DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbel Resets to 0 by Itself?

Matt M PA

Reactions
Good day all!

I was out with the Mini a bit today, and twice...while taking the same shot...the gimbal rotated upwards rapidly. I was a few feet off the ground, flying backwards in "C" mode away from the house. Just before the end of the move...the gimbal snapped upwards quickly. It only did this while moving backwards.

I did have a Tiffen filter installed, but they haven't been a problem to date.

I'm going to go out and fly again to see if I can replicated the issue, but I'm wondering if there's a button I am pressing that could be causing this to reset? Update. Tried the same shot, several times without issue...

Last edited:
It may be due to flying the mini too close to the ground. A safety feature to protect the camera? During landing, the gimbal will swing the camera up automatically.
I'm not sure if this is to protect the camera or aid in putting the cover on.

It may be due to flying the mini too close to the ground. A safety feature to protect the camera? During landing, the gimbal will swing the camera up automatically.
I'm not sure if this is to protect the camera or aid in putting the cover on.
I believe it’s to protect the camera while landing .
I don’t own a mini but is there a button that resets the camera angle ?.

I know the SC does have that feature / button .

Sorry that’s all I’ve got for ideas .

I believe it’s to protect the camera while landing .
I don’t own a mini but is there a button that resets the camera angle ?.

I know the SC does have that feature / button .

Sorry that’s all I’ve got for ideas .
To my knowledge, there is only a wheel. But, you can also press and hold on the display (phone/tablet) and drag your finger up or down to adjust it also.

I noticed something similar just the other day. While moving forward with gimbal pointed straight down, a rapid stop would move it up a few degrees.
I figured it was the momentum of the camera that caused it.

I noticed something similar just the other day. While moving forward with gimbal pointed straight down, a rapid stop would move it up a few degrees.
I figured it was the momentum of the camera that caused it.
Do a search on the forum for "gimbal jump" - there are several threads on it. Basically when flying with the gimbal pointing straight down there's not enough spare gimbal travel for it to maintain that angle if the drone body pitches/rolls a lot. It's worst in S mode as that allows the drone to tilt up to 30deg in any direction, but the gimbal only has 20deg spare travel when looking down at 90deg. It also happens in P mode, though theoretically it shouldn't need to. I've not noticed it happen in C mode.

Reactions: dino9832
Do a search on the forum for "gimbal jump" - there are several threads on it. Basically when flying with the gimbal pointing straight down there's not enough spare gimbal travel for it to maintain that angle if the drone body pitches/rolls a lot. It's worst in S mode as that allows the drone to tilt up to 30deg in any direction, but the gimbal only has 20deg spare travel when looking down at 90deg. It also happens in P mode, though theoretically it shouldn't need to. I've not noticed it happen in C mode.
Thanks. That makes sense. A rapid stop and the MM tilts up. The gimbal has no room to compensate for the movement.

Reactions: scro
@Matt M PA How much did the gimbal snap up by? If it was just a few degrees then it would most likely have been the "gimbal jump" problem discussed in a few other threads. I've not seen it happen in C mode, but it certainly happens in P and S, so could happen in C if it was a bit windy or with very sudden moves.

Edit: I see in the title that your gimbal jumped back to 0deg, so probably not the "gimbal jump" issue. Possibly the suggested alternative that the gimbal returns to 0deg when landing?

Last edited:
@Matt M PA How much did the gimbal snap up by? If it was just a few degrees then it would most likely have been the "gimbal jump" problem discussed in a few other threads. I've not seen it happen in C mode, but it certainly happens in P and S, so could happen in C if it was a bit windy or with very sudden moves.
The original poster was flying in "C" mode. I was high tailing it home in "P" due to the wind picking up! It wasn't too far away, so I didn't feel I needed "S" speed. I always look straight down with the camera before descending. That way I know exactly where I'm landing.

Edit: I see in the title that your gimbal jumped back to 0deg, so probably not the "gimbal jump" issue. Possibly the suggested alternative that the gimbal returns to 0deg when landing?

Actually, I need to apologize...I had the gimbal slightly up....and it moved quickly DOWN to 0, or about 0. Sorry for the confusion. It couldn't have been much...but I just don't have an answer.

I am fairly sure the "gimbal jump" issue happens at that end of the allowable travel too. If pointing up at the max allowable 20deg, then there is only 15deg of spare headroom. C and P flight modes have 20deg of allowable tilt and S mode has 30deg allowable tilt, so you'd very likely get some jump in all 3 modes.

From what I've seen the gimbal jumps back towards 0deg well before it actually hits either upper or lower physical endstop.

So... probably "gimbal jump" after all :)

The function (Fn) button on the controller can be set to recenter the gimbal as well, make sure you aren't accidentally pressing that button causing the gimbal to recenter.

Where's the "function" button on the MM controller?

Top left side. I am assuming that it is the same controller as the Mavic Air 2 (and I could be completely wrong as I don't have a Mini). But I guess just because they both use the Fly app, they aren't necessarily the same controller.

The MA2 and MM have completely different controllers and there's no Fn button on the MM controller that I've ever seen.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
After some further testing it seems the issue is exaggerated in the "S" mode, and also in windy conditions. The gimbal just doesn't have the room to compensate for the excessive vertical angles the mini experiences with abrupt stops or high winds.

Or, it could be MY mini has issues now. Granted, under normal conditions my mini seems fine.

In my flying since...I haven't had the problem. I was operating in C mode when it occurred...

I had a similar issue - I would use the RC Gimbal Dial to set the gimbal to -90 degrees and after a few seconds the gimbal would start to drift up on its own. This would only happen after the RC was on for about 6-10 minutes.

I have DJI Care but opted for a warranty claim. I did send it in to DJI for a warranty issue and it was diagnosed as having to replace the "Gimbal Dial Module" in the RC. I did receive a new RC from DJI at no cost.

Not sure if is relevant to the problem but the mini does have touch the screen and drag pitch control of the gimbal

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe