DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying with line of sight

I think these type of responses are a great indicator of just how few people are registering their aircraft. The registration sites makes you read and agree to the restrictions before you can register.

I think these type of responses are a great indicator of just how few people are registering their aircraft. The registration sites makes you read and agree to the restrictions before you can register.
I think it is more an indication of the desire for individuals to follow their own rules or believe the rules don't apply to them. They are looking for "loop holes" so they can do what they want to do. It's pretty much human nature - at least some humans. I believe that eventually the "authorities" in the U.S. may step in and just legislate the limits which will be a negative for all of us. For example, they could require software limits to distance which would stop 90% of the rules / guideline violations. But it is an ugly mess if it goes that way. I am near a river which is technically a runway. No tower, etc. No one to call. But my app warns of it. It they prohibited me from flying in my back yard because of that, it would be a travesty. I hope it doesn't get to that. I'm going to enjoy every minute I have with my current "freedom" but I'll stay within FAA guidelines when they are applicable and generally not be an idiot. :eek:)

Reactions: AyeYo
"Flying for fun" is not a community-based organization. You could (for example) follow the AMA Safety Code.

Gmafb. I try to be overly kind when posting as something gets lost in text translation but you are now being kind of a d**k. It's off the chart YOU linked to. According to your statement and link what I was asking about is true. Now, do you want to fly by FAA rules or your "community based" rules? Make up your mind.

I try to be overly kind when posting as something gets lost in text translation but you are now being kind of a d**k.
I am? My apologies. I was simply trying to answer your question as accurately as possible.

It's off the chart YOU linked to.
Please re-read the chart I linked above. It explains that you must (by law) follow the guidelines of a community-based organization.

Reactions: Jaysjob

I read and registered. It doesn't sound like you did by your pithy comment.

Last edited:
I am? My apologies. I was simply trying to answer your question as accurately as possible.

Please re-read the chart I linked above. It explains that you must (by law) follow the guidelines of a community-based organization.
In case you didn't know this, there is an "ignore" option when you click on someone's name. I've just chosen to employ that. :eek:) Have a great day everyone and fly safely! :eek:)

My apologies as well. I misread your intent. The chart does say "community based safety guidelines" not "community based organization". I guess that's where my confusion comes in. I took this to mean my city's safety guidelines and ordinances. Apparently this point was not made clear when writing the rules?

In case you didn't know this, there is an "ignore" option when you click on someone's name. I've just chosen to employ that. :eek:) Have a great day everyone and fly safely! :eek:)

That's a shame. You might have learned something you didn't know. [emoji868]

I took this to mean my city's safety guidelines and ordinances. Apparently this point was not made clear when writing the rules?
Indeed. It's very vague. The FAA has no list of community-based organizations to use as a resource.

Keep it safe and you should be fine. Doing things like flying over people not involved in your flight is generally not a safe thing to do. If you injure someone, I'm sure you can imagine there are laws even outside of the FAA's control that you'll need to answer to.

Reactions: Jaysjob
Indeed. It's very vague. The FAA has no list of community-based organizations to use as a resource.

Keep it safe and you should be fine. Doing things like flying over people not involved in your flight is generally not a safe thing to do. If you injure someone, I'm sure you can imagine there are laws even outside of the FAA's control that you'll need to answer to.

Yes. I wholeheartedly agree.

I do apologize to the group for being a bit aggravated. Things can sometimes get misunderstood in text form and this was the case here. That's no reason for others to chime in with snarky jibes. I feel I was asking a legitimate question and was looking for others to help. That's the reason for me being here. To learn from others and to help where I can. Again, my apologies.

Reactions: Slantnose79

Or the FAA rules.

And I think that's what people are missing. People see what they want to see and that letter from the FAA is getting misquoted ad nauseam as "proof" that the FAA rules are optional. In reality, what it says is that YOU MUST follow the FAA guidelines, UNLESS you are following the rules of a community based organization - e.g. flying at an AMA airfield under the field's flight rules. Those are the only options: FAA rules or community organization rules. There's no third option for "whatever I feel like doing".

I think having it out of sight is one of the more fun aspects..... although the FAA disagrees lol.

Well, the FAA has the final say, but personally I think that they are behind the times and perhaps still living in an age when drones didn't have high-quality air-to-ground video links and the only way to gain situational awareness of what one's drone is doing is by visually sighting it in the sky. I think that a strong argument can be made that an operator has better situational awareness of their drone by looking down at their controller and the in-flight video display on their smartphone than looking up and spotting the drone in the sky. By looking down one has full information on the status of the drone, including its orientation, distance, height, battery level, motor rpm's, remaining flight time, etc.. By looking up at the drone, what can you learn? If it's at a distance, you can't even tell what the orientation of the drone is just by looking at it. Maybe you can make a very rough guess of its distance and height, but that's about it. Meanwhile, by looking up you're missing out on knowing how much flight time it has left (very important information!) and it's battery level. So, personally, the FAA rules don't make a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Well, the FAA has the final say, but personally I think that they are behind the times and perhaps still living in an age when drones didn't have high-quality air-to-ground video links and the only way to gain situational awareness of what one's drone is doing is by visually sighting it in the sky. I think that a strong argument can be made that an operator has better situational awareness of their drone by looking down at their controller and the in-flight video display on their smartphone than looking up and spotting the done in the sky. By looking down one has full information on the status of the drone, including its orientation, distance, height, battery level, motor rpm's, remaining flight time, etc.. By looking up at the drone, what can you learn? If it's at a distance, you can't even tell what the orientation of the drone is just by looking at it. Maybe you can make a very rough guess of its distance and height, but that's about it. Meanwhile, by looking up you're missing out on knowing how much flight time it has left (very important information!) and it's battery level. So, personally, the FAA rules don't make a lot of sense to me.

Agree with you generally but as long as this is the pilot qualification for most drone users the FAA will keep things contained. At least you're not in the dictatorship of Canada.

Reactions: Andrew F
Or the FAA rules.

And I think that's what people are missing. People see what they want to see and that letter from the FAA is getting misquoted ad nauseam as "proof" that the FAA rules are optional. In reality, what it says is that YOU MUST follow the FAA guidelines, UNLESS you are following the rules of a community based organization - e.g. flying at an AMA airfield under the field's flight rules. Those are the only options: FAA rules or community organization rules. There's no third option for "whatever I feel like doing".

No one is saying do what you feel like. The FAA guidelines do NOT say "community based ORGANIZATION" Organization being the key word here. It says "community based safety guidelines". This is a direct quote. Nowhere does it say you have to follow any organizational guidelines.
2ca8364e98799bb6c2cdbe2b0ae8c2ff.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky