DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying under trees - gimbal switched to FPV mode

Freddy K

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Mini 2 and experienced something strange during one of my first flights.
I was flying slowly under a double row of big trees, just forward in a straight line between the two rows of trees.

When trying to keep a straight line by moving the right stick to the left and right, the gimbal did not compensate the movement. It behaved as if it was in FPV mode (I noticed this when reviewing the video afterwards).

Could the trees be the cause of this behaviour?
The thick foliage of the trees "might" have blocked the GPS signal, I did not verify/check that at the time.
Is this "normal" behaviour?

Reactions: BoomerMark
Hi,
no, this is not normal.
Check my video below, the first 2 scenes: The first one is flown backwards with only minimal stick corrections, in the second there is a major stick movement, but the gimbal keeps steady:

Loosing GPS should have no impact to the gimbal movements. Try to calibrate the gimbal... good luck!

I have an M2 Pro which, under certain conditions, will switch itself to FPV mode.
This usually occurs when taking successive AEB shots with jpg and RAW turned on. I flip it back to Follow and all is good for a while. This drone has nevee been impacted in any way.

I tried the same flight again today, under the same trees and lo and behold... the gimbal behaved as FPV.

I looked in the DJI Fly settings and indeed: FPV mode was selected. After setting it back to FOLLOW, I tried the same flight AGAIN and everything went fine.

My previous flight was last sunday (somewhere else) and I cannot remember changing the gimbal mode to FPV that day.
So it "looks like" it switched to FPV automagically at some point.

I will keep an eye on this during future flights to see if I can reproduce the issue and if I can find some logic in its behaviour.

Oh, BTW, I still had 14 satellites under the tree foliage today so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

1655907595193.png

Last edited:
I tried the same flight again today, under the same trees and lo and behold... the gimbal behaved as FPV.

I looked in the DJI Fly settings and indeed: FPV mode was selected. After setting it back to FOLLOW, I tried the same flight AGAIN and everything went fine.

My previous flight was last sunday (somewhere else) and I cannot remember changing the gimbal mode to FPV that day.
So it "looks like" it switched to FPV automagically at some point.

I will keep an eye on this during future flights to see if I can reproduce the issue and if I can find some logic in its behaviour.

Oh, BTW, I still had 14 satellites under the tree foliage today so that doesn't seem to be the problem.
It might be worth checking that setting before each flight until you solve the mystery.

I have all of my Minis set to FPV mode by default. If you're more of a pilot than a photographer, once you get the FPV view, you can't go back...

:cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne