DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GEO-FENCING NEEDS TO CHANGE

Perhaps drone incarcerated time based on infraction. I can imagine drone rights groups marching in the streets...Free my drone!

Drone Hunting Licenses, with a bag limit of 3 per day, will become the next revenue stream for municipalities! :p

I don't think any country wants drones flying around their Capitols.

DJI took positive steps to make flying easy for the masses with implementation of airspace restrictions. It's just a shame that so much restrictive airspace exists. Soon we'll only see videos of tree tops or open deserts...that's if you're not flying in a national park. Lol

It sounds so easy but it's not. I just spent more than a week getting DJI authorization with update issues and strange behaviours like the GO4 app flicking back and forth between fly/no-fly and I could start (GREEN Go-fly) and fly within the requested NO-FLY zone but it constantly filled the screen with messages about "land immediately, you are in a no-fly zone, or "This aircraft will land in 20sec" although it never did . . in addition when DJI does not recognize W82.332892 is actually -82.332892 not +82 then I am locked out of a paying photo shoot . . . unless I'm somewhere in EASTERN INDIA!

I was authorized to fly at an airport and have independently been authorized by
1. Transport Canada SFOC
2. The airport Manager
3. Flying service Huron Aviation where the filming ramp is
4. The local fire and police services
5. And the B-17 crew who own the aircraft

Why should DJI be in the middle of all that?

Now today, one day later when I went to start the Mavic in this location . . it told me it required an UPGRADE of firmware. When it completed "successfully" the Mavic would not allow starting saying "you are in a no-fly zone" . . . this is not true as you can see from the official Canadian Government UAV no-fly website screenshot I took.

Why can't DJI get out of the way of Canadian aviation authority (Transport Canada) and restrict use of their drones by password to qualified and authorized pilots. Pre-qualify me with documentation, SFOC, licenses what ever you want but let me simply enter a password to unlock the system completely. . . even a "phone back" password verification number like any password reset does . . that would be a lot more useful than the mess I've gone through for the past week . . .We don't make qualified pilots ask foreign governments . . . for companies permission to fly in our own country. If they are worried about some guy who's not following the rules then lock-out his password till it's sorted out.

DJI SYSTEM AND PROCESS IS INTRUSIVE AND UNNECESSARILY COMPLICATED! . . . overkill to say the least. . . and it's killing my business.

Get firmware .400 problem solved

I read somewhere I think it was a comment to a utube video on GEO fencing about trying to start a class action suit. If anyone knows anything about this I would love to be part of it. This is costing all commercial 107 guys our incomes

Man I fly almost everyday for years now if had all these problems some of you have i'd give up!! I don't know I use an android s-10 and a iphone xr the software all though not perfect works really well for me..So do the mavic air mavic pro and the spark i fy it's all seamless for me!!

Reactions: BigAl07
I read somewhere I think it was a comment to a utube video on GEO fencing about trying to start a class action suit.

Class Action Lawsuit? That's completely absurd and a total waste of money and time.

This is costing all commercial 107 guys our incomes
I'm a Commercial sUAS Operator (and have been for years now) and I don't see how this could be costing anyone money. I've flown (for HIRE) inside a TFR, legally along a forest fire, and flown on the approach/departure line of an active runway at 100'AGL.... LEGALLY! Also all with "Current" DJI products. Sometimes it takes some preparation before the actual shoot but again that's what being an industry professional is all about. If it were easy anyone could do it. . . .

If the "tool" you have doesn't do the job you should either do better research before purchasing or you might need an alternate tool. Most professionals have backups for their backups just in case.

Let's also keep in mind that this thread is OVER 2 years old so let's not get too worked up. If you still have these issues it might be more prudent to start a new thread with only relevant information and less fluff.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I would think that a specific incident, like the one the Op reports would be helpful to escalate to senior DJI Executives.

Rather than someone just offering a general opinion on hypothetical as to “ should they” shouldn’t they”, this conversation would be Factually be based on a real world situation where this occurred, and could be oriented around problem solving to help avoid this type of issue in the future. DJI has a vested business interest in addressing these issues, especially where commercial customers are concerned.

The current system might work great 99% of the time, but there must be some sort of process to address exceptions to the usual rules, similar to the way emergency services Might need waivers to fight fires, etc.

If you have all the appropriate permissions, there should be some way of getting an “unlock” key from DJI that would allow you to override Geofencing under certain conditions.

I would think that a specific incident, like the one the Op reports would be helpful to escalate to senior DJI Executives.

Rather than someone just offering a general opinion on hypothetical as to “ should they” shouldn’t they”, this conversation would be Factually be based on a real world situation where this occurred, and could be oriented around problem solving to help avoid this type of issue in the future. DJI has a vested business interest in addressing these issues, especially where commercial customers are concerned.

The current system might work great 99% of the time, but there must be some sort of process to address exceptions to the usual rules, similar to the way emergency services Might need waivers to fight fires, etc.

If you have all the appropriate permissions, there should be some way of getting an “unlock” key from DJI that would allow you to override Geofencing under certain conditions.

You CAN get a Custom Unlock from DJI which is exactly what I've done in several instances... and it's key to point out that we ALSO have to do this with Emergency Services type work because even though we have all the approvals for TFR's etc the DJI system still needs the Custom Unlock. There are some "Enterprise" level DJI aircraft that I think don't have all the same restrictions so they have fewer hoops to jump through.

DJI Custom Unlocking

DJI Self Unloacking

Reactions: Shon and dawgpilot
There are some "Enterprise" level DJI aircraft that I think don't have all the same restrictions so they have fewer hoops to jump through.
Yes - if you operate an M200 series, an Inspire 2 or a P4P 2.0 and you joined DJI's QEP program, the restrictions (Airspace/altitude) are lifted when the requesting party (Federal state and local public safety agencies ) submitted following documents:
  • Completed QEP application form.
  • Copy of part 107 license of the chief pilot that is updated on a regular basis (every 6 months) or a certificate of authorization from the FAA, or other similar flight authorization document.
  • Copy of signed Terms and Conditions.
  • Authorization letter on official entity letterhead from entities UAV program manager or head of entity.
  • Contact information for partners UAV program manager that is updated on a regular basis (every 6 months)

You CAN get a Custom Unlock from DJI which is exactly what I've done in several instances... and it's key to point out that we ALSO have to do this with Emergency Services type work because even though we have all the approvals for TFR's etc the DJI system still needs the Custom Unlock. There are some "Enterprise" level DJI aircraft that I think don't have all the same restrictions so they have fewer hoops to jump through.

DJI Custom Unlocking

DJI Self Unloacking

Thanks. That was my understanding too, but I thought in the op’s case the system wasn’t working right for some reason... maybe because it is an older post?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky