DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying over water

. . . and the more you fly (especially the Mavic Pro!) the more confidence you'll gain in the craft and its amazing technology. Suggestion: When flying over water (rivers, lakes, whatever), maintain a clear line of sight (actually, I mean line of signal) between you and the drone. Don't fly behind anything (like an island or a cliff.) -- Losing the signal for 10 seconds causes an auto RTH. I flew behind a cliff once and the drone did exactly what it was supposed to do - and I never saw it again.

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi
I am newbie too. I lost my MPP at GUlf of Mexico
Hi all,
I’m a newbie and have only got my MPP in the past month and have only done a few flights and still testing the capabilities and learning as I go.
Just wondering has anyone else (that live near the sea or lakes) gone on missions way out on water and been worried about their baby losing signal or being hit by a seagull! I have only gone about 200mtrs offshore but am wanting to venture our past ships that are at an anchorage point around 3km out.
Cheers
PJ
Hi
I lost my MPP in the Gulf of Mexico ??. Don’t get too excited :). Now i am being careful with my new MP (downgraded) I am aways at beginner mode for a while. It will take sometime to get real familiarity on this MP. I think DHP is really important whan flying above the sea on a moving ship. (abuavdc) Active tracking update the aircraft position continuously if the subject is about 15 meters and so on. I am not really sure if it lands 15 mtrs away from the last recorded HP.

Hi all,
I’m a newbie and have only got my MPP in the past month and have only done a few flights and still testing the capabilities and learning as I go.
Just wondering has anyone else (that live near the sea or lakes) gone on missions way out on water and been worried about their baby losing signal or being hit by a seagull! I have only gone about 200mtrs offshore but am wanting to venture our past ships that are at an anchorage point around 3km out.
Cheers
PJ
Getting her back is always a worry when over terrain where retrieval is difficult or impossible (like water or a glacier)
Learn to operate your drive flawlessly, get experience over land.
Always start with a full battery and get away from water when your battery is getting low, try to plan your return to home flight over land even if that is a longer route.
With sailing yachts and other boats mind the ropes of the masts. Mind power lines hanging over water
Mind the wind, gusts=do not even attempt this.
Make sure your drone has enough juice for a return flight against the wind.
for the rest have fun like I did in Iceland, see 3:30 Min into the movie for low flying over the Fjallsarlon lake

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Getting her back is always a worry when over terrain where retrieval is difficult or impossible (like water or a glacier)
Learn to operate your drive flawlessly, get experience over land.
Always start with a full battery and get away from water when your battery is getting low, try to plan your return to home flight over land even if that is a longer route.
With sailing yachts and other boats mind the ropes of the masts. Mind power lines hanging over water
Mind the wind, gusts=do not even attempt this.
Make sure your drone has enough juice for a return flight against the wind.
for the rest have fun like I did in Iceland, see 3:30 Min into the movie for low flying over the Fjallsarlon lake

Wow!!! Amazing footage! Makes me want to go to Iceland. Did you fly higher up the glacier? Would have been interesting to explore each site you went to.
Love the family shot around 4:05 min, might have to try that one too [emoji106]

Wow!!! Amazing footage! Makes me want to go to Iceland. Did you fly higher up the glacier? Would have been interesting to explore each site you went to.
Love the family shot around 4:05 min, might have to try that one too [emoji106]
Nope, I did not fly all the way to the glacier but I've flown over other glaciers like Svinafelljökull (
). The 4:05 canyon is Fjaðrárgljúfur where Jon Snow and Deaneris Targarean flew their dragons in GoT season 9, one the the first episodes. All locations can be found on the south coast and the Sneafellsness peninsula and our trip was for 2 weeks, including 2 days in Landmannalaugar.
Iceland is pretty cool but also the most expensive country in Europe. Save a lot of money, get familliar to where the most amazing locations are (advice to check out Mads Peter's video-log of Iceland:
).
Mads Peter is missing Landmannalaugar though, which takes beautiful volcanic landscape to a whole new level.
Finally, make sure you book a long time up front. Enjoy the scenery but please respect nature, it is very fragile that far up North and with millions of tourists every year

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
the only difference between flying over water as apposed to land, is the fact that you are most likely not going to be able to retrieve your drone from a watery grave, but that is a risk that you take. i flew over a large lake today,for the first time and i must admit,that i was very nervous, as i knew that should something have gone wrong, my mav would have been a goner,every flight we do is a calculated risk,but every successful return home makes it worth while

OMM, I'm proud of you. It seems like just yesterday you were giving me a lecture about flying low over water. Now you can only lecture me about flying low. Progress I think.

Take care and happy flying! (over whatever that may be)

Excellent video! Could you tell me what the music is called please?
Thank you.

For most of my landscape videos, I use music from various movies. For the "Booshing" video I used "Suds on the Roof" by Thomas Newman from the movie Shawshank Redemption. The video was shot last winter in Frankfort Harbor, Frankfort, Michigan.

YouTube has a general license to post videos with copyrighted sound tracks, as long as you are not receiving money from the video. For those video where I must have full copyright, such as those submitted to a SkyPixel competition, I write and perform my own music.

Thank you.

For most of my landscape videos, I use music from various movies. For the "Booshing" video I used "Suds on the Roof" by Thomas Newman from the movie Shawshank Redemption. The video was shot last winter in Frankfort Harbor, Frankfort, Michigan.

YouTube has a general license to post videos with copyrighted sound tracks, as long as you are not receiving money from the video. For those video where I must have full copyright, such as those submitted to a SkyPixel competition, I write and perform my own music.
Thank you. It suits the footage perfectly.

I don't mind flying over water since I carry insurance on the drone, but be very aware of the wind conditions. You don't want to be fighting the wind to try and return to land.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54