DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Overload possible fix (not)

I've been having this issue, too. I went through the DJI chat thing, and it was useless. He asked me like three questions and then said I should send it back. Seriously limited troubleshooting. There was a video for a quick fix on YouTube which I tried, and it worked for the next 8-10 flights before having the problem again today. I did the fix, and took a long flight - worked fine and I thought I was good again until about 8min left, and there's the warning again. UGH. The only thing I can see that might be a common denominator is when the camera is looking down (or down-ish), and I try Spotlight or the like, and it has trouble following something close to directly underneath it. But that doesn't explain why the problem resurfaced tonight on a post-'fix' fireworks flight where I was never looking downward.

I'm really struggling with having to send this drone back to DJI, as it's going to cost me money not having it.
Is there no licensed DJI service repair shop nearby?

Is there no licensed DJI service repair shop nearby?

Nope, I'd have to ship it somewhere. Nearest I know of is about 2.5 hrs drive away and they don't see people in person, shipping only.

well i invested quite a bit in aceessories in this new quad past few weeks, if this doesn't get sorted jumping ship to autel evo II

itsneedtokno,

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up doing to resolve this issue? Return it to DJI? And if so, what was the experience like?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm a brand new Mavic Air 2 owner and my experience mirrors yours pretty much to a T. My first flight was yesterday (first EVER drone flight) and all went well. I just flew for 20 minutes or so, familiarizing myself with the drone and app.

This morning I get up and decide I'm going to fly some more. I took off and almost immediately I get the gimbal error. I went through some of the same processes you did, (in fact I read your post to try what you tried) and I had the same experience. It would fly for a little while and then the gimbal overload error would hit.

So I would like to know what you, or you Order66 had to do to finally resolve the issue. Thanks in advance

Mine went back to DJI this week. They just told me they’re replacing the main gimbal arm under warranty. It’s clear they know something is going on but are playing dumb when you ask them.

Mine went back to DJI this week. They just told me they’re replacing the main gimbal arm under warranty. It’s clear they know something is going on but are playing dumb when you ask them.

Thanks Order66, I have not yet called them, they're closed today anyway. I see I can go online and just schedule a repair but I'd like to talk to them first.

Thanks Order66, I have not yet called them, they're closed today anyway. I see I can go online and just schedule a repair but I'd like to talk to them first.

I wouldn’t waste too much time. They go through super basic troubleshooting (firmware? correct operation? sport mode?) and then just tell you to send it in. Mine was diagnosed same day it got there. It’s clear they’re not surprised.

I wouldn’t waste too much time. They go through super basic troubleshooting (firmware? correct operation? sport mode?) and then just tell you to send it in. Mine was diagnosed same day it got there. It’s clear they’re not surprised.

Well that's good to know. I may just go ahead and do the online thing. I presume you take out the SD card, battery, and props before you send it to them?

Well that's good to know. I may just go ahead and do the online thing. I presume you take out the SD card, battery, and props before you send it to them?

Yep. Well they’ll tell you what they want you to send, but that’s what mine was. Drone body, and gimbal protector only.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight. I was not looking forward to having to send it back, but I might as well get it done.

That’s the conclusion I came to after a few homegrown fixes either didn’t work or temporarily worked. Got tired of hoping I’d have a good luck on flights that counted.

Reactions: ghjcmo
Well on day 1, I loved my first ever drone. On day 2, I'm like "Seriously DJI, after all these years you're still having these kind of issues?" LOL

It’s my fourth DJI, first with an issue that had to go back to them.

It’s my fourth DJI, first with an issue that had to go back to them.

Well that's good to know. I guess it's just (bad) luck of the draw on this. I only have limited flying time in on it, but I was VERY impressed with how easy it was to fly. And the RTH feature is pretty amazing. Nearly all of my RTH landings were just spot on, and the few that were off, were only off by a couple of feet.

I lost signal at one point, which kind of surprised me because I wasn't really that far away, but the RTH kicked in and did it's thing. Really impressed and want to fly more, but now I'll be waiting for awhile I guess. Oh well, at least it's covered.

EDIT TO ADD: When I said DJI was having "these issues" it was because when I googled Gimbal Overload, there was TONS of info out there across several models.

Well I bit the bullet and sent it in today. God only knows when I'll get it back. It's funny I drug my feet about getting a drone for years now, and then when I got one and found out much fun they are, I can't hardly stand the thought of being without it for however long it's going to take.

Hopefully it won't be too long. Being on the East Coast, it took five business days for mine to get to CA (UPS Ground). They received it this past Thursday, and had it diagnosed later that afternoon. It's now in the 'repair and testing' stage, which can take from 3-6 more business days, then 5 days back here, I'm assuming.
And yes, I miss mine, too. :)

Reactions: ghjcmo
itsneedtokno,

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up doing to resolve this issue? Return it to DJI? And if so, what was the experience like?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm a brand new Mavic Air 2 owner and my experience mirrors yours pretty much to a T. My first flight was yesterday (first EVER drone flight) and all went well. I just flew for 20 minutes or so, familiarizing myself with the drone and app.

This morning I get up and decide I'm going to fly some more. I took off and almost immediately I get the gimbal error. I went through some of the same processes you did, (in fact I read your post to try what you tried) and I had the same experience. It would fly for a little while and then the gimbal overload error would hit.

So I would like to know what you, or you Order66 had to do to finally resolve the issue. Thanks in advance
I had to return mine, but when I went to BesyBuy the didn't do an exchange, they actually returned it.

So I decided to order from DJI direct, and it took about 10 days. This was May 20th ish.

I had to return mine, but when I went to BesyBuy the didn't do an exchange, they actually returned it.

So I decided to order from DJI direct, and it took about 10 days. This was May 20th ish.

I probably should have done that as well and just got a new one, but I figured it was easier in the long run to just send it to DJI. For one thing, I'd already purchased the DJI Refresh and i didn't know how big of a hassle it was going to be to transfer it. And I can never get things back in the box the way they came out. LOL

Ask me in 3 weeks and I may give a different answer. LOL

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I probably should have done that as well and just got a new one, but I figured it was easier in the long run to just send it to DJI. For one thing, I'd already purchased the DJI Refresh and i didn't know how big of a hassle it was going to be to transfer it. And I can never get things back in the box the way they came out. LOL

Ask me in 3 weeks and I may give a different answer. LOL
Lol...

I ended up buying a new refresh plan, and getting my first refunded as well.

It took about a month for that to happen though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_