DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles Antenna upgrade time!

brodz

Reactions
Well i bought my goggles 2 days ago and they cant compete with my moded remote antennas ... i really enjoy the view. But im limited to half my range ..so i figured i may as well take a look to see if its possible to upgrade or modify the stock antennas ... I cant beleive i already busted out the tools on my 3 day old goggles ..but i cant find any info on the subject , which just made me more qurious to see..i found both antennas located above the ears in the headband.. just wondering if any one can name this type of pcb antenna.. i think im just going to install some sma connectors and buy or build a few to test out for now.. any suggestions would be appreciated..ill post a few photos of the dissasembled head band..looks like it should be a simple mod..maybe a couple 2.4 triangler polorized coat hanger antennas sticking out the sides will help [emoji12]
b665cc019f63d271134c9abd4510ba20.jpg
c1124d91456776c7eb882926fd93b11c.jpg
1508646031849.jpg
cf5379a567dec45ce017c5a2819a5648.jpg
79a226db673abd31b24cc5dd23d8998e.jpg

d06ce0bd16268bea674e1428b0ca46aa.jpg
46d173043454bf56256399dfd4004765.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsTreat
Im leaving thr orininal antenna to goggle connections alone.. im planning on cutting off the pcb antenna.and in its place solder on a sma type connection on both existing wires then drill a hole for each .. that way i can test or use whatever sma antenna i want

Actually im leavinh the left ear antenna as is. Because its wire is enclosed in the harness. But the right ear is all alone ..so im just gona start with modifiying the right earside antenna

Ok here is a link to tge fcc report on the goggles were i got these pics from..so from what i just read i guess there is a total of four antennas in the goggles .. heres the sentence and the link "The device employed 1.4MHz and 10MHz modes, employed 4 antennas, the system configure 1T2R depending on better performance by the system automatically recognizes. For 1.4MHz mode, 38 channels are provided to testing: Channel" that sentance is in test reportFCC ID SS3-G1S1612 DJI Goggles by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
That's a 5.8 ghs dipole antenna.
Well i bought my goggles 2 days ago and they cant compete with my moded remote antennas ... i really enjoy the view. But im limited to half my range ..so i figured i may as well take a look to see if its possible to upgrade or modify the stock antennas ... I cant beleive i already busted out the tools on my 3 day old goggles ..but i cant find any info on the subject , which just made me more qurious to see..i found both antennas located above the ears in the headband.. just wondering if any one can name this type of pcb antenna.. i think im just going to install some sma connectors and buy or build a few to test out for now.. any suggestions would be appreciated..ill post a few photos of the dissasembled head band..looks like it should be a simple mod..maybe a couple 2.4 triangler polorized coat hanger antennas sticking out the sides will help [emoji12]
View attachment 23590

That's a 5.8 GHz
View attachment 23590

Well i dont get it ..i tried a 2.4ghz halfspiral on my goggles ( 1 antenna only so far)and no improvement on range the. Then a 2.4 biquad i made and same deal! no improvement. I tried with no phone and phone connected .. all i notice is with phone connected is that i lose video on goggles and phone at same exact time.same hiccups. But video seems to return too cell first.. i then installed the biquad on my video receive side on remote. with no goggles running and have a new long range flight record! So i no the antenna is good.. i guess for the next attempt im going to try both stock antennas on goggles with the same type of directional antennas..just to see if i can improve the range on the goggles, i guess... There has to be others out there ripping apart there goggles for more range other than just me?i hope! Im not sure what to try. I should probbly buy one of those antenna signal gizmos to see how there working...bingo i gut a idea! maybe its just like the mavic..one tx one rx.. 1 receives video from the mavic and one transmites flight modes and crap to the remote..so maybe i modded the wrong antenna!

Reactions: ore59
Ok im starting too think there is actually 4 antennas involved just like i read in the fcc file on this thing.. so it probbly operates like my mimo router right? with four antennas.. and just modding one antenna doesnt help. ya need to do all four.. see in the photos below both ear side antennas have a 3 on one and a four on the other..so one and two are inside the goggles im assuming..
259d586efb4fb851b61a9b4ca1c655a6.jpg
5f68a4cf72ab8dbc6994ca668bee7190.jpg

Well i tried the antenna behind the usb port ..swapped out the antenna for a sma connector and spun on the directional antenna and bam!. it defintly increased my range to get out there with the modded remote..only one flight, but too windy to push it this late at night..now just need to clean up the looks of the goggles sumhow.. i have no clue if theres 2 or 4 antennas but have the 2 antennas modded.both above the ears.both same location.. but i figure id post this hole thing if anyone is thinking to have a go at it.it was as nurve racking as cracking open the remote for the first time.. just becarefull not to tear the big copper ground sticker that goes from behind the usb port and across your forehead area . That was the hardest part to deal with pretty much. I even flew it from indoors on couch for the test flightnot expecting much.but turned out well worth it..i think the hardest part is to make the goggles look normal with external antennas..

Excellent initiative, dillagence and reasearch. You are keeping this hobby fun and thank you. I’m mapping out amplifier mods and I ran into this issue and thread. My take away is that you need to buy 4 amps with four SMA connections and you will look like you are out of the Matrix movie when you put it on. It won’t be functionaly MIMO anymore but that’s a non issue with the amps. Possible brain tumors in 10-20 years (kidding).

Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
Thx but it is a bit complicated for my technical abilities..Any tutorial video?

I’m wondering about the realized benifit. If it in fact it uses a MIMO like antenna array, you would have to use an antenna analyzer to quantify the direction and dbm gain of each antenna. The MIMO array MIGHT be driven by an algorithm that uses the highest SNR antenna (or pair) at a specific point in time (just a guess). You would need to improve on the whole array design while keeping the same array scheme, pattern, impedance AND tuning the SWR correctly while running through low splatter amps. If your getting this deep into it you might as well use a multi element yagi with an antenna tracker and abandon the two antennas that are in the head band. Those might be Rx only? Any engineers or fellow Ham’s on here?

In my opinion modding the goggles antennas would be a waste of time. I've stuck a high gain patch ant on the transmitter. I used to get 1080p at 4km out stock,now I get over 9km at 1080p! Battery is now the limiting factor. I'm certain the goggles receive the signal from the one of the transmitter antennas, that would explain my increase in video range.

Once people have agreed upon the best cells and connection method for our M2s in the battery mod forum, it would be great if someone with the experience modding the white goggles would take a swing at the RE goggles. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart