DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

handsofrust

Reactions
I've had this Mavic Pro for some time now its always treated me well and its never been crashed. Basically I was out on a shoot and one morning, I fired her up, the gimbal tried to calibrate as it usually does but it never finished. Basically the camera just flips around, side-to-side clicking away but it cannot find a way to calibrate. The error on my controller reads: "Gimbal motor load too large. Please check if the gimbal clamp has been removed." It'll keep flipping around until eventually the error changes to "Gimbal obstructed." So for some reason it thinks its hitting something, but it's not, the camera is not actually obstructed at all. I've checked it through and through. When it's shooting around going from side-to-side, top-to-bottom, trying to calibrate, its not actually hitting anything, the clicking sound is just the gimbal reaching the end of its range of motion.

I took it into a drone repairman and he said that the entire gimbal motor needed to be replaced for about $300.

My two questions are:
(1) Does it sound like his diagnosis is right? Do I really need to replace the whole gimbal motor, or is there possibly a cable I can replace, or something of the sort?
(2) Is that a pretty normal price for replacing the gimbal motor? I'm not entirely sure how much the part costs by itself.

Thanks for any help/advise you can offer!

Before you go the repair route have you checked for small grains of sand and such that may have been stuck in there? The only time I got the "Gimbal motor overloaded" error, I landed on a rough patch of road and some thing was lodged in there. Have it a good blow and all was back to normal.

Before you go the repair route have you checked for small grains of sand and such that may have been stuck in there? The only time I got the "Gimbal motor overloaded" error, I landed on a rough patch of road and some thing was lodged in there. Have it a good blow and all was back to normal.
Thats a very good idea, I can't believe I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a shot now and get back to ya. Its very likely that their diagnosis was right, I mean they supposedly inspected it but, they're also trying to make a buck! thx

Well I did give it a good blow, but to no avail. Which leads me to my next question, does anyone know anyone who can replace a gimbal motor and/or how much it should normally cost?

Well I did give it a good blow, but to no avail. Which leads me to my next question, does anyone know anyone who can replace a gimbal motor and/or how much it should normally cost?
Yaw motor on ebay. YouTube how to.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3