DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with line of sight

I like your opinion, and REALLY wish it applied, but it does not (PLEASE let's not get into a urinating contest interpreting the rules). The FAA has outlined them pretty darn clearly, full contents of the FAA SUMMARY OF SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT RULE (PART 107) can be found here:

Federal Aviation Administration, Washington, DC 20591

SUMMARY OF SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT RULE (PART 107)

• Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS. Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the visual observer.
  • At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.
Good posting........if your a commercial drone pilot. DOES NOT APPLY TO HOBBY FLIERS. See reference in my above posting.

I just ordered a couple of high intensity FLYTRON - STROBON CREE STANDALONE - WHITE & RED totally self contained Strobes which I intend to attach to the drone with the white one aimed forward and the red one aimed rearward. This should hopefully allow me to easily determine if it is flying away or towards me. Exactly how I will arrange them remains to be seen, but they are very small, weigh next to nothing and will attach with velcro type fasteners.
I will report once I get them and try them out. They are on backorder at this time, so don't hold your breath.

Reactions: 2hi2fly
In my opinion, I take "line of sight" as a line from the mavic to the controller without any obstructions. It doesn't literally mean to have a visual confirmation of the mavic using your eyes. The mavic could be 3 miles away and you cannot see it. But your controller can still "see" the mavic.
Right.

You have not read all the posts in this thread. The actual language from the FAA was listed. The FAA did specify that you do need to be able to see it with your unaided eye, without binoculars, telescopes etcetera.

Last edited:
One thought about comparing the Mavic to a RC helicopter. The one poster said that you always keep your eyes on an RC helicopter or you're probably not going to be able to go home with it.

My thought when I read that is that when I see the little Mavic as a speck, I can't tell its orientation, so I could not fly it home just from looking at it. I still have to look at my controller to see its orientation. An RC helicopter far away I guess you would trial-and-error it until it seemed to move closer to you.
Your post struck a chord as I was once in the same boat. But it was simply a lack of knowledge on my part. I now know it is actually extremely simple to orientate the speck in the distance drone and have it fly back to you. You just need to know the technique. Once you know, you will be able to confidently throw a towel over the RC and fly it home without so much as a glance at it.

Pitch Forwards, If drone moves leftwards (right) across sky, you need a blip of to left (right) rudder to turn it back towards you. Each time you pickle the left (right) rudder the lateral movement will decrease. Eventually when it is no longer moving laterally in your field of view with forward pitch it will be flying directly at you. Just give the rudder 1/4 sec bursts so it rotates in increments.
So pitch forward, ask you self which way it is moving and apply same rudder in increments until movement stops.

This explains it properly.

I have lost visibility of mine 20 feet away because of the background. Could hear it but could not see it. Now for the people that r following the rules to a T. What r your thoughts on the goggles. As soon as u put them on u r breaking the rules. Mavic is 5 feet in front of u but u have goggles on so zero visual line of sight.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Well, I guess with goggels the LOS would be from the drone to you. As long as you can see yourself you should be ok, no?

Yes. You can find the rules/laws that apply to hobbyists here.

According to this FAA chart a hobby flier:
Can Fly over 400 feet
Can Fly during the day or night
Can Fly at or over 100 mph
Can Fly over people
Can Fly from a moving vehicle

Is this correct?

LOS is pretty well and clearly defined in the various jurisdictions. BS opinions count for nought.
I surprised myself in being able to see mine out out to 2,800' away. Ideal conditions and knowing where to look I guess.
No way I could see my Mavic that far, I can't even see my Phantom past 1100 feet.

No way I can usually see mine that far. It was optimal conditions, clear air, contrasting background. Often cant see it at 200' against clutter.

Reactions: Kestrel
i was flying my Mavic in an open area about 1/2 mile from my house. Then I got daring and took it up 200 feet and turned it towards my house. It was a cloudy day and when the Mavic was maybe less than half way there I could not see it. I was flying by my iPhone. I paid close attention to make sure I didn't get a weak signal which I didn't.
My question is how how are people flying with line of sight when I only went a 1/2 mile and couldn't see the drone. It was a little scary. If I flew a mile or two what the heck would that be like.

.5 miles = 800 metres. I doubt anybody can see an MP at 800m. It's just too small.

Reactions: Kestrel
Can Fly over 400 feet
Can Fly over people
Which set of community-based safety guidelines are you following?

Well, I guess with goggels the LOS would be from the drone to you. As long as you can see yourself you should be ok, no?
I honestly use that all the time. But that presupposes that the video channel is intact. If it goes dead, then you are left with RTH or VLOS control. I like this technique - IF I can see my bird out over the ocean. Sometimes nearly impossible.

Reactions: AyeYo
I just ordered a couple of high intensity FLYTRON - STROBON CREE STANDALONE - WHITE & RED totally self contained Strobes which I intend to attach to the drone with the white one aimed forward and the red one aimed rearward. This should hopefully allow me to easily determine if it is flying away or towards me. Exactly how I will arrange them remains to be seen, but they are very small, weigh next to nothing and will attach with velcro type fasteners.
I will report once I get them and try them out. They are on backorder at this time, so don't hold your breath.

Please at least follow some aviation convention and point the white one backwards and the red one forwards. And maybe add a green one too:

upload_2017-3-20_12-55-59.png

Reactions: Bunny Too
According to this FAA chart a hobby flier:
Can Fly over 400 feet
Can Fly over people

Is this correct?

Just add a "not" after all those "cans" you're spot on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piggybank292003