DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go with the Zoom over the Pro

I've been a professional videographer since 1987. I shoot primarily for TV ad production. I've bucked 30lb. video cameras around on my shoulder with a ten pound battery pack on my belt and thought "wow, can't believe how compact these cameras are getting." Needless to say, the generation of aerial cameras that has been introduced in the last 3-5 years leave my mouth hanging open most of the time. I've been shooting with a Phantom 2 with a GoPro Silver mounted to the Zenmuse Gimbal for the last couple of years when I need aerial shots in my spots (and give the GoPro its due...1080p, 30fps, nice color depth...for something the size of a deck of playing cards that really barely qualifies as being a camera...wow. It definitely delivers when I need a 4 second dramatic flyover of a car dealership).

I'm currently waiting on my Pro2 Zoom (supposed to be here by the 5th). I am VERY excited about getting to use an actual optical zoom in the air. Yes, you can zoom hi-res video in post...but you can NOT get the sensation of zooming that comes from being in a 3D space. You can also zoom still pictures in post. Same problem trying to get that "zoom" feeling. Video, once it has been captured, is flat...2D...you can't go "into" it the way you can go "into" a scene in front of the camera. The camera generates unique and subtle warping to the top and sides of the video frame that can only be generated most effectively in a 3D space through zooming or dolly movements. Elements within the frame will move independently of the background based on their distance from the camera lens. None of those depth of field elements can be re-created in a 2D post zoom.

I have, so far, watched more than three hours of Mavic2-Zoom footage (thanks to all of the reviewers who've gotten this thing out an up in the air!!). This is the camera, with the functionality, that I'm needing. Yes, a 10bit color profile will deliver a billion colors...but the Vizio or Insignia Flatscreen from Wal-mart that most people will see my stuff on is still only capable of 16million colors (and, depending on your cable company or your TV or cable network, it's probably not even being delivered at 8bit.) Since most of what I do these days is being delivered as pre-roll in front of a YouTube or news video, there is even less emphasis on color depth.

If I were shooting for portraits, artistic prints, etc...yeah, I'd want to go with the good glass and the bigger sensor in the Hassie. But, for exciting aerial footage, I've put my money on the Zoom.

What I want to know more about is the Zoom's 48 MP Super Resolution Photo? How big can you enlarge a print before it gets overly pixelated? If it looks good, I'm clicking the buy button now. But if the Pro 2 still images can be enlarged bigger, then I'll have to choose that one, even though the zoom would be so fun to play with.

What I want to know more about is the Zoom's 48 MP Super Resolution Photo? How big can you enlarge a print before it gets overly pixelated? If it looks good, I'm clicking the buy button now. But if the Pro 2 still images can be enlarged bigger, then I'll have to choose that one, even though the zoom would be so fun to play with.

I'd say if you're going to print larger than 16x20 and stand close to the photo the Pro 2 would be the way to go. I think if it's just a picture across your living room, the zoom photo's can be made to look really good in post production. If you are picky about the image, you will need to tweak it with software regardless, just speaking from my experience doing real estate photography, and as a lifelong hobby. If you want a free picture editor, I like Gimp. For video I like Davinci Resolve. They seem intimidating at first, but after watching a few youtube videos you'll be well on your way, and a few months from now, you'll think, "that really wasn't that hard".

Regards,

Kevin

I read some misconceptions here. Perspective does not change with optical zooms. Optic elements can produce some side effects when zooming that a digital zoom won't, but in 99% of cases you can't tell the difference between an optical zoom and a good digital one (with enough resolution to work with, motion blur...).

The 2 Pro can shoot in 4K cropped mode, that's roughly equivalent to a 39mm lens, in addition to the 28mm when using the full sensor. Not as much range as the 24-48mm the Zoom offers, true. And not as fun as changing the focal length at will with no setting-fiddling or post-processing required.

So the 3 things you can't do with the 2 Pro are 4K zooms (ie, dolly zooms), 24mm shots (just 28mm) and 48mm shots (just 39mm).

Phillip Bloom estimates the 4K crop to be 1.6x. My calculations based on the sensor size were 1.4x. With 1.6x the longer focal length would be equivalent to 45mm.
First hands on impression of the DJI Mavic 2 Pro | Philip Bloom- Blog

Reactions: tomibeg
I'd say if you're going to print larger than 16x20 and stand close to the photo the Pro 2 would be the way to go. I think if it's just a picture across your living room, the zoom photo's can be made to look really good in post production. If you are picky about the image, you will need to tweak it with software regardless, just speaking from my experience doing real estate photography, and as a lifelong hobby. If you want a free picture editor, I like Gimp. For video I like Davinci Resolve. They seem intimidating at first, but after watching a few youtube videos you'll be well on your way, and a few months from now, you'll think, "that really wasn't that hard".

Regards,

Kevin

I'm a newb fumbling my way through YouTube and skillshare tutorials trying to use Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hi has anyone tried to fit the new mavic in the dji sling bag with the goggles.

Yes, the Goggles/Mavic Sling Bag works find with the Mavic 2s.

I got to do my maiden flight today with the M2P just in the neighborhood, nothing fancy.
DJI_0005.jpg

That's a beautiful shot! Great colors! How are you liking things this far?

Reactions: Swirleigh
Took the MP2 Pro out again yesterday. It definitely produces nice pictures and video. Still not convinced this is the drone for me which is why I ordered this....

IMG_3342.JPG

Also, here is a pic from yesterday.

IMG_3332.JPG

It does work great with the RE googles. The HD reception is better than what it was with the MP.

Attachments

• IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    541.7 KB · Views: 85
Took the MP2 Pro out again yesterday. It definitely produces nice pictures and video. Still not convinced this is the drone for me which is why I ordered this....

View attachment 44717

If you could have waited a bit, we might could have worked out a swap because I'm still seriously thinking that I should have gone for the Pro instead of the zoom (my MPZ should be arriving on Wed next week). I'd buy both too, but I'm already in trouble with the boss for buying the new one without selling my MP1 first! :)

Reactions: Soft7
This is why I really hate DJI for introducing these two models without the ability to simply swap out the cameras. Was it that hard for them to figure that out or are they holding out for later models?

I am torn btw the models and have just put off making a decision until I see some members posts with their experiences, thoughts and opinions based on using the two models. I already owning the previous version of the Mavic pro and also a Mavic air so this is really agonizing. Some days I think the better quality and other days the zoom. I don't want to do lot of editing in post, basically all I do is recreational shooting and flying. Oh woo is me the decisions we have to make these days!

It probably was too hard to sort out on a body the size and weight of a MP.
Phantom 5 id expect it to be much easier. Its got a lot more room and weight to work with.

This is why I really hate DJI for introducing these two models without the ability to simply swap out the cameras. Was it that hard for them to figure that out or are they holding out for later models?

I am torn btw the models and have just put off making a decision until I see some members posts with their experiences, thoughts and opinions based on using the two models. I already owning the previous version of the Mavic pro and also a Mavic air so this is really agonizing. Some days I think the better quality and other days the zoom. I don't want to do lot of editing in post, basically all I do is recreational shooting and flying. Oh woo is me the decisions we have to make these days!

Hi 3goldens,
I can definitely understand your dilemma. I'm waiting to see how things go with the new owners, and enjoying looking at their pics and videos. Cropping (zooming) in post is fast and easy, so that doesn't bother me if the footage is actually cool enough to make me excited. Unfortunately I have to drive for a thousand miles to get to anything spectacular, although if you want to see any videos of woods or soybean fields, I'm your guy!

It'll be the Pro 2 for me. I've wanted the 1 inch sensor all along, and I like taking videos and pics of colorful sunsets with clouds, so the increased dynamic range and low light ability is what would make it worth the upgrade over my trusty MP. Rumor has it the Mavic Pro 4 will have the one inch sensor, 4x optical zoom, and shoot at 4k 120 fps, and an Android app that works. I'm also looking forward to the anti-matter batteries with unlimited flight time.

Regards,

Kevin

Reactions: 3goldens
I was leaning toward the zoom, figured the image quality was only marginally worse than the pro, but then I saw this video! Check out the side by side starting around 11:30, the pro is FAR superior, whether in 4k or 1080p. Makes me think he had some settings wrong on the zoom or something.

Did I hear that if you purchased the M2Z and after using it and then decided you wanted the Pro you could send it to DJI and for a price they would swap the cameras out???

I am torn between the two -But if I purchase the Zoom and 3 months later I decide I should have purchased the Pro I probably would pay $300 or $400 to swap cameras. Cheaper than buying two birds. Or sell and rebuy????

Last edited:
DJI announced an after-sale service of a camera swap. It has to be sent to them.

That comparison video is showing D-Cinelike ungraded from the Zoom, and it looks like gray mud. I've seen MUCH better video clips coming directly from the Pro2-Zoom without grading in D-Log mode. I would say something is VERY wrong with that side-by-side. If my Zoom produces a shot with color depth and dynamic range like that, I will be boxing it up and returning it same day!!

Reactions: YorkshirePaul
DJI sent it to him for evaluation, for free advertising. From what he said, he appears to have a lot of DJI drone experience.

That comparison video is showing D-Cinelike ungraded from the Zoom, and it looks like gray mud. I've seen MUCH better video clips coming directly from the Pro2-Zoom without grading in D-Log mode. I would say something is VERY wrong with that side-by-side. If my Zoom produces a shot with color depth and dynamic range like that, I will be boxing it up and returning it same day!!
Agreed. Something is very wrong....he has a clear bias for the pro!

Not only the bad dynamic range and color, the Zoom also has much worse resolution in that comparison. Gotta be something wrong with his unit or the test. Another test Id like to see is alternating shots from the Pro, some with hq graded dlog-m and some with full fov graded to match as closely as possible. If i get the Pro I dont want to be confined to mostly just the hq; fov is too narrow. If the two sizes can be interweaved well (maybe by forgoing dlog in fq mode?), the Pro is back in contention. But if not, I need to see the Zoom looking a lot better than in that test, or heck, maybe I'll save money and go for the Air!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S