DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Further info for Halifax airspace

Disregard. Google search states that SFC = Surface, and the the height is the top of the airspace, so Shearwaters airspace covers most of Dartmouth, Cole Harbour and downtown Halifax.

Yes... and No.... I think this where the No Drone Zone Clarification from Transport Canada letter plays in as well as the Rec drones being classed as model aircraft in CAR 602.45 This regulation states “No person shall fly a model aircraft or a kite or launch a model rocket or a rocket of a type used in a fireworks display into cloud or in a manner that is or is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety”. The guidelines were provided to help those that are less familiar with aviation with how to operate their aircraft in a safe manner. This will keep these aircraft out of most control zones and away from concentrations of manned aircraft. As stated, the 9km (5nm) direction is only guidelines and not a regulations.

So I guess this is where common sense would kick in since according to airspace classification it is illegal to fly anything (kites, bottle rockets, storebought fireworks etc...) from SFC to 3500 feet in that airspace unless you follow CAR 602.45. If you operate your "model aircraft" in a manner that is or is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety, then you are operating illegally and could face fines/prosecution (flying in the approach areas, over 500', at night or clouds... My rule of thumb will be under 100 feet inside 3kms of the heliport and no flying within 2kms (while obviously avoiding approach areas)....

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242