DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Geofence "What If..."

AKQuads

Reactions
So I haven't run into this yet but I'm sure I will. Once I secure airspace and get the geofence unlocked, what happens if I go over that line accidentally? Do I get a notification that I am getting close to the line or does a Black Ops helicopter catch it mid-flight and take it away. o_O Is there anyway to plot that geofence onto google maps easily?

Just wait until there are non-contiguous holes in the airspace you're allowed to fly in.

The drone/quad will just have to fall out of the sky.

Oh wait a minute that's another problem.

We aren't supposed to drop out of the sky. Drop out of the airspace...drop out of the sky...

Oh no I got it.

The sky is falling!

So I haven't run into this yet but I'm sure I will. Once I secure airspace and get the geofence unlocked, what happens if I go over that line accidentally? Do I get a notification that I am getting close to the line or does a Black Ops helicopter catch it mid-flight and take it away. o_O Is there anyway to plot that geofence onto google maps easily?

I'm not sure if this is an example of what you are asking, but this is a flight that I recently did in order to take some pictures of an offshore island that also happens to be within the Class D airspace of a nearby airport.

First, since this airport is not serviced by the LAANC system at this time, I applied for and secured an FAA Airspace Authorization. The airport does have a published UAS Facilities Map, and I have full authorization to operate below all of its published ceilings. This Airspace Authorization, however, was still not enough to accomplish this flight from the indicated 'Launch Area' directly to the indicated 'Destination' due to DJI limitations, and for that, I had to unlock the Authorization Zone as shown below in Blue on the DJI NFZ Map.

As you can see, the 'Launch Area' is just northeast of the Authorization Zone, and I then flew through that portion of this Zone out toward the island, eventually leaving the Zone while en route. On the return trip, I flew back through this Zone with no issues, but that was a concern of mine. What would happen if for some reason there was a glitch of some sort, and the copter just stopped and hovered, refusing to enter the Authorization Zone while heading home? My plan in that case was to return to the island and land, and then fetch it with the boat. Again, not sure if that is what you are asking, but if so, I hope it helps.

N. Dumpling Flight.jpg

Reactions: AKQuads
I'm not sure if this is an example of what you are asking, but this is a flight that I recently did in order to take some pictures of an offshore island that also happens to be within the Class D airspace of a nearby airport.

First, since this airport is not serviced by the LAANC system at this time, I applied for and secured an FAA Airspace Authorization. The airport does have a published UAS Facilities Map, and I have full authorization to operate below all of its published ceilings. This Airspace Authorization, however, was still not enough to accomplish this flight from the indicated 'Launch Area' directly to the indicated 'Destination' due to DJI limitations, and for that, I had to unlock the Authorization Zone as shown below in Blue on the DJI NFZ Map.

As you can see, the 'Launch Area' is just northeast of the Authorization Zone, and I then flew through that portion of this Zone out toward the island, eventually leaving the Zone while en route. On the return trip, I flew back through this Zone with no issues, but that was a concern of mine. What would happen if for some reason there was a glitch of some sort, and the copter just stopped and hovered, refusing to enter the Authorization Zone while heading home? My plan in that case was to return to the island and land, and then fetch it with the boat. Again, not sure if that is what you are asking, but if so, I hope it helps.

View attachment 105038

You can self-authorize while the aircraft is in flight, if necessary.

Reactions: JAW

The black helicopter is a myth - no prisoners!

You can self-authorize while the aircraft is in flight, if necessary.
And that would be right about the time GO 4 crashed, given my luck...:oops:...

Well I have. It doesn't have a dialog box telling you that something crashed. It just all of a sudden disappears.

Recent hardware? I've been using DJI GO 4 on multiple iPads and iPhones since it was first released, and I've never seen it crash.

View attachment 105038
So with my ignorance with the subject, Geofencing, I joked about Black Ops helicopters coming down and scooping up my Quad. (So you know, whether they exist or not, a helicopter gun ship dressed in solid black with no insignia flew into a gold mine up here in Alaska as a scare tactic towards the miner, whom which I know). Back to the subject... I heard that if you secure an unlock for a particular flight through DJI and go outside of that boundary that DJI could just land your Quad wherever or you would lose connection/control of it, or it may just drop. They could be just as uninformed as I and were mistaken.

But that was my question. If it goes into a space I am not approved through Geofencing, could I lose control of it?

So with my ignorance with the subject, Geofencing, I joked about Black Ops helicopters coming down and scooping up my Quad. (So you know, whether they exist or not, a helicopter gun ship dressed in solid black with no insignia flew into a gold mine up here in Alaska as a scare tactic towards the miner, whom which I know). Back to the subject... I heard that if you secure an unlock for a particular flight through DJI and go outside of that boundary that DJI could just land your Quad wherever or you would lose connection/control of it, or it may just drop. They could be just as uninformed as I and were mistaken.

But that was my question. If it goes into a space I am not approved through Geofencing, could I lose control of it?
My only experience with what you mention involved the copter stopping and going no further along with a dialog box stating the airspace was restricted. I have not heard of any reports involving DJI's modern systems straying into a NFZ and then landing outside of pilot control. I suppose if your GPS satellite count was low and your position not precise, that could be a possible problem if you strayed into a NFZ, but regardless, it always pays to be aware of where you are for sure.

Thanks @Brockrock for letting me know. I wouldn't think that would happen. Just thought I would ask the masters. :cool:
You bet. Looking forward to some pics/footage of great Alaska!

Reactions: AKQuads
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark