings to keep climbing the mountain as long as the 400 feet rule is observed ?Cause you usually get a warning from dji if editing altitude over 400. In reality, the altitude in relation to the ground beneath the mavic will never exceed the 400 limit, but in relation to the homepoint it would be about 800 feet.
P.S sorry for my grammar,english not my first language [emoji28]
Did the original question get answered? If the MP launches from pt.A and I want to fly it up the slope of a 410 ft mountain, the MP software will not permit the MP to get to the top because it will prevent any height over 400 ft relative to pt A. No FAA reg discussion, just MP limits question. Thank you.

Did the original question get answered? If the MP launches from pt.A and I want to fly it up the slope of a 410 ft mountain, the MP software will not permit the MP to get to the top because it will prevent any height over 400 ft relative to pt A. No FAA reg discussion, just MP limits question. Thank you.
The Mavic altitude limit is 500m, which is over 1500 feet. That is the physical altitude limit above your take off point.

I find it interesting about the debates of FAA rules and guidelines for the hobby. I think the regulations will get ironed out in the future. But for those that are flying above 400', please be careful. There is a large amount of class e airspace in the US with a floor of 700' AGL. The lowest object marked on a US sectional is above 400'. I would think that anything above 400' could be a hazard to other planes. But besides the zones, I really think the biggest threat to airspace safety is helicopters and drones. I often see them flying low.

The Mavic altitude limit is 500m, which is over 1500 feet. That is the physical altitude limit above your take off point.
My MP is restricted to 120m, which is 400 ft, the recommended height limit in USA. If I try to go any higher, I get a warning message and the MP will go no higher.

My MP is restricted to 120m, which is 400 ft, the recommended height limit in USA. If I try to go any higher, I get a warning message and the MP will go no higher.
Havent heard of this! You can't set your max altitude higher in the app?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf