DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Over Water - Some Results and Tips

GAGuy

Reactions
It's not "scientific" ... It's not "hyper-technical" just some thoughts and tips about flying over water.
In the end...
It's easier to just shut off all assisted flight tools so your MIND is focused on FLYING and not worrying about any EXTREME corrections the drone might make due to them.

What about 400ft over the ocean? Should downward sensors be disabled?

What about 400ft over the ocean?
The downward sensors are only used for positioning when the Mavic is at an altitude between 0.3 to 13 meters (42 feet). At 400 feet, they will not affect the positioning.

Reactions: metamatic and Balko
I can confirm what you said about the drone going down into the water. I've had to fight my Mavic with that as well. However, like other posters, I've also had mine go upward as well. I was flying over a lake (very low) yesterday and I think it did both at different times. I completely forgot to turn off my sensors yesterday. I really have no idea what the rhyme or reason is for one or the other when going straight.

A few months ago, while flying forward in Tripod Mode, it seemed like going left or right would push the unit up or down (I don't remember if left made it go up and right downward or vice versa). I was too busy to go into in further at that time and haven't needed to know since then, so didn't pursue it for more testing. Something to keep in mind, though, as a possibility.

Shooting flowers low, I also considered using the P3P simply due to its lack of downward sensors. Sometimes simple is better.

Reactions: metamatic
I operate over the sea from a RIB regularly and have found through a great deal of testimony bg thst by disabling 1. Landing Protection and 2. Pecision Landing ONLY within the downward sensor menu (the middle 2 options of 4 in the extended menu) it prevents the water surface disorientation and also prevents auto landing initiating uncommabded or as a result of RTH activation. Instead it will decend to a 0.5m Hover and await Manual landing. It also stops the Mavic trying to climb should you need to put your hand underneth for hand launch or recovery.
By keeping the other 2 elements of downward sensors enabled it maintains Mavic stability and the use of intelligent flight modes.

I operate over the sea from a RIB regularly and have found through a great deal of testimony bg thst by disabling 1. Landing Protection and 2. Pecision Landing ONLY within the downward sensor menu (the middle 2 options of 4 in the extended menu) it prevents the water surface disorientation and also prevents auto landing initiating uncommabded or as a result of RTH activation. Instead it will decend to a 0.5m Hover and await Manual landing. It also stops the Mavic trying to climb should you need to put your hand underneth for hand launch or recovery.
By keeping the other 2 elements of downward sensors enabled it maintains Mavic stability and the use of intelligent flight modes.
hummm,it looks like mine will stay disabled then.(when I get it)I would say 70% of my flying is over water,95% hand catch,10% hand launch.Can all this be activated and deactivated while in the air?

Reactions: Merlin23
I have flown/filmed over water quite a bit. At 3m or more... everything has been very stable, with all Vision Positioning Sensors on.

hummm,it looks like mine will stay disabled then.(when I get it)I would say 70% of my flying is over water,95% hand catch,10% hand launch.Can all this be activated and deactivated while in the air?

Yes, you can change all of your selection whilst airborne but theres no real advantage over water in selecting Precision Landing or Landing Protection to ON as you simply don't need or want it.

Also... Use floats...
I fly over the Puget Sound most of the time. I use two "Getter Back" floats from the sport fishing industry. They are designed to attach to your fishing rod so when you drop it in the water they pop out a float attached to a hundred foot line. They just Velcro on the arms of the Mavic. You have to take them off to fold it up.

I just flew in Cancun and disabled no sensors. I had more interference from the boats navigation then anything else. Once the Mavic settled in it was all good. I shot 11gb worth of videos and photos. The lowest I hovered was about 10 feet above the waterline for a few seconds and the rest of the time I was above 100 feet.

I just flew in Cancun and disabled no sensors. I had more interference from the boats navigation then anything else. Once the Mavic settled in it was all good. I shot 11gb worth of videos and photos. The lowest I hovered was about 10 feet above the waterline for a few seconds and the rest of the time I was above 100 feet.
Where did you stay?
that is 1 crowded boat I go twice a year(dentist) last trip (june)was whale shark season.Took the drone but it was to sloppy out to break it outGOPR3208.JPG Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 8.19.06 PM.jpg

I fly over the Puget Sound most of the time. I use two "Getter Back" floats from the sport fishing industry. They are designed to attach to your fishing rod so when you drop it in the water they pop out a float attached to a hundred foot line. They just Velcro on the arms of the Mavic. You have to take them off to fold it up.
Any pics of these floats?? Seems like those white balls would mess up the handling capabilities and are something you could pick up at Micheals for a couple dollars...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N