DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

From 107 to 61?

MKurr

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Is there anyone on this forum who first got a Part107 certificate and then a private/commercial pilot's license?
If yes, how did it go?

Reactions: BigAl07
Is there anyone on this forum who first got a Part107 certificate and then a private/commercial pilot's license?
If yes, how did it go?
I went the "other" way around but there is not a lot of overlap really. Part 107 sort of hits on some aspects of Airspace, Sectional Charts etc but I would consider it as kindergarten for Part 61.

Being well versed in Part 107 is a plus for Part 61 but it's not a huge advantage other than giving you a taste of what's to come.

Getting my Pilots License is the 3rd best thing I've ever done in my life on this planet. I HIGHLY suggest it to anyone with even a slight interest in Manned Aviation.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I went the "other" way around but there is not a lot of overlap really. Part 107 sort of hits on some aspects of Airspace, Sectional Charts etc but I would consider it as kindergarten for Part 61.

Being well versed in Part 107 is a plus for Part 61 but it's not a huge advantage other than giving you a taste of what's to come.

Getting my Pilots License is the 3rd best thing I've ever done in my life on this planet. I HIGHLY suggest it to anyone with even a slight interest in Manned Aviation.
How many years/month do you estimate it would take to get one after having "just" passed the FAA part 107 test?

How many years/month do you estimate it would take to get one after having "just" passed the FAA part 107 test?

It all depends on how aggressive you are in your studies and how well you "take in" the lessons. Some people take to it like a duck to water and some people struggle with certain aspects of Manned Flight. I was fortunate, my company bordered our local airport so I was at the flight school each and every single day. I was always doing ground school or flying (some days both) and even with some horrible weather I completed mine in 4 months doing it myself.

I know some people who did it "leisurely" and it took many more months to earn their Part 61. Also if you go slow, take long breaks etc, you may have to re-take some of the training because each lesson builds upon the previous one so it's best to allocate the time and resources to stick with it non-stop.

If you take an actual Aviation Course you might do it even faster. I highly suggest Gold Seal Ground School

While @BigAl07 is absolutely correct that Part 61 covers a lot more material, I actually think that Part 107 provides a significant introduction to the ground school element. You have already learned a lot of the airspace and weather, and are somewhat familiar with CRM concepts and the nature of FAA regulations in general. And you have taken a knowledge test with exactly the same format and test supplement. Instead of being entirely new and mysterious, it's just more of the same. One difference is that while you can cover all the ground school material yourself, you need an endorsement to take the Part 61 test - you can't just book an appointment and take it as you can with Part 107.

The Part 61 flight training is a quite different beast, of course.

It all depends on how aggressive you are in your studies and how well you "take in" the lessons. Some people take to it like a duck to water and some people struggle with certain aspects of Manned Flight. I was fortunate, my company bordered our local airport so I was at the flight school each and every single day. I was always doing ground school or flying (some days both) and even with some horrible weather I completed mine in 4 months doing it myself.

I know some people who did it "leisurely" and it took many more months to earn their Part 61. Also if you go slow, take long breaks etc, you may have to re-take some of the training because each lesson builds upon the previous one so it's best to allocate the time and resources to stick with it non-stop.

If you take an actual Aviation Course you might do it even faster. I highly suggest Gold Seal Ground School
How much did all that cost if you don't mind me asking? I've seen estimates of anywhere from $10k to $20k.

How much did all that cost if you don't mind me asking? I've seen estimates of anywhere from $10k to $20k.

Well, mine was a long time ago so take that into account. Also I bought "blocks" of air time to get a discount. At our school if you paid in advance for X# of hours up front they gave a significant discount so I purchased the bulk of mine up front and saved a good amount. I would guess I got my license for maybe $7K? I would estimate it would cost nearly double that today even including pre-buying airtime. With today's gas prices, insurance prices, etc all through the roof it may be more than double to be honest.

107 is easy, 61 is not

Although the FAA gives CURRENT part 61 holders a break on the questions for a Part 107 rating, the amount of knowledge from 107 that transfers to a Part 61 rating is minimal IMHO

If you have the approx $12000 dollars it is going to take for you to get the minimum amount of hours to pass the test, plus a 3rd class medical, and good headphones, tablet with Foreflight, etc etc etc.... and the money to fly on a regular basis (figure $300/month if not in a flying club) in order to stay safe and proficient (legal and current does not equal safe and proficient!) than have at it.

Oh and if you think the 107 rules for commercial operation in order to sell pictures, etc are fun, wait til you see the rule book for fixed wing pilots..... minimum of 300 hrs IIRC and the passing of a much stricter check ride to get a commercial rating... and when I fly (non current but do get book time occasionally when I fly with an instructor) the pictures I get from a plane at 1000' AGL are not nearly as good as the pics I get from my drone at 400'

Buy this book ( 2021 FAR/AIM Book - ASA ) and start memorizing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue