DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over water...

Reactions
So I've had the Mavic 2 Zoom for about a month now and have already racked up quite alot of hours so would say I'm fairly proficient at piloting this thing!

I've been so scared and almost intimidated of flying over water, but I feel the time is approaching for me to make this bold move!

Before I do...

Does anybody have any tips or just guidance to avoid any problems when flying over water?

So scared of it just dropping out of the sky!

Thanks guys!

Reactions: SeanOlsonECwi
It’s no big deal just don’t count on the sensors being able to sense the water and automatically keep you from hitting the water. Frankly same advice for land, I never COUNT on the sensors for anything I just see them as a failsafe.

It’s not like a fly into a bug zapper where the drone can’t help but fly right in. You’ll be fine

It’s no big deal just don’t count on the sensors being able to sense the water and automatically keep you from hitting the water. Frankly same advice for land, I never COUNT on the sensors for anything I just see them as a failsafe.

It’s not like a fly into a bug zapper where the drone can’t help but fly right in. You’ll be fine

Yeah I try hard not to rely on sensors but they become a lifesaver haha!

Think I'll be getting to it soon..

Yeah I try hard not to rely on sensors but they become a lifesaver haha!

Think I'll be getting to it soon..

No kidding! The one time I used the sensors I was flying over a mountain well about my return to home height I go over the mountain and down the other side like an idiot and sure enough lose connection. Thought it was over but a minute later here the beeping of the drone in RTH and comes back like a loyal dog!

On review of the footage while dissconected the drone turns around to come home flys towards the mountain and then starts ascending once it sees there’s something in the way and then flys back in over

Reactions: Tom-Air
Yes, there’s some additional risk since a crash will have much less of a chance of aircraft recovery. Just take the normal precautions (pre-flight aircraft check, GPS reception, wind awareness) and you should be fine. Most of my flying is over water.

Reactions: Rich55
If you feel you have racked up enough hours that a defect would show and you feel it can be trusted, then the only problem about flying over water is the lack of landing zones and the slim odds of recovery if it does go down.
  • Fly along the shoreline if you can.
  • Try to have a tailwind on the flight back to shore. Keep in mind that winds aloft can be from a different direction and speed than at lower heights.
  • Don't get too close to the water surface. Downward sensors are not as accurate over water.
  • Turn off anti-collision sensors. If over open water there is nothing to hit anyway and reflected sun can cause a false-positive which could stop it from returning.
  • Do not stretch the limits of your battery. There are many videos of drones running out of power and slowly dropping into the water.
  • Mount floats or a GetterBack type device for insurance. I have not done this but some do.
  • If it does go into water (especially salt water), immediately disconnect and turn off the battery and rinse with clean water. De-ionized or distilled water is best. Then try your drying method of choice.
  • Water damage is covered by Care Refresh but requires a wreck to exchange for a replacement.

If you feel you have racked up enough hours that a defect would show and you feel it can be trusted, then the only problem about flying over water is the lack of landing zones and the slim odds of recovery if it does go down.
  • Fly along the shoreline if you can.
  • Try to have a tailwind on the flight back to shore. Keep in mind that winds aloft can be from a different direction and speed than at lower heights.
  • Don't get too close to the water surface. Downward sensors are not as accurate over water.
  • Turn off anti-collision sensors. If over open water there is nothing to hit anyway and reflected sun can cause a false-positive which could stop it from returning.
  • Do not stretch the limits of your battery. There are many videos of drones running out of power and slowly dropping into the water.
  • Mount floats or a GetterBack type device for insurance. I have not done this but some do.
  • If it does go into water (especially salt water), immediately disconnect and turn off the battery and rinse with clean water. De-ionized or distilled water is best. Then try your drying method of choice.
  • Water damage is covered by Care Refresh but requires a wreck to exchange for a replacement.

Class!

Thanks for the list

I fly over the ocean 90% of the time. It is no different than flying over land. I always keep mine at 10 feet above the water never lower than that. Have fun and let the machine do its thing

I really appreciate this thread and the advice you guys have offered. I totally understand the fear of losing it in the water. My first ever flight was last Saturday and I had no problems but realize I have some confidence to gain still. I live on the water, and I am itching to photograph over water where I live, but I’m still collecting wisdom from you guys who have done a lot of flying. Thanks for the help!

Here's the deal- If you are flying over land at an altitude of 100 feet and it falls out of the sky- The drone is done- Same applies to ocean. Go fly over water and use common sense and have fun. I live on the ocean and the biggest thing that affects me are helicopters and sea gulls. Before take off make sure everything is working properly. Go have fun!

Reactions: Meta4
I've seen videos of people flying quads 4 or 6 miles out to sea WITH the wind, to investigate passing ships, then they seem suprised when they can't get back to land! Never fly too far out with the wind, as it take twice as long to get back, and batteries never last as long as you think they should. 90% of my flying is over the sea, but the way.

So I've had the Mavic 2 Zoom for about a month now and have already racked up quite alot of hours so would say I'm fairly proficient at piloting this thing!

I've been so scared and almost intimidated of flying over water, but I feel the time is approaching for me to make this bold move!

Before I do...

Does anybody have any tips or just guidance to avoid any problems when flying over water?

Thanks guys!

I've had over 100 flights with the mavic P2 and many times over water, never had any issues but once I went down close to a river and lost signal because trees blocked my LOS, quickly elevated and no problem but it was a lesson learned.

I bet more than 80% of my flight time has been over water. Just dont try to skim too low and it will be no different than flying over land.
Same for me. I fly over water almost all the time. I find the scenery is usually better and there usually aren't people you have to worry about or private property owners.

Reactions: yankfanp

Before I do...

Thanks guys!

I dropped my "training" drone in a lake...a $350 drone...and so when I bit the bullet and bought my Mavic Pro at double the investment, I was "terrified" of flying it over water. I was ecstatic when I found out that my homeowners insurance (State Farm) had a loss policy that would pay the verified purchase price of my Mavic if I lost it. Cost me $70.00 per year. Talk about peace of mind! I live in St Augustine Florida which is practically surrounded by water!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229