DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found Drone

C225

Reactions
A friend found a DJI Mini 2 in a hedge in the Scottish Borders and passed it on to me to see if I could do anything with it as I'm the drone guy already having an Air 2 and a mini 3 Pro.

The SD card didn't seem to have anything on it but the drone itself looks basically brand new, I connected it to my controller and all seems to function but can't obviously check flying as it's bound to another account.

Anything else I can do to try to find the owner?

Contact DJI and give them the serial number, they can then email the owner.
If the drone is new the owner will probably be quite keen to get it back.
Did it have any CAA registration details on it?

If it boots you might be able to see the DAT number (in the DAT's name) in your flight logs. Make sure your screen device is set to NOT sync before you do anything otherwise a sync may remove the DAT.
That DAT number is probably only going to indicate where the drone is in the DAT-number-range 0 to 099 as the counter probably resets to 0 at DAT 99+1 but if the drone is new it is probable that the DAT number will be in the 0 to 20-30 range.
What state was the battery in?

Just as a matter of interest did you try to start the motors?
Does it mention that the controller is not bound to the drone?
If you are unable to start the drone's motors and the App warns you that the controller is not bound to the drone then it may turn out that the drone is covered by Flyaway insurance and that DJI have already supplied the owner with a new drone. If that turns out to be the case, I think DJI will ask you to return the drone to them. If so, I would presume they will prepay the carriage.

Last edited:
If you want any lost drone returned, you MUST put your contact details on the outside of the drone as well as on the sd card. I had one returned simply because my Mobile No. was printed on a label on the drone.
I affixed my phone number to all of my batteries. It cost me nothing and can't hurt.

I've sent an e-mail to DJI to see if they can locate the owner.

Drone had no markings at all on it and the battery was half full when my pal handed it over. Didn't even try to start motors to be honest just paired it to mine to see if it was at all functional .

Reactions: MA2 317