DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Glenfinnan Viaduct and the Hogwarts Express

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
We had a great trip with Highland Adventures from Inverness, riding the Jacobite train from Fort Willam to Mallaig and over the Glenfinnan Viaduct before returning via bus to be able to see the train cross back over the Viaduct, however, a user error on the controls meant no footage of the train crossing the viaduct was captured - much to my great dismay - hence only the photos taken whilst on the train are available for this video... Perhaps one day we shall get another chance to see the train cross the viaduct and to film it...

The Glenfinnan Estate now operates a NO DRONES policy - nicely illustrated with a couple of drones nailed to the sign - however you can still overfly the area as long as you do not Take off and Land from their land and maintain Visual Line of Sight with your drone according to the Drone Code. Landowners do not control the airspace, and unless there is an active NOTAM from the CAA they cannot prevent overflight as long as the flight is completed according to Drone Code and complies with GDPR regulations.

We were unaware of this restriction prior to arriving, hence the footage we have is taken from a good distance away - complying with the landowner's request not to fly from their land - which several other fliers did not, I saw 2 other drones flying much closer to the viaduct.

It is a shame that permission is now withdrawn as there used to be a very reasonable £10 Take off fee, but this has now been increased to a £1250 filming license, which is not sustainable for a hobby flier like ourselves.

Glenfinnan Viaduct has been on my bucket list for a while now, but have never had the opportunity to go over there. I had heard rumours of a no-drones policy, so thanks for sharing the details of what is currently there. I suspect it's a bit of a magnet for drone pilots, especially when a steamtrain passes over it! Kudos for respecting the landowner's wishes - flouting these requests only makes the situation worse.

Glenfinnan Viaduct has been on my bucket list for a while now, but have never had the opportunity to go over there. I had heard rumours of a no-drones policy, so thanks for sharing the details of what is currently there. I suspect it's a bit of a magnet for drone pilots, especially when a steamtrain passes over it! Kudos for respecting the landowner's wishes - flouting these requests only makes the situation worse.
Thanks Scro, it was a difficult decisison, I really wanted to fly further, but with hubby not being there to spot for me - as his hip was playing up and he didnt want to make the walk I made at reasonable speed - I had to keep VLOS and decided - after seeing the 2 drones nailed to the NO DRONE signpost - that I would stay well clear...

I could have gotten some amazing closer footage, but would the risk have been worth it, and by respecting their wishes perhaps they will one day change their mind...

We had a great trip with Highland Adventures from Inverness, riding the Jacobite train from Fort Willam to Mallaig and over the Glenfinnan Viaduct before returning via bus to be able to see the train cross back over the Viaduct, however, a user error on the controls meant no footage of the train crossing the viaduct was captured - much to my great dismay - hence only the photos taken whilst on the train are available for this video... Perhaps one day we shall get another chance to see the train cross the viaduct and to film it...

The Glenfinnan Estate now operates a NO DRONES policy - nicely illustrated with a couple of drones nailed to the sign - however you can still overfly the area as long as you do not Take off and Land from their land and maintain Visual Line of Sight with your drone according to the Drone Code. Landowners do not control the airspace, and unless there is an active NOTAM from the CAA they cannot prevent overflight as long as the flight is completed according to Drone Code and complies with GDPR regulations.

We were unaware of this restriction prior to arriving, hence the footage we have is taken from a good distance away - complying with the landowner's request not to fly from their land - which several other fliers did not, I saw 2 other drones flying much closer to the viaduct.

It is a shame that permission is now withdrawn as there used to be a very reasonable £10 Take off fee, but this has now been increased to a £1250 filming license, which is not sustainable for a hobby flier like ourselves.

Very nice.

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Alas, another site for beautiful videography has been lost due to irresponsible drone operators. The video you produced witht the still photography was beautiful.Thanks for posting.

Great footage, pity about their drone policy and their price.
Question, do DSLR etc. users have to pay the filming rights fee?

Last edited:
Thanks Scro, it was a difficult decisison, I really wanted to fly further, but with hubby not being there to spot for me - as his hip was playing up and he didnt want to make the walk I made at reasonable speed - I had to keep VLOS and decided - after seeing the 2 drones nailed to the NO DRONE signpost - that I would stay well clear...

I could have gotten some amazing closer footage, but would the risk have been worth it, and by respecting their wishes perhaps they will one day change their mind...
AlbionDrones, this is all about greed not airspace. These types will not change their minds. I would respect staying clear of any residences, but what I see from the video, it looks pretty wide open. Too bad. 🙁
🇨🇦👍

Last edited:

Kudos to you for being a responsible pilot and flying within the rules no matter how tempting to go that bit closer. Your 'long range's shots are still dramatic showing the viaduct in its landscape setting. Great views of Loch Shiel as well.

Kudos to you for being a responsible pilot and flying within the rules no matter how tempting to go that bit closer. Your 'long range's shots are still dramatic showing the viaduct in its landscape setting. Great views of Loch Shiel as well.
Thans Geoff, I was feeling a little disappointed with the footage after missing the train shots, but it works well enough...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas