DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting in trouble with the law

You're confusing an aviation regulators official no-fly zone with a government or private bodies rules and regulations.
Pardon the spelling....PROMULGATED, I am Afrikaans speaking and I know my laws. Do you have anything to say about that?
Well, aside from the other language abuse, I'm pretty well done with this forum. You're one of those guys that likes to scream about your rights while they're putting the cuffs on.

Reactions: ac0j
i think a lot would depend on the severity of the illegal incident, if if the drone was modified and porposely was flying in an airport and that vid was posted like i have seen im sure they could track down the piolot, but with that said i think theres safegaurds in place that allow users to log in to dji app without using thier own log in so finding the piolot may be difficult, i posted a pic over 1000ft when i first got my mav and i got scolded quite a bit from outsiders so i dont post any more haha. not sure how much time and effort the law would use to catch some one in voloation but i am sure if the incident was bad they would do it

You're confusing an aviation regulators official no-fly zone with a government or private bodies rules and regulations.

Ahh. Sorry then. But when is not ok too fly in some area i believe is als in NFZ zone. :)

I think the answer to the question is. This is a right old ‘can of worms’ question.
I suppose the moment you fly illegally, a potential offence (offense for my US cousins) is committed. Whether that offence is charged as a violation of drone or park laws or reckless endangerment I suppose depends on a lot of circumstances of proof.
For example It could be argued that the take off/landing point was outside the boundary of a national park. Is the entire airspace above a park a NFZ? Does it extend to space?
A YouTube or whatever video is evidence towards prosecution of an offence. I say evidence towards prosecution because it would have to be proven it was you flying the drone on that day/time, and not someone who had access to your drone and YouTube channel etc etc. Unless of course you appear on the video telling the world how cool it is to fly a drone above one of the most crowded cities in the world.

Personally speaking now.... NYC has to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world. When vids are shot with care & professionalism, and many are, they are simply stunning and promote the city in ways which the tourism industry would have to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars to get that sort of coverage...and it’s done free of charge for them!!!
Very interesting...great observation!

i think a lot would depend on the severity of the illegal incident, if if the drone was modified and porposely was flying in an airport and that vid was posted like i have seen im sure they could track down the piolot, but with that said i think theres safegaurds in place that allow users to log in to dji app without using thier own log in so finding the piolot may be difficult, i posted a pic over 1000ft when i first got my mav and i got scolded quite a bit from outsiders so i dont post any more haha. not sure how much time and effort the law would use to catch some one in voloation but i am sure if the incident was bad they would do it
Couldn’t agree more with you...it’s all about personal integrity and consideration...

Reactions: Classic flyer
You're one of those guys that likes to scream about your rights while they're putting the cuffs on.
Thank God there are people that will stand up for their rights, very few here seem willing to do it. In this day of age our politicians, through their law enforcement army, throw around the word “safety“ as an excuse to exercise more and more control.

Thank God there are people that will stand up for their rights, very few here seem willing to do it. In this day of age our politicians, through their law enforcement army, throw around the word “safety“ as an excuse to exercise more and more control.

The political forum is called "Faceboog"... just sayi'n.

Reactions: Classic flyer
For the past 6 months of having my drone and flying it legally while traveling around the country, I've done many research prior to launching it just to make sure I'm flying within city, state, and federal regulations. However, when I'm on YouTube or other social media sites, I often see people posting pictures or videos that are being taken from these NFZ areas. Now I know there are two types of drone pilots...hobbyists and licensed. I also know that not all videos or pictures being posted are from licensed pilots, which means those pictures or videos were most likely taken "illegally".

My question is, when/how would you get in trouble for this? Does it have to be at that present moment when the drone is being flown and you get caught or can it be after you have flown it and the picture/video is posted when the city, state, or federal officials see it? I guess a better way of asking this question is, can you be cited if someone finds the picture or video online?

Remember this: your drone is recording everything in the "Black Box", and maybe sending info to a DJI server, so they can cover their butts. Posting a video of you in a big pot field on You Boob is a bad idea. Posting a video of you flying to high (and being too high) is a bad thing. Too far out is the same, it's NOT "far out man"...both of these are dangerous.

So, don't do anything illegal, because it's being recorded some where and if you do take down a manned aircraft or hurt a human (or dog) on the ground... you are liable. And after watching a couple vids below, It's not worth it monetarily or personally (fed charge)?

You need these apps, I put them on a tablet I don't use for flying to placate people that confront me in person... be nice.. try to educate them. These apps might make you see the "Big Picture".

B4UFLY from the FAA: B4UFLY Mobile App

Flightradar24 will blow your mind Introducing the All-New Flightradar24 Mobile App – Flightradar24 Blog

Check wind speed at different altitudes locally. UAV Forcast: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uavforecast

Sorry i-phone users... only Android links here but the apps are also for Apple.

In Canada , where I live... National / provincial parks are simply nfz . One can get a permit,but I’m not versed on how that is obtained. In general,I would agree with those of us here who have said it’s a bad idea to make a video record of your prohibited actions. I do know that taking off outside a national park in Canada, flying into the park and back out to land, is a violation of the nfz. What the legal results of that violation would be? ... who knows, but personally I don’t want to be the guy getting the whopper fine to be made an example of. Further to that,I just don’t want my kids thinking that their dad is ok with bending rules just because he “feels” like bending them because he can most likely get away with it.... i love flying,I’d love to fly my quad over Banff, but I won’t unless I have a permit in hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: raymo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr