DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go 4 app continuously crashing iPhone 7

Welllllllllll.....it looks like i'm joining the club! My Go4 app version 4.1.17 crashes every 20-30 seconds on my iphone 7+ with 11.1. I flew all four of my batteries this past Sunday without any issues. I did nothing different to my phone or the Mavic or the go4 app...but yet for some reason it decided to have this crash episode this morning.

Whenever it crashed, I'd just restart the app and it would continue running as if it never crashed...but then 20-30 seconds later it would crash (immediately disappear/close)....then I would restart app again...and this would repeat several more times. All of that while I'm flying and I never lost control...as if nothing happened.

My ipad air 2 is on iOS 11.0.2 with go4 app version 4.1.17 is still running like a champ.

Right now, as I'm typing....I'm updating my iOS to 11.2...and will later try to fly with this latest iOS and go4 version 4.1.17. If this doesn't work...then I'll update go4 app to 4.1.18.

Oh...and btw...my Mavic firmware is 01.04.0000.

Welllllllllll.....it looks like i'm joining the club! My Go4 app version 4.1.17 crashes every 20-30 seconds on my iphone 7+ with 11.1. I flew all four of my batteries this past Sunday without any issues. I did nothing different to my phone or the Mavic or the go4 app...but yet for some reason it decided to have this crash episode this morning.

Whenever it crashed, I'd just restart the app and it would continue running as if it never crashed...but then 20-30 seconds later it would crash (immediately disappear/close)....then I would restart app again...and this would repeat several more times. All of that while I'm flying and I never lost control...as if nothing happened.

My ipad air 2 is on iOS 11.0.2 with go4 app version 4.1.17 is still running like a champ.

Right now, as I'm typing....I'm updating my iOS to 11.2...and will later try to fly with this latest iOS and go4 version 4.1.17. If this doesn't work...then I'll update go4 app to 4.1.18.

Oh...and btw...my Mavic firmware is 01.04.0000.

UPDATE: Upgrading my iphone 7+'s iOS to 11.2 seems to have fixed my go4's crashing episodes.

So far, the following combo works:

Device: iPhone 7+
iOS: 11.2
Mavic: 01.04.0000 (RC same)
Go4: 4.1.17

I’ve been experiencing software crashes as well.
Most recently this morning.

IPhone 6+, ios 11.2

DJI app version (v4.1.18)

I jumped ship! I have left apple behind and went back to Android. Not the phone listed here but aT-mobile Revvl plus. Great specs, large phone and at $8 down and $8 a month it is a great value. Go 4 loaded up fine and connected. Will fly this weekend I hope

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
The latest version of the DJI Go 4 application is stable on iPad mini 4 running iOS 11.2. Don’t bale on IPad or iPhone that quickly, I am pretty confident I read somewhere that iOS is the platform the Go and Go 4 applications were originally written for and then ported over to Android. Although it may perform just as well on Android devices. Either way all is back to normal for me on iOS 11.2

iOS is the platform the Go and Go 4 applications were originally written for and then ported over to Android

Which is not necessarily an advantage, since starting a new dev project lets them start code base from scratch and learn from mistakes of the first project. As it's often the case, old projects often become mountains of spaghetti code with hard-to-fix bugs. Also, it's not given that both versions are developed by the same team of developers.

I'm a developer, I know.

One of the examples of bugs in ios version that still lives to this day is that sometimes/oftentimes when ios device is switched to home screen or to another app/notification, DJI Go disconnects from Mavic. You need both unplug/plug the cable and restart the app. Which is... exciting when you're flying at 40mph near some cliffs or trees.

It happened to me a few days ago and I solved it by deleting and reinstalling the app. You can save your records by 'syncing' them from the records display while logged onto your DJI account before you re-install. I missed that step and lost the flight records for my first 142 flights. Se le vie!

My understanding is, if you 'sync' again after re-installing, it will restore the synced records to your device.

I'd be glad to know if that really is how it works. Good Luck!

Which is not necessarily an advantage, since starting a new dev project lets them start code base from scratch and learn from mistakes of the first project. As it's often the case, old projects often become mountains of spaghetti code with hard-to-fix bugs. Also, it's not given that both versions are developed by the same team of developers.

I'm a developer, I know.

One of the examples of bugs in ios version that still lives to this day is that sometimes/oftentimes when ios device is switched to home screen or to another app/notification, DJI Go disconnects from Mavic. You need both unplug/plug the cable and restart the app. Which is... exciting when you're flying at 40mph near some cliffs or trees.
F4D46A63-E36F-4AEB-BC93-9CBE56B7CF00.jpeg
I am simply saying that this product DJI Go and Go 4 is currently developed for the iOS platform and is ported to other. Was not inferring that it was the best platform. Also clearly stated on the back of the Mavic box with the MFI classification.

View attachment 26801
I am simply saying that this product DJI Go and Go 4 is currently developed for the iOS platform and is ported to other. Was not inferring that it was the best platform. Also clearly stated on the back of the Mavic box with the MFI classification.
Just ignore him. some people are just naturally anti iOS. and there is nothing you can say that will change their minds.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
What does make you think it's "ported"? Rather than developed from scratch?

Really? who cares besides you? People want what works best, and dont care how it was done.
It is a KNOWN fact that the DJI drones perform best on IOS. People always say it, DJI says it. It has been discussed several times on this forum.
I own both. Apple is a ton more stable than android. As a phone, and a toy controller. They are more expensive so i understand people trying to save money with the discount android devices. My samsung s7 edge had to be shut down and hard rebooted at least once a month because it got wonky. I never have to hard reset my iphones. Lets not even get into replacing broken touch screens, Samsung edge costs more than double the iphone 7 plus screen repair.

Do android people get a royalty payment to convert Apple users or something? There is no way an educated user of both would ever say android is better. It cant be that good of an income stream.

Thats why childrens electronic toys run android instead of IOS Its a BASIC operating system that is cheaper and easier to understand. it is NOT better.

It is a KNOWN fact that the DJI drones perform best on IOS.

What do you mean "performs best"? Do DJI drones fly differently when controlled by ios than by Android? This is shocking news to me. I've flown both and never noticed any difference, besides that .16 I have on my ipadmini 2 crashes every 30 seconds when flying Spark, and I'm SOL since I can't roll it back to a more stable version. With Android, I simply rolled back from .18 to .15 in seconds (you can even have multiple versions installed concurrently) and was smiling ever since.

Android version also has a distinct advantage over the ios one: Offline Maps. You can just download as many maps as you want, don't even need to be connected to a/c. And this is just one evidence that Android version was not just "ported" over.

Also, with Android, you can simply browse file system, copy/paste video cache files, flight logs, etc. You can also use a beefy SD card for video cache, which frees space on the device. Also, with Android, RC charges the phone, which with Wunderphone works like a miracle: you never need to take it out of RC arms to charge, and still fly 8 full batteries worth on full RC charge.

A dedicated cheap Android phone (such as $49 WP) that works like magic is the way to go, there's no need to use your flagship phone for that, keep it in your pocket! With ios, suffering is bound to return once in a while, and you're SOL when it does.

I have noticed that the real "techies" prefer the path with the most challenges and hardware to the plug and play path. They also seem to be the ones that dont want to update. And are walking catalogs of what versions are "best".
I am not saying it is good or bad. Just an observation.
I am just a casual recreational mavic pilot. I dont have the obsession to have tons of hobby related gear to add to my mavic bag. I dont fly covert high altitude missions, I dont need to fly inside controlled airspace.
I dont have a need to understand WHY things work or have a need to be able to work around features I dont agree with . I just expect things to work as advertised. And they have been working super.
I do every update, when I want to fly I grab the mavic and go. Take my daily use PHONE out of my pocket, hook it up and go. Never a problem.
So to the new recreational pilots I say;
Just do as the DJI instructions suggest, all will be fine, do the updates to improve your experience.

To the code Jockies and tech junkies,
It doesnt matter what people say, because the only person that can set it up correctly is YOU.

What does make you think it's "ported"? Rather than developed from scratch?

Ported or developed from the ground up. I generally stay away Android Due to the amount of malware on these devices. Even DJI mentions Android malware in their marketing material for the Crystalsky lineup.
Show me that for iOS in any DJI documents.
This is just the latest instance of the play store allowing malware that was downloaded 4.2 million times.
Yet Another Android Malware Infects Over 4.2 Million Google Play Store Users

You cannot find an article like that on iOS either! So get off your soapbox and put lid on it about Android.

Solution: Dedicate your Apple device to flying so there is rarely if ever a reason to "switched [from DJI GO] to home screen or to another app/notification."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d