DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FOUND! Lost my Mavic Pro during storm

Another happy ending thanks to Sar104.
I have ventured up in medium wind with stronger gusts. Only once was it bad enough that I had to do anything our of the norm. My SOP is DO NOT USE RTH, reduce elevation as quickly as possible while engaging Sport Mode. If you aren't in an area where you can drastically reduce elevation then you get to the nearest place that you can even if you have to go with the wind a little, and then take it to the ground, take a hike and pick up Drone, thank Drone Spaghetti Monster.

Reactions: Usman
Ahh, i love a happy ending.

Reactions: Usman
It's not as complicated as it might appear, and the entire method is essentially described in post #32. In the case of a steady wind-induced drift in P-GPS mode, then once you have the .txt flight log converted you have access to all the necessary information. Specifically the following fields:
  1. OSD.flyTime: elapsed flight time in seconds
  2. CENTER_BATTERY.fullCapacity: full battery capacity in mAh
  3. CENTER_BATTERY.currentCapacity: current battery level in mAh
  4. OSD.latitude: decimal degrees
  5. OSD.longitude: decimal degrees
  6. OSD.xSpeed: velocity north in m/s
  7. OSD.ySpeed: velocity east in m/s
  8. OSD.height: altitude above home point in meters
  9. OSD.flycState.RAW: flight mode (P-GPS is 6, RTH is 15, ATTI is 1)
  10. SMART_BATTERY.landBattery: the FC's estimated battery percentage at which it will commence autoland
In P-GPS mode when uplink is lost the aircraft will attempt (or continue to attempt in this case) to RTH, and then autoland when the battery percentage (100 x CENTER_BATTERY.currentCapacity/CENTER_BATTERY.fullCapacity) decreases to the calculated minimum level from which it can land from its current altitude (SMART_BATTERY.landBattery). The time at which autoland will occur can be estimated by extrapolating the decreasing battery percentage until it meets the autoland level. In the graph that is the intersection of the dashed red line and the dashed orange line.

View attachment 39621

Reading off the bottom time axis then gives the estimated autoland start time - in this case 1150 s. If it was drifting steadily before downlink is lost then that drift rate can be used to estimate where it will be at the autoland start point.

You can (a) use the latitude and longitude data (converted to distance north and east since lat/long is not linear on the ground) or the x and y speeds, either (b) directly (averaged at the end and multiplied by elapsed time to get distance) or (c) integrated with respect to time to give distance north and east and then extrapolated by linear fit to the appropriate time. If the aircraft is basically moving directly away from the home point you can also simplify the problem and (d) just use the calculated distance from home point field in the data (CALC.distance), extrapolating that from the last recorded point at the appropriate rate. I generally use either (a) or (d) depending on the situation.

Anyway - in the graph (d) is used, and the distance of the autoland point from the homepoint is found by extrapolating the distance data (blue) with a linear regression fit to the last part of the data when the aircraft was in RTH mode (dashed blue trace) to the 1150 s mark giving 9620 m. Then estimate the time required to autoland from the current altitude (need to take into account any change in ground elevation from the takeoff point) and add that to the time to get the estimated landing time since drift will continue during descent (around 30 s from 80 m at the default descent rate fo 3 m/s in this case). Bear in mind that the drift rate will likely decrease with altitude, and so this should be a bounding upper value. Extrapolating distance further to that time in this case gives 9985 m.

Direction of travel can be derived from the final averaged values of x and y speed, or estimated directly in Google Earth from the kml flight track. Then it's just a question of plotting the estimated track to the appropriate distance in Google Earth to find the estimated landing point, with some appropriate estimates for error in track direction, based on how steady the drift direction was at the end of the logged part of the flight.

The main source of error is an unsteady wind field, leading to variation in drift rate and direction. There is also an assumption that after the downlink is lost (end of the log) then either the uplink (control) is also lost or that the pilot doesn't send more control inputs (sticks or other commands) that will change the aircraft behavior.

I hope that helps.
You should have someone develop an app that incorporates your parameter inputs and make some $$

Invest a little money
My thoughts
First @sar104 strikes again. How ever humble you want to be, thank you for using your knowledge to help those in need.
IF you have good cellular coverage and good cellular coverage every where you fly, great. If NOT, think of a Marco Polo tracker. It relies only on the transmitted signal from the bug you put on the AC.

Do you have a photo of where you have mounted it to your Mavic. ?
I circled it in red. BTW they sell a waterproof version of this tracker which is a bit bigger, I got this one wet last week while splashing down like Apollo 11 using my Life Jacket (Pontoons). After that it was dead....put it in sealed container of rice for about 30 hours and it is working again!
011new.jpg

Reactions: Fried Toast
Tilting? I hope you are talking about your drone, otherwise this thread just went off the rails.
ha yeah just a lil off the rails with that. Nope not my drone hopefully. N, S, E, W are no longer true is all I meant. Nope the world can flip I just want to be able to see it from the air haha

ha yeah just a lil off the rails with that. Nope not my drone hopefully. N, S, E, W are no longer true is all I meant. Nope the world can flip I just want to be able to see it from the air haha

Oh I see - you meant magnetic pole shifts? That's been happening since the earth was first formed - perfectly normal.

Reactions: Kapstaad
So I read this thread with interest, having lost my cheap starter drone, I am cautious with the Mavic, but it seems (comparatively) hard to lose. Anyhow, I (as many others) were impressed by sar104's analysis. Then I noticed he is from Los Alamos... Makes me proud as I grew up there.. but not THAT smart! Lol.

May I suggest trying UAV Forecast. If it works in your location it is well worth it. It gives wind speed at the ground and in various elevations to 5,000'. It will give you a sanity check to see if you really want to risk your AC getting lost.

i don't understand why doesn't DJI install a built in tracker
Besides the above reasons, when the battery shuts off, there is no battery to power the locator.
If you can guarantee cellular coverage there are a multitude of options. If there is none OR you occasionally fly in areas where there is no cellular coverage then perhaps you might want to consider a Marco Polo

It will not shut down immediately on landing, but it will shutdown once the battery level reaches around 3 - 4%.
if you had a forced landing, it is not long

Last edited:
Easy one to test.
About a month ago I was flying on a huge soccer complex in about 22 mph + significant gusts according to UAV Forecast. At 250' it was about 50 mph and gusts over 70 as best I remember. I took it up to 100' and watched it struggle and occasionally get blown back. I was surprised that when it got blown back it returned to it's original hover position. Sport mode was enabled but I stayed in P mode

I took it up to 150' and the buffering was even worse. When I got a low battery I let the MPP do it's thing. Eventually it started it's landing position and when it came down to about 5' i forced it to stay up until it overrode my stick command and landed. I took the lanyard off, put the RC on a table and walked about 15' to the AC. The AC had turned itself off by then.

About a month ago I was flying on a huge soccer complex in about 22 mph + significant gusts according to UAV Forecast. At 250' it was about 50 mph and gusts over 70 as best I remember. I took it up to 100' and watched it struggle and occasionally get blown back. I was surprised that when it got blown back it returned to it's original hover position. Sport mode was enabled but I stayed in P mode

I took it up to 150' and the buffering was even worse. When I got a low battery I let the MPP do it's thing. Eventually it started it's landing position and when it came down to about 5' i forced it to stay up until it overrode my stick command and landed. I took the lanyard off, put the RC on a table and walked about 15' to the AC. The AC had turned itself off by then.

That does seem to suggest that it turns off after autoland. I've tested autoland before to check the smart battery system but never noticed that - perhaps I didn't give it enough time.

May I suggest trying UAV Forecast. If it works in your location it is well worth it. It gives wind speed at the ground and in various elevations to 5,000'. It will give you a sanity check to see if you really want to risk your AC getting lost.

That seems to be a good website, will be checking it now on before i fly my drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme