DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Overload possible fix (not)

Oh follow up question. The new one has been ok? No gimbal errors?
One day when I was flying sport mode (the day after I clipped my patio door on landing, breaking a blade) I had a gimbal overload. I found an out of balance prop, and recalibrated the gimbal... No issues since.

One day when I was flying sport mode (the day after I clipped my patio door on landing, breaking a blade) I had a gimbal overload. I found an out of balance prop, and recalibrated the gimbal... No issues since.

Good to know. Thanks for the update, I appreciate it. Hopefully the repair will solve mine and Order66's problem as well.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I noticed on my DJI Mavic air 2 when i enter POI mode and drive arround and follow some object... it ends up with Gimbal Overloaded error and Jello video... When i land it, calibrate compas, IMU calibration and Gimbal calibration then work normally until i enter POI mode again and then in some time again gets the same error and jello videos.

I upgraded latest firmware for RC and the drone.

I eye inspected maybe if some rubber falls off
IMG_20200721_124636.jpg

1595330161622.jpeg

I am providing you with youtube videos so you cah have idea what i am talking about.

and then again today.

and similar problem yesterday but not that much jello effect problem is arround 4min 30sec:

Also i uploaded some screen shots from my phone so you can see error that pop up

1595330048888.png
and from the park:
1595330077263.png

Attachments

• 1595330111406.jpeg
    1595330111406.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

New props and constant recalibrations didn’t fix my issue, unfortunately. Here’s hoping DJI’s fix does the trick.

I noticed on my DJI Mavic air 2 when i enter POI mode and drive arround and follow some object... it ends up with Gimbal Overloaded error and Jello video... When i land it, calibrate compas, IMU calibration and Gimbal calibration then work normally until i enter POI mode again and then in some time again gets the same error and jello videos.

View attachment 108485

View attachment 108486

I am providing you with youtube videos so you cah have idea what i am talking about.

and then again today.

and similar problem yesterday but not that much jello effect problem is arround 4min 30sec:

Also i uploaded some screen shots from my phone so you can see error that pop up

View attachment 108482
and from the park:
View attachment 108483

Mine started out this way as well, but then proceeded to happen randomly. It’s been triggered by POI as well as just flying normally, not even taking any pics or video. So I can’t pin down POI as the original cause or just the random mode in which the problem happened to flare up.

View attachment 108485

View attachment 108486

and then again today.

View attachment 108482
and from the park:
View attachment 108483
I would try flying sport mode. With full stick up on both. That works the motors to max, then turn hard to the left or right while trying to stop.

This is one of the hardest maneuvers for the gimbal (mine ALWAYS has a little jello for a second after I do this). When it levels out the jello goes away.

On my first one, the jello would only go away after landing, then come right back after take off.

Sometime it would take 5 minutes, sometimes 25.

New props and constant recalibrations didn’t fix my issue, unfortunately. Here’s hoping DJI’s fix does the trick.
It won't either (props and cals).

If you got a bad gimbal, the only fix is warranty replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghjcmo
Mine started almost immediately on the second day of flight. I wasn't using any special mode at all as I wasn't even videoing at that point, I was simply learning to fly the drone, and within moments of my first take off on the second day, the error popped up. I was able to land and make it temporarily go away by shutting down, and doing a gimbal recalibration and then restarting. But after a few moments of flying the error came back. Rinse and repeat several times until I finally gave up.

Mine started almost immediately on the second day of flight. I wasn't using any special mode at all as I wasn't even videoing at that point, I was simply learning to fly the drone, and within moments of my first take off on the second day, the error popped up. I was able to land and make it temporarily go away by shutting down, and doing a gimbal recalibration and then restarting. But after a few moments of flying the error came back. Rinse and repeat several times until I finally gave up.

This was the first flight in which i tried the video. (I have no clue what I'm doing so don't judge me. LOL) I notice my "jello effect" doesn't seem as pronounced as the other videos posted in this thread. And it also seemed to last only temporarily even though the error message was persistent the whole time I was flying.

The other thing I noticed was about 2 minutes into this video I was experimenting with controlling the gimbal and I pointed it straight down. It was at that point I lost signal, and the automatic RTH kicked in and i just let it come back to see what it would do. I noticed with the gimbal pointed down on the flight back, the video seems much smoother to me.

This was the first flight in which i tried the video. (I have no clue what I'm doing so don't judge me. LOL) I notice my "jello effect" doesn't seem as pronounced as the other videos posted in this thread. And it also seemed to last only temporarily even though the error message was persistent the whole time I was flying.

The other thing I noticed was about 2 minutes into this video I was experimenting with controlling the gimbal and I pointed it straight down. It was at that point I lost signal, and the automatic RTH kicked in and i just let it come back to see what it would do. I noticed with the gimbal pointed down on the flight back, the video seems much smoother to me.

This is the one you had warrantied right?

Because that's not good

Yeah it's on it way back to DJI, shipped it off yesterday.

I will say this though, as much as that annoyed me, had this happened down the road when it was out of warranty, I probably would have just put up with it as opposed to paying a hefty repair bill. I'm the very definition of a "hobbyist flyer" and I don't really care THAT much about the quality of my videos as by and large they will just be for me and if that was the worst jello effect I ever got, I probably could live with it. But since it was under warranty and I had only flown it for like 20 minutes the day before, I thought DJI needs to make this right. Even though I hated sending it back in and being without it.

I will say this though, as much as that annoyed me, had this happened down the road when it was out of warranty, I probably would have just put up with it as opposed to paying a hefty repair bill. I'm the very definition of a "hobbyist flyer" and I don't really care THAT much about the quality of my videos as by and large they will just be for me and if that was the worst jello effect I ever got, I probably could live with it. But since it was under warranty and I had only flown it for like 20 minutes the day before, I thought DJI needs to make this right. Even though I hated sending it back in and being without it.
I was so antsy waiting for my new one, but it's definitely worth it.

I understand where you are coming from, BUT... You spent around $1000 on a flying camera. I get being a hobbyist and not wanting to spend extra money, but if you bought a JetSki that advertised 50mph on the water but wouldn't go over 25mph... You'd be calling the manufacturer.

I feel like the warranty thing is the safety blanket they are hiding under for now, but a year from now... Hopefully it's all been worked out because I can't see how they would charge people for a hardware fault from factory.

Reactions: Order66 and ghjcmo
Yeah I just hope the replacement gimbal arm (If that's what they do) holds up. And I agree with what you're saying and they need to make it right. But once it's out of warranty, I just won't be paying $400 (or whatever is) for repair.

Yeah I just hope the replacement gimbal arm (If that's what they do) holds up. And I agree with what you're saying and they need to make it right. But once it's out of warranty, I just won't be paying $400 (or whatever is) for repair.
My guess is a "batch" got through Quality Control, and made it to some finished products.

They realized too late, and have a bunch on standby for swaps.

That's my wild guess.

Fingers crossed for you

Reactions: Order66 and ghjcmo
I shipped back to Holland (DJI EUROPE). Do they fix the drone or you get brand new? Since my Jello wont go away even after landing... on sec i go up here it goes again... Only way to get rid of jello is to land.... turn off and recalibrate it.... sometimes need to turn off for like 5-6 min... Really annoying...

Their policy, at least for DJI USA, is not to replace the unit if it’s more than a month old. They told me they’re replacing the gimbal arm and sending it back. Hoping to see it early next week.

My guess is a "batch" got through Quality Control, and made it to some finished products.

They realized too late, and have a bunch on standby for swaps.

That's my wild guess.

Fingers crossed for you

I think your guess is pretty much spot on. They just got my drone late yesterday and I've already received an e-mail telling me they're replacing the gimbal axis arm module. So just like with Order66's experience, they seemed to know what it was pretty quickly. Had it not been under warranty, it would have been $100 to repair, so not as bad as I thought.

Anyway they're supposed to repair in 3-6 business days and then ship it back. In the meantime, patience. LOL

Mine’s on the way back, should have it late Wednesday. I’ll keep you posted.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98