DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gatwick Airport (UK) suspends flights due to Drone activity

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC headline news online this morning quotes chief constable of Sussex Police as saying the drone was last seen at 10 PM last night (!)

That is extraordinary, given yesterday's events and the resources that were brought in. Also, if they had Aeroscope installed in the day then it won't have been a dji device or at least one that wasn't modified.

Last edited:
Reactions: WindShear
That's probably the most plausible reason for a motive I've seen to date, other than simple Lulz. Wasn't aware of Gatwick's flightpath issues, and some adhoc local action by a hacked off resident or two might explain the lack of media announcement that usually accompanies environmental protests by established bodies like Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth, etc. Could also explain why they've gone for Gatwick rather than the busier Heathrow, which strongly implies some kind of local grievance to me.

LHR better have a counter-drone plan lined up PDQ though, because I suspect the effectiveness of this has given some of the third runway opponents ideas. Rather stupid ideas, but ideas none the less.

They do seem to be very knowledgeable of the airport's operations, and yes Heathrow has been completely left alone, surely an environmentalist would target both? They knew the police and army were on site but sent the drone anyway, meaning they either know they're not going to get caught, or don't care if they do. Got to be a campaign group that's very aggravated about the airport.

Don't forget it also gets brought to a stop with a few centimetres of snow, forecast days ahead and even when it gets too "hot" (a temperature classed as normal in the rest of the world).
I suspect if this was another world major airport the entire outcome of this possible drone swarm would be a note on the ATIS with "be advised of possible UAV activity in the area" and things would continue as normal.
The sharpshooters have stated health and safety....they're talking about if they miss then that stray bullet has to land somewhere which creates another risk.
The Russians and the yanks would simply blow the thing out of the sky.
Putin like myself is also laughing his bollocks off at our ***** footing around on this issue...

Reactions: Clinton1
I think that would be Heathrow.

But still. All this and the authorities have no idea who was responsible. The BBC report says they have put a "range of measures" in place to ensure that Gatwick is safe for aircraft, but I bet there are a lot of people with their fingers crossed that the drone does not reappear this morning.
I THINK you'll find Gatwick is Europe's single runway busiest airport 36hrs lmao.
But hey who cares...still brought to a stand still with a party popper.

. Got to be a campaign group that's very aggravated about the airport.

To be fair there are a lot of people annoyed with Gatwicks desperately needed new runway!

Im still thinking there may have been 1 drone flying once or twice and the rest just a massive overreaction and paranoia.

Reactions: 4wd
The Russians and the yanks would simply blow the thing out of the sky.

To be fair, given the lack of discipline or care of both of those, chances are they'd also have blown away several civilian buildings and infrastructure.

To be fair, given the lack of discipline or care of both of those, chances are they'd also have blown away several civilian buildings and infrastructure.
Here comes the PC brigade... Left right left right!! Haha

I love the Candour of this group !!!

… probably a 10yr old Kid who lives near Gatwick - got a big box for xmas …
… and showed his friends-

"See Tommy, it goes UP and it goes Down !"

10x times

Reactions: Tazbone
T
Im still thinking there may have been 1 drone flying once or twice and the rest just a massive overreaction and paranoia.

I think this is quite likely, coupled with the fact that pretty much every plonker working in airport security that I've come across has been about as clued up as a semi-literate hamster (apologies to Hamsters)

drone_2d5f7fd62831fafdfce924d2bdf2bdda0d3b25f0.jpg

Looks like Aeroscope has been deployed. That said if these aren't DJI drones then its not a lot of use. Although a simple DF setup should do a similar job for any sort of 2 way link and i find it hard to believe the police dont have access to that.

This looks like a clear, deliberate attempt to disrupt air traffic, possible some of the mentalist tree huggers who have been closing london and places recently.
It also sends a clear message - for a few hundred pounds you can close airports for days and the authorities have no effective response at all. So standby for copycat actions.

Where does this picture come from, and why is there a tennis ball on the console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro