DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal protection device

Starbird

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I just started using this site and noted noted all the issues with drone crashes resulting in a very expensive gimbal repair. So just as a heads up I have modified the Gimbal shield that comes with the Mavic and have developed a Gimbal protection device that will clip on the drone and afford some protection in the event of a crash.
This design is imported to a 3d print program and I'm currently Printing out the hardcovers, via my 3d printer.
I have install this protection cover on my Mavic and it seams to work nicely. Very little extra wt. and because it's made from a ABS product it should afford more protection to Gimbal.

So with that said I'm looking for a FEW, less than 8 flyers to beta test and give me your feed back.
The best Beta testers would pilots that have over 100 hours of flight time and are willing to provide feed back as I move forward with this project.

I will develop more items as time goes on.

ABOUT ME:
Retired Engineer from Raytheon / Hughes Aircraft
I fly a Mavic - only less than 10 hours ( Yes I'm a new be)
I live in the Los Angeles area
Working on my 107

You can contact me using this website.

Regards
Dennis

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
I would like to help beta test on my Mavic. I have my 107 cert with requested flight time. Been looking for the device you have created. Thanks.

Thanks for all the feed back -

I'm up loading some photos, and I know many of you will tell me you've see this design on other sites, and that would be a true statement. My Goal is to take this idea, and make vast improvements. From what I've see most these devices you can buy for $10.00 on etsy or Ebay. and are made on a 3d Printer. That is not the goal, in my mind. I want to get a form of drone pilots that can at like a think tank, and the group can provide development ideas.

OK, with that said, I'm going to up load some very basic pics for you guys to look at, and while your doing that, I'm going to set up a web location where we can along into and exchange ideas.IMG_1101.JPG IMG_1102.JPG IMG_1102.JPG IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1105.JPG IMG_1104.JPG

Photos 7/6/2017

Uh yes it is exactly like the things you find all over the place, and no those you find are not 3D printed, they're moulded. If you want to 3D print the same design has been available for months.
This one also seems to have the same issues as the others.

Note that these things haven't been created to offer gimbal protection, but to avoid light flares. When cut properly not to obstruct the camera any protection is negligible.

Last edited:
I think the best design would be to replicate the gimbal cover from DJI but manufacture it with non glare, anti reflective properties. The technology is out there - it's in my eye glasses.

Yes - Kilrah, you are correct BUT it's a place to start and make improvements.

AerialViewSolutions, I have printed out this cover and tested it for any obstruction and didn't seam to be an issue.

I have set up a web site location to work this project and perhaps other projects. So for now this is an open invitation to anyone that would like to participate please EMAIL ME AT [email protected] and I'll send you a invitation to the project web site.

have developed a Gimbal protection device
My Goal is to take this idea, and make vast improvements.
I want to get a form of drone pilots that can at like a think tank, and the group can provide development ideas.
I have set up a web site location to work this project

I unfortunately can't help but laugh when I read this kind of things, it just sounds like overengineering and higher management buzzwords that lead to spending 2 months with daily meetings for 10 people before one starts to get an idea of what we're going to look into doing - for something that's trivial.

Meanwhile others buy the $10 thing, put it on, go fly, notice the view was obstructed at some angles, spend 10 mins grinding away some material to avoid it and the whole thing is sorted.
Having done it I can tell you you're not getting much gimbal protection anymore once you've made it unobstructive for the common camera angles and flight profiles with such a setup... especially since the gimbal damage is often not due to external interference, it's capable enough of damaging itself by bouncing around due to the very loose way it's attached to the aircraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: iQuirk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998