DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV racing?

TheLightSpeed!

Reactions
I know off topic, hence the posting section... but does any of you here race fpv drones?

I watch a few episodes of the DRL and can't seem to find what machines are they using to compete with? I see fatshark goggles, and the controllers, but the drones seem standardized? With all these leds on them?

I fricking want one!

Any ideas or input?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Thanks... it's pretty vague. I suppose because they provide the drones for the racers.

I think I want to start researching building my own so I fully understand it. I think I posses the skills to build one, just need to kind of know the intellectual side of it. I've been reading all evening.

Thanks... it's pretty vague. I suppose because they provide the drones for the racers.

I think I want to start researching building my own so I fully understand it. I think I posses the skills to build one, just need to kind of know the intellectual side of it. I've been reading all evening.

Members in our forum aren't provided drones LightSpeed . Where you get that ?

I just bought a QAV-X Skitzo frame from getfpv.com. They had a 20% off black Friday sale and picked one up. It's a 210 size. I also have a decked out Bantam Boxer 180 that screams on 4S. I've attempted to race a couple times, but I need a ton more practice to be any good.

As far as DRL, here's what I found from their website: The DRL Racer2 is custom built for professional racing and measures in at 255mm. A carbon fiber frame protects electronic components and includes an integrated HD camera mount. Ultra-bright LED’s surround the drone for visibility and pilot identification. Racer2 is being used for the 2016 season. Source: Drone Technology - The Engineering Behind the Drone

They are a blast to fly, I kinda prefer "freestyle" more than racing though because the guys Ive raced with in LV just dominate the tracks. The hardest part about building them is getting all of the electronics into a very small frame, but man can they move. Ubuyadrone.com has some great products too, I prefer to use his ESCs in all my builds, the 30A Angry Beasts are rock solid and so small. It's definitely a learning curve though because of all the PID settings and stuff, upgrading flight controllers, etc.

Here's my YT channel, check out the garage flight and the boxer 180 flights. FPVJunkie

No standardization, people either build their own things with their choices of frame/FC/ESC/motors/props/RC/video or buy one of the hundreds of RTF offerings that they then may or may not customize.
There's an overwhelming amount of stuff to choose from indeed.

I've built my quads for several years, and now usually fly a Vortex 250 Pro because I was short on time the last year and didn't want to bother with build/setup anymore.

Reactions: Clinton1
No standardization, people either build their own things with their choices of frame/FC/ESC/motors/props/RC/video or buy one of the hundreds of RTF offerings that they then may or may not customize.
There's an overwhelming amount of stuff to choose from indeed.

I've built my quads for several years, and now usually fly a Vortex 250 Pro because I was short on time the last year and didn't want to bother with build/setup anymore.

I just watched it last night. They said specifically they provide the drones to the racers to make sure they are all the same?

The DRL is only one of the many organizations around drone racing which all have their own rules. This particular org may do it that way, but it doesn't mean everybody does, far from it.

I just watched it last night. They said specifically they provide the drones to the racers to make sure they are all the same?

Yes, DRL is setup to where all pilots fly the exact same setup from RC to video to goggles. They are tuned by DRL race staff and it's based more on pilot skills rather than building skills. DRL is the only one that does it like this. MultiGP and XDC just have different size classes and is more focused on having local races from beginners to experienced pilots.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580