DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go beyond maximum altitude of 500m setting?

And many are stupid and do stupid things, read the multiple threads on people doing stupid things. This was the OP's 1st post and there have been multiple 'newbie's' who lost their drones lately by going too high and not being aware of the wind difference.
I have been trying to get information on just that....how do these winds behave at differents altitudes and climates. I know i flew my Mavic Pro with ground winds no more than 15 but when i tried to fly it at 200feet it went the opposite direction i was flying until i put it in sport mode.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I have been trying to get information on just that....how do these winds behave at differents altitudes and climates. I know i flew my Mavic Pro with ground winds no more than 15 but when i tried to fly it at 200feet it went the opposite direction i was flying until i put it in sport mode.

Weather Forecast Maps

BVLOS!! Really?? How many people actually fly with these drones and maintain VLOS? Most people will lie and even the "sheriffs" here do not rule by observance of rules but enforcement and will stick to their story that they obey all they preach. I really cant believe someone brought this one up also.

I have a drone that can go 5miles and has a large screen for me to look at while i fly....oh now i remember....i am supposed to take my spotter along with me so i dont violate BVLOS!

Reactions: Bobby Brown
My bad, I thought the discussion about going higher was wider than just Mavic 2

No - it's a trivial adjustment on the Mavic Pro - at least with earlier firmware versions. You can modify the same parameter on the Mavic 2 but the change doesn't take - it reverts straight back to 500.

Reactions: ff22
Not sure why my previous post was deleted as inappropriate but 5280 feet is my max altitude.

"Your post in the thread Go beyond maximum altitude of 500m setting? was deleted. Reason: inappropriate .I said in a message not on the board
Jan 19, 2019 "

One and only reason to climb higher than 500m would be to get mountain scenery, but, dunno, such scenes are very uncommon and from, say, 1km altitude you do not really going to see much. I have 2 drones that can climb wherever, but, never had a need nor desire to do such stunt. Whole topic is way overrated.
If one wants to fly to a stratosphere despite the law and common sense - get an fpv racer on 6s lipo that can do 40m/s acsent and fly all you want - you are adults and it your decision to obey the law or ignore it. DJI produces vehicles that have to follow official regulations and it is, in fact, very good.

One and only reason to climb higher than 500m would be to get mountain scenery, but, dunno, such scenes are very uncommon and from, say, 1km altitude you do not really going to see much. I have 2 drones that can climb wherever, but, never had a need nor desire to do such stunt. Whole topic is way overrated.
If one wants to fly to a stratosphere despite the law and common sense - get an fpv racer on 6s lipo that can do 40m/s acsent and fly all you want - you are adults and it your decision to obey the law or ignore it. DJI produces vehicles that have to follow official regulations and it is, in fact, very good.

There are legitimate reasons to want to exceed 500 m ascent, especially if the flight remains within 400 ft of the ground. It's difficult to ascend that far, however, without losing VLOS. We are now able to fly BVLOS for search and rescue operations, and so in mountainous terrain that might also involve more than 500 m vertical, perfectly legally.

Reactions: conchman
...and there’s the inevitable response I was waiting for...

The point is, you made no attempt to explain for what purpose you needed to go this height, you just jumped straight in on your first ever post with what could easily be interpreted as either trolling or being foolhardy.

You may be neither, you may be both, your post gave no indication

There are legitimate reasons to want to exceed 500 m ascent, especially if the flight remains within 400 ft of the ground. It's difficult to ascend that far, however, without losing VLOS. We are now able to fly BVLOS for search and rescue operations, and so in mountainous terrain that might also involve more than 500 m vertical, perfectly legally.
So, what i think firmware devs have to get fixed, the 500m altitude limit is legit, but it has to be enforced in relation to current ground level under the vehicle, not in relation to the home position altitude.
I really do not see any issue in that scenario.

So, what i think firmware devs have to get fixed, the 500m altitude limit is legit, but it has to be enforced in relation to current ground level under the vehicle, not in relation to the home position altitude.
I really do not see any issue in that scenario.

That will no doubt happen, but it needs a reasonably accurate DEM on the aircraft, which is going to be a lot of data.

That will no doubt happen, but it needs a reasonably accurate DEM on the aircraft, which is going to be a lot of data.
not a lot lot, plus, all this was already done long ago.
this below explains the concept
Terrain Following — Copter documentation
and this is how it is done:
10 m Elevation data for Mission Planner

all is pretty trivial and works fine - any fpv plane is not supposed to get out without this. how and why dji is not using it - it beyond me. as they have an enforcement of NFZs - it means they do have at least some kind of a vehicle position to terrain reference implementation, so adding up altitude to it should be doable.
and once done everyone will be able to fly exactly 500m above mt.Everest`s summit and be reasonably happy.

not a lot lot, plus, all this was already done long ago.
this below explains the concept
Terrain Following — Copter documentation
and this is how it is done:
10 m Elevation data for Mission Planner

all is pretty trivial and works fine - any fpv plane is not supposed to get out without this. how and why dji is not using it - it beyond me. as they have an enforcement of NFZs - it means they do have at least some kind of a vehicle position to terrain reference implementation, so adding up altitude to it should be doable.
and once done everyone will be able to fly exactly 500m above mt.Everest`s summit and be reasonably happy.

We are not talking about the same thing. Yes - it's trivially available for mission planning - Litchi already does that. And you could certainly upload a local DEM to the aircraft in advance for use while flying. I'm referring to what would be needed to fly anywhere in the world (or even just North America, for example) without having to upload DEM data before each flight for the specific area that it is flying, which is the kind of solution that DJI is going to want to implement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura