DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

General questions about flying near a class E airport

marklyn

Reactions
I would like to fly near a class E2 airport on Maui .
My intention is to fly only over the water from my position on the beach about 1-2 miles and I only intend to fly about 100' altitude.
There is a small Class E airport (JHM) nearby but it apparently is managed by a larger airport about 50 miles away in Kahalui (OGG).
It appears the only way I can communicate is by a phone number that I found through Airmap app.
FAA UAS map shows all zero's over the water where I want to fly...
This is a very small airport, with a few daily flights (small planes).
So I have some general questions...

Is there a database or airport listing somewhere that has email addresses (written responses/acknowledgements vs phone/verbal)?
Even though this shows a zero ceiling for where I want to fly, does that mean I shouldn't even try to contact the airport?
Am I asking the airport for permission or basically letting them know my flight intentions?
Do I make sure to get the name of the person I've spoken to?
Do I have any appeal if they tell me I cannot fly there?

I really want to fly from that location since my condo is literally on the beach there and I'm hoping to catch some whale video (March 2019).

Suggestions or advice appreciated.

JHM Airspace.JPG

Anyone? Or am I posting in the wrong place?

Im not familiar with that screen shot you posted. Class E usually starts at 700' agl or the surface. I quick look at an actual chart would answer the question. I have never heard of class E2 airport. There is class E airspace but not E2.

The shot shown looks like its from Airmap. Bottom line you can't fly there without authorization. To the OP - are you flying as a hobbyist or do you have your 107?

Hobbist. I contacted the tower (took several numbers/calls to find the right person). She sounded "familiar" with this type of request and just said to contact them a day or so before I want to fly and give them specifics on where I want to fly. It sounds like it will be easy.
But, just in case this changes when I contact them and someone else says something different, I would still like some responses to some of my questions from anyone with experience in these matters.

Hobbist. I contacted the tower (took several numbers/calls to find the right person). She sounded "familiar" with this type of request and just said to contact them a day or so before I want to fly and give them specifics on where I want to fly. It sounds like it will be easy.
But, just in case this changes when I contact them and someone else says something different, I would still like some responses to some of my questions from anyone with experience in these matters.
I have called for authorization and used Airmap and also got an airspace authorization for Class E airspace as a 107 pilot - its going to be up to the person who is in the tower. What you can do as a hobbyist is to try is to call that tower and get an address or e mail to the offices who operate that tower and control that airspace and submit a "Memorandum of Agreement" (MOA) where you will be given permission to fly at a certain time and date at a certain altitude. This makes it easier for everyone.

Reactions: marklyn
Hadn't even consider that. I guess I thought I'd take the easiest route for me (and them) but if they'd be willing to do that then maybe I should try to get an email address so that I have something (even an email) that I can show someone if I get questioned. Good idea.

Everyone who flies should know Section 336 backward and forwards. That actually contains all of the information you would need. it is also what you agreed to when you registered yourself to fly.

You only need to contact the owner and tower to notify them of your flight. They can object but not stop you from flying. If they object, this can be used to indicate an unsafe flight. Most phones when not answered, have some type of message system.

I don't know what you are looking at that indicates a flight height.

Don't know if this helps. With the new FAA reauthorization signed Friday 5 Oct 2018, the law is no longer near an airport, rather based on Airspace. Class G does not require approval.

KAPALUA (JHM)(PHJH) is part-time CLASS E svc 1600–0430Z other times CLASS G (Z being Zulu, add 10 hours for local Hawaii time) Flying outside the Class E hours should not require any approval.

See current Chart Supplement: http://aeronav.faa.gov/afd/13SEP2018/pac_42_13SEP2018.pdf

First, and foremost, do NOT contact the airport for permission to fly. The airport has no authority to grant permission for flight, that is strictly FAA responsibility. Now, that being said, the AP in question may be a high IFR usage. Pilots rely heavily on IFR around the islands. As they get closer they change over to the VFR rules. That could explain the 0's (zeros) on your map. Contact the servicing ATC tower to request permission and notify the airport of your presence. Remember, if you are flying on airport property then it is a whole new ballgame. The zeros should not be absolutes as there very well may exist numerous buildings or other structures that are higher than that in the immediate area. Personally, I live in a 50 zone, but then I ask what about the water tank towers and radio station towers here too. Key thing is to always be aware and stay away from approach/departure avenues. Are there helicopters present? To my knowledge the numbers on your map are not regulatory in nature, but simply guidelines designed to keep you on your toes in the area. Again, we have hotels and hangars that are 2+ stories in the 0 zone. Safety guidelines, that's all. Probably just another FAA scare tactic! How can FAA enforce 0 foot altitude beside a 100 foot water tower??? Above all else, ALWAYS keep an extra eye when flying that close to an airport.

Thanks Jeffrey.
Your post confirms my confusion but it's not your fault. It seems to be a myriad of avenues or agencies one should notify for the flight and it is confusing as to who to always know to talk to because each (smaller) airport seems to be different. Since I know the area I feel confident that I'll be ok and since I'm flying over the water I probably won't go over 100' anyway and I will always have VLOS to see if there is a plane, etc. in the area. I've been going to the islands for years now and never seen a plane or copter come in over that area. I will still make the calls and hopefully get an email as evidence of notification but still I will be very diligent in observations. It really shouldn't be this complicated and confusing though.

I would like to fly near a class E2 airport on Maui .
My intention is to fly only over the water from my position on the beach about 1-2 miles and I only intend to fly about 100' altitude.
There is a small Class E airport (JHM) nearby but it apparently is managed by a larger airport about 50 miles away in Kahalui (OGG).
It appears the only way I can communicate is by a phone number that I found through Airmap app.
FAA UAS map shows all zero's over the water where I want to fly...
This is a very small airport, with a few daily flights (small planes).
So I have some general questions...

Is there a database or airport listing somewhere that has email addresses (written responses/acknowledgements vs phone/verbal)?
Even though this shows a zero ceiling for where I want to fly, does that mean I shouldn't even try to contact the airport?
Am I asking the airport for permission or basically letting them know my flight intentions?
Do I make sure to get the name of the person I've spoken to?
Do I have any appeal if they tell me I cannot fly there?

I really want to fly from that location since my condo is literally on the beach there and I'm hoping to catch some whale video (March 2019).

Suggestions or advice appreciated.

View attachment 47558
I'm a District Engineer for Hawaii Airports Division living and working on the Big Island. Here are a couple of numbers for you to call to put your mind at ease about flying around Kapalua Airport (JHM):

Kapalua Air Traffic Control Tower: 808-665-6109
Maui Airports District Manager (AIR-M ADM): 808-281-8801 (Mr. Marvin Moniz, Kahului)

Good luck!

Thanks 2020HeinSite.
I also plan on flying on the Big Island too near Waimea.
Appreciate the info.

Thanks 2020HeinSite.
Appreciate the info.
Thanks 2020HeinSite.
Appreciate the info.

Waimea-Kohala Airport (MUE) is not a towered airport but is managed out of Kona. For there your contact is the Kona Airport Operations Center at 808-329-1083. Because of activity in that area, and the elevations near the airport, it would be advisable to stay below the elevations shown in the grids on Airmap. Enjoy your stay, and fly safely.

I really appreciate the info. I was only planning on flying around 100-125' and from the area I'm staying at in Waimea I had hoped to fly over to the rim of the canyon but know that there can be clouds, etc. and I wouldn't fly high and just to a small part of the rim closest to me to take a peek. I'll look at the grids in Airmap to be sure. Thanks!

In the new regs, it only says to contact administration. Forgot exact words, but wasn't clear who to contact. Many of us believe that means airport/tower.

I went over to my local FAA Tower to get some info on informing them of my hobby flights as I'm within 5 miles. The gentleman suggested contacting the tower who would then pass the information on to airport personnel. That personnel's phone number for me is "not a working number at this time".
The young man gave me an ATCT Model Aircraft Checklist that had the questions I would likely be asked when calling in to notify them of my flight plans.
Here is the FAA site with questions and reasoning.
http://tinyurl.com/y9bg2uxn

Attachments

• LWW074a.jpg
    LWW074a.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 34
They had a conflict there. They can say 'denied' but they can't say 'approved'? More like they should say 'highly not recommended'.

Still, good info to know. Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+