DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gila River Indian Reservation, Arizona

Az_Jack

Reactions
I searched the forums for this area but didn't find anything, though the threads regarding the Gila River Airport are close. I'd like to try flying over the "mountains" just south of the Phoenix area, east of I-10 (almost directly south of Sacaton). The area is on Gila River Reservation land but shows as no restrictions on Know Before You Fly. Here is a screenshot of the location as shown on that website. I believe I am legally allowed to fly there. Am I correct?
Sacaton.png

Reactions: Bill combs
It’s good that you are checking and asking before flying, so I’d ask the Gila River Indian Community (the official tribal name) of the people who that area belongs to first before flying on their rez.

Also check the sectionals- that area has Class E airspace starting at 700’ AGL, and Class B above that- don’t fly too high! :)

4C55EA8A-61C9-4032-B371-30A4B7225A93.png

Last edited:
I searched the forums for this area but didn't find anything, though the threads regarding the Gila River Airport are close. I'd like to try flying over the "mountains" just south of the Phoenix area, east of I-10 (almost directly south of Sacaton). The area is on Gila River Reservation land but shows as no restrictions on Know Before You Fly. Here is a screenshot of the location as shown on that website. I believe I am legally allowed to fly there. Am I correct?
View attachment 83113
i was attempting to fly in that area when a Gila river cop approached me and told me i was not allowed to fly on indian land.

i was attempting to fly in that area when a Gila river cop approached me and told me i was not allowed to fly on indian land.

I do work on a local Rez and always carry a copy of an approval letter from their tribal council for me to be there. It’s courteous but also backup as they are sensitive about outsiders being on their land, just as you would be if strangers were in your back yard.

I do work on a local Rez and always carry a copy of an approval letter from their tribal council for me to be there. It’s courteous but also backup as they are sensitive about outsiders being on their land, just as you would be if strangers were in your back yard.
Sounds safe. At the risk of sounding naive, how do I ask for approval, and to whom do I address my request? I found the Public Safety Departments page of the Gila River Indian Community website (Departments) and my natural inclination is to reach out through the tribal police. Advice?

Sounds safe. At the risk of sounding naive, how do I ask for approval, and to whom do I address my request? I found the Public Safety Departments page of the Gila River Indian Community website (Departments) and my natural inclination is to reach out through the tribal police. Advice?
That’s a good idea, just send a note to them asking if it was possible and who is it you should address. Maybe also include an offer to take pictures for them as well. If you’re 107 certified, and like to do public outreach, why not even offer to do a demonstration/training for them?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78