DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal motor overload

reinerboehme

Reactions
Yesterday I was flying to shoot photos of a castle. At a height of app. 200 feet I got the message: "High wind." Land ASAP. Shortly afterwards the next message: "Gimbal motor is overloaded."
Is that the result of high wind?
I soon landed the drone with lots of photos and w/o problems.

The wind could cause it to shake causing a gimbal overload warning for sure

I always find it so fascinating the different levels of wind patterns at different altitudes, at 200' the wind pattern/gust can be drastically different than at 50'.

Check your gimbal wires and mounting points to make sure all is good there as well.

The wind could cause it to shake causing a gimbal overload warning for sure

I always find it so fascinating the different levels of wind patterns at different altitudes, at 200' the wind pattern/gust can be drastically different than at 50'.

Check your gimbal wires and mounting points to make sure all is good there as well.
Thanks for your quick response

Interesting. I have only seen gimbal overload when I forgot to remove the protective cover and powered the Mavic up and when trying to takeoff or land in grass long enough to encumber the gimbal. The grass really isn't that restrictive so it doesn't take a lot of force to overload the gimbal. Seems possible that gusty enough winds could also do it.

Reactions: reinerboehme
I have had a similar experience when encountering high winds during a flight. This ended up causing a subsequent misbehavior of the gimbal on my next flight, resulting in the camera unable to operate over its full range of motion. I was able to correct this by running the auto-calibrate function on the gimbal afterwards. Since then I have not had any more issues, but it is another indicator of the hazards in flying in high winds.

Reactions: reinerboehme
Yesterday I had a gimbal overload too. Pretty strong winds and taking a pano.
Noticed my MA had difficulties to keep the horizon level correct. Stopped making pictures, so I put it down. The gimbal stayed out of its normal position. Did a test flight later and everything worked well again. Never had a gimbal overload before, apart from forgotten to remove the cover. That last won't happen again since I marked the cover left and right with some tape.

I forced to fly coastal in wind with MA. Had a number of times the horizon has shifted and locked. Solution is stop in mid air wait 5 secs. It corrects

I had once the gimbal motor overload in MP2. It was very windy on that day. I can recall that the horizon had shifted and it came back by itself when I stopped moving. I was just about to land but when I noticed that the problem was resolved I continued my flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chenjinhun