DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying recreationally vs. Part 107

HumbearKS

Reactions
I tried to search here whether there might be a previous thread to my question but couldn't find it matching up with exactly my question: if I am Part 107 certified, my understanding is that I can still fly recreationally if I wanted to. It really depends on the mission/purpose of the individual flight. Is that understanding correct? Thanks and sorry if I missed the proper answer here somewhere....

As above poster said, you are correct.

Real question is though, how could the FAA really prove you were flying commercially if you claimed you weren't?

I am not advocating to lie, and I never would, but it's just a question.

I think they could get a warrant for your communications to see if you invoiced anyone for services, but i don't know if they would go to that extreme unless you caused major trouble or accident with your flight.

As above poster said, you are correct.

Real question is though, how could the FAA really prove you were flying commercially if you claimed you weren't?

I am not advocating to lie, and I never would, but it's just a question.

I think they could get a warrant for your communications to see if you invoiced anyone for services, but i don't know if they would go to that extreme unless you caused major trouble or accident with your flight.

They are unlikely to catch someone who doesn't have Part 107 doing the occasional flight for non-recreational purposes unless someone reports it. It's more relevant for anyone actually advertising their services or who frequently flies non-recreationally.

Reactions: Gindra
They are unlikely to catch someone who doesn't have Part 107 doing the occasional flight for non-recreational purposes unless someone reports it. It's more relevant for anyone actually advertising their services or who frequently flies non-recreationally.
Makes sense.

I have a 107 graphic "badge" on my commercial website.

I don't mean to gloat about being 107 certified but I do make a point to potential clients, when they inquire, that I'm 107 certified by the FAA and even if they don't hire me, to hire someone who is.

I'm in a local photography facebook group with about 250 other photographers from my city and I can count at least 10 of them every day that post commercial drone work and I know for a fact only 4 of them are actually 107 certified. I could cause a big problem and report them all. But I'm not really like that. I'll let FAA handle it

Makes sense.

I have a 107 graphic "badge" on my commercial website.

I don't mean to gloat about being 107 certified but I do make a point to potential clients, when they inquire, that I'm 107 certified by the FAA and even if they don't hire me, to hire someone who is.

That's completely appropriate.

Reactions: x-uas and Gindra
@HumbearKS,

I asked the same question of to the FAA but also asked if the drone needs to be double registered for both commercial and rec use. I also asked about the differences when requesting airspace through LAANC. Here’s their response:

“Generally, as a Part 107 certified remote pilot, you can do everything a recreational pilot may do. The converse is not true...a recreational pilot may not do everything a certified remote pilot can.

Therefore, I recommend you register your drone(s) under Part 107. You do not need to double register as a recreational flyer.

You may request airspace authorizations regardless of whether you are operating recreationally or under Part 107. But keep in mind, when operating under the limited statutory exception for recreation, you may only request UAS Facility Map (UASFM) altitudes or lower. (For example, if you request to fly at 200 ft in a 100 ft grid you will be denied. You may not operate in a 0 ft grid.) Under Part 107, you may request to fly higher than the UASFM grid, but no higher than 400 ft.”

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne