DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go with the Zoom over the Pro

For me, the Zoom really feels like a gimmick. Think about it...if you’re out shooting a particular location, how many times are you going to put the dolly zoom in your final video? Once or twice should really be the max. Overuse of an effect of transition in a video is an easy way to make a crappy video. And using the optical zoom can easily be done in post where the majority of people wouldn’t be able to tell if that zoom was optical or post-production. These drones are cameras first and that’s where the 1” sensor really does matter. Much more dynamic range for balancing those shots with highlights and shadows. Sunsets look better, whitecaps on waves look better, shooting at dawn or dusk looks better. I feel that the dolly zoom and regular zoom features will get played out rather quickly and then you’re left with a tiny sensor camera.

I was leaning toward the zoom, figured the image quality was only marginally worse than the pro, but then I saw this video! Check out the side by side starting around 11:30, the pro is FAR superior, whether in 4k or 1080p. Makes me think he had some settings wrong on the zoom or something.

Wow...wow. I’m suddenly much happier with my Mavic 2 Pro purchase after seeing that side by side at 11:30. It’s not even close!

Reactions: mig25
That comparison video is showing D-Cinelike ungraded from the Zoom, and it looks like gray mud. I've seen MUCH better video clips coming directly from the Pro2-Zoom without grading in D-Log mode. I would say something is VERY wrong with that side-by-side. If my Zoom produces a shot with color depth and dynamic range like that, I will be boxing it up and returning it same day!!

I suspect that the video was shot with the Beta Release firmware as it was a promitional gift.

DJI missed a trick. They could have offered a quick release interchangeable camera system so you could buy the additional camera as well and swap at leisure. It may just have not been practicable though or they figured they may sell more entire drones to satisfy any demand?

DJI missed a trick. They could have offered a quick release interchangeable camera system so you could buy the additional camera as well and swap at leisure. It may just have not been practicable though or they figured they may sell more entire drones to satisfy any demand?

Cant see that being easy - as well as a gimbal and camera it needs all the image processing and other stuff associated with it. Currently thats a board inside the mavic.
There's no space on the mavic form factor to have that stuff hanging on the outside of it.

Cant see that being easy - as well as a gimbal and camera it needs all the image processing and other stuff associated with it. Currently thats a board inside the mavic.
There's no space on the mavic form factor to have that stuff hanging on the outside of it.

Are you sure that the main board differs and it’s not just slightly different firmware on the eeprom?

Nobody knows what SOCs either drone uses (or if theyre the same or not).
The zoom may use the same hardware as the old mavic, or may not. Nobody has done a proper full strip down yet.

I got to do my maiden flight today with the M2P just in the neighborhood, nothing fancy.
DJI_0005.jpg

Awesome photo!

I initially thought that I would need both the Pro and Zoom at some point and ordered the Pro first. I found out (along with other people on Youtube) that the Pro has a 4K HQ mode that is cropped and roughly equivalent to 40mm. So if you're ok with having two "primes" on the Pro (28 and 40mm) then there's no need for the zoom.

I don't need the zoom anymore.

Reactions: Aerial-Pixel
I initially thought that I would need both the Pro and Zoom at some point and ordered the Pro first. I found out (along with other people on Youtube) that the Pro has a 4K HQ mode that is cropped and roughly equivalent to 40mm. So if you're ok with having two "primes" on the Pro (28 and 40mm) then there's no need for the zoom.

True. However, you can’t do the moving away/toward whilst zooming in/out dolly type shooting which is the Zoom’s maison d’etre. Although this didn’t have a big enough appeal for me over pure image quality.

Cropping in on the sensor does NOT do the same thing as changing focal distance..

I reminded myself that There is already p4adv with 1” sensor in my closet. After that It was very easy to determine which Mavic 2 to get
zoom zoom

Took the MP2 Pro out again yesterday. It definitely produces nice pictures and video. Still not convinced this is the drone for me which is why I ordered this....

View attachment 44717

Also, here is a pic from yesterday.

View attachment 44718

It does work great with the RE googles. The HD reception is better than what it was with the MP.

So how will you divide the usage between the 2 drones?

I have had the pleasure to fly the Pro and the Zoom for a week now. My conclusion ....both are great. The only thing better would be the Pro with Zoom!

The Pro has the advantage in low light conditions. Also, its geared for the professionals, just like the name implies. On the devices I use, I really did not see a huge picture quality advantage.

The Zoom is more practical for me. Here in Wisconsin we have hilly terrain and the Zoom really works well while staying high (better reception in the hills) and zooming in below. In my opinion, the Zoom picture quality looks better than the Pro's picture quality when flying at 300"+ .....and using full zoom function vs post edit cropping.

At the end of the day, both are great drones and you can't go wrong. I can't really say anything bad about either one. Now that I have experience both, my pick is the ZOOM. I probably won't keep both. I guess one nice benefit of being a DJI Select Member is the 30 day return policy.

Reactions: Greenflash
I love my Mavic 2 ZOOOOM !!

Yesterday I flew to a bridge half a mile from where I live, hovered at 40 feet, and shot this view of the creek below using the zoom at 48 mm. I'm DELIGHTED with my M2 Zoom!
kathy_bridge.png

Field of view isnt everything. Its perspective compression. You'll get a substantially different feel to the image filming at 48mm vs cropping into about 48mm.

That said, i ordered the pro (if they ever ship it) because for me the mavic 1 camera was by far the weakest part and the M2 zoom doesn't offer any improvements there.
It does record at a higher bitrate than the original Pro. Still waiting on comparison vids between the MP and M2Z, but I would bet there's a noticeable improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlStarke
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803