Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Overload possible fix (not)

itsneedtokno

I'm chillin, appreciate it though.
Reactions
Site
codyshoaf.myportfolio.com
Sharing my experience to possibly help others.

On my second flight ever I encountered a "Gimbal Overloaded" message about 3 minutes in to flight. It would cause serious "Jello" issues. (See video below) This problem persisted no matter what. Tripod, Sport, Normal, 4k, 1080, HDR, wind or no wind... 3 minutes into flight, "Gimbal Overloaded".

I tried switching the props just in case they were out of balance, I tried calibrating the gimbal, I tried cleaning the gimbal, I tried an IMU then gimbal Cal... Nothing worked.

Landing would fix it, but when I took off it would happen again, within seconds.

I broke down and called BB for an exchange... Wait a minute, what did you say, 2 week backorder?!? No drone for 20 days? (I'm off work until the 20th) that's a hard pass. So I called DJI to see if they could get me one sooner under warranty.

This is where things take a very unexpected turn.

After explaining my problem in the most infinite detail, the CSR (Mike) had me do a couple things to my drone while he did some things on his side.

I'll detail what I did, no idea what he did though.

1) He had me ensure the gimbal cover was removed. (I think he knew it was on even though the drone was off)

2) Turn the drone on. (he could tell the SD was inside, and asked me to remove it) Turn the drone off to remove SD card.

3) Turn the drone back on, and wait. (The lights were flashing red up front 1 flash per second, and yellow on rear 2 flashes per second.) 1 minute goes by with me waiting.

4) Do a gimbal calibration and turn the drone off.

5) Turn the drone back on, do an IMU and Compass calibration, and test flight. (He put me on hold while I did all this)

----------------------------------------------

My 6 minute test flight went wonderfully. No errors. EDIT: NEVERMIND

I'll be doing another test in just a couple minutes, will be updating.

STILL HAVING ISSUES (3 DAYS LATER)

Another perspective

Last edited:
At the end of the video above when you landed and then re-landed, the video distortion went away following a little jolt. Did you shut the motors down those two time?

At the end of the video above when you landed and then re-landed, the video distortion went away following a little jolt. Did you shut the motors down those two time?

Yes I did. When the motors turn off, the error goes away. If I turn the drone completely off and back on it'll fly for another 3-5 minutes before failure.

That's what appeared to be happening. I would be taking a very close look at the prop mounts on the motors. I don't have the MA2 yet, but if they are similar to the Mavic 2, they have thee 1.5 MM hex fasteners. It's possible one or more are loose or there is some sort of debris beneath one or more. It is also possible that the IMU compensates for the resultant imbalance initially, until it becomes too much. The jello effect stopped instantly when the motors were shut down, and I think that is very telling. If you do remove those little screws, be very careful to not drop one into the motor vent. The magnets will grab it, and then you have another real issue...

Reactions: itsneedtokno
That's what appeared to be happening. I would be taking a very close look at the prop mounts on the motors. I don't have the MA2 yet, but if they are similar to the Mavic 2, they have thee 1.5 MM hex fasteners. It's possible one or more are loose or there is some sort of debris beneath one or more. It is also possible that the IMU compensates for the resultant imbalance initially, until it becomes too much. The jello effect stopped instantly when the motors were shut down, and I think that is very telling. If you do remove those little screws, be very careful to not drop one into the motor vent. The magnets will grab it, and then you have another real issue...

I just took pictures.

One sec for them to upload.

Last edited:
Ok. that third pic is the one. There are two torx fasteners. Take a very close look at all four mounts and check that all fasteners are snug. Look along the seams where each mount sits upon the motor and make sure they are all flush and not sitting at an angle because of possible debris beneath them. Lastly, visually check all the mount's inner flanges to make sure there is not a plastic burr from the mold that is preventing a prop from fully seating correctly.

I'm sure there are springs on each shaft too. Inspect them to assure none are broken and otherwise all look the same.

It’s almost always firmware when the gimbal does that. I would reload new firmware.
The gimbal is usually one of the last steps in the firmware update and it’s got to be right.

Use the assistant 2 and do the update.

Overload means it’s fighting itself with conflicting signals creating heat and jittering.

It’s almost always firmware when the gimbal does that. I would reload new firmware.
The gimbal is usually one of the last steps in the firmware update and it’s got to be right.

Use the assistant 2 and do the update.

Overload means it’s fighting itself with conflicting signals creating heat and jittering.
I did all this, twice, with DJI on the phone and chat.

Jello usually means excessive vibration reaching past the gimbal vibration dampers. Gimbal overload means motors can't move as they should.

With the two, I'd check that the gimbal is properly seated in its mount. If it weren't for the delay in getting a replacement, I would suggest doing that since it is brand new.

So the gimbal overloaded while not flying? It was also jerking? Then its a sign that the gimbal motor or control system not functioning.

So the gimbal overloaded while not flying? It was also jerking? Then its a sign that the gimbal motor or control system not functioning.
Yes, it starts happening (on cold start) 3-6 minutes in to flight. Then landing and turning off the props will fix it, but spooling back up immediately causes it to happen again.

I feel sorry for you same as I fear it may happen to me also. Better send it back and take the safe route. DJI must absolutely make it right here.

Search the old Mavic 1 threads for similar issues, i recall this happening i think Heat was the issue, check the heatsink too. Otherwise, try to press Reset on the camera settings in the DJI APP, this usually fixed any issues I had with frozen camera or not recording or any screen issues or gimbal errors.

If not, reload firmware if possible from the DJI Assistant on PC

It’s bad gimbal firmware. Sometimes it happens.

It needs to be sent back to your dealer or DJI.

Or if you can use the assistant 2 you can maybe get it to work.

I’d tell them you want another new one NOW!

I've been having this issue, too. I went through the DJI chat thing, and it was useless. He asked me like three questions and then said I should send it back. Seriously limited troubleshooting. There was a video for a quick fix on YouTube which I tried, and it worked for the next 8-10 flights before having the problem again today. I did the fix, and took a long flight - worked fine and I thought I was good again until about 8min left, and there's the warning again. UGH. The only thing I can see that might be a common denominator is when the camera is looking down (or down-ish), and I try Spotlight or the like, and it has trouble following something close to directly underneath it. But that doesn't explain why the problem resurfaced tonight on a post-'fix' fireworks flight where I was never looking downward.

I'm really struggling with having to send this drone back to DJI, as it's going to cost me money not having it.

• Sad

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21