DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Going with the Flow

A path like this reminds me of "tree skiing" where you simply have to look at the spaces, not at the trees. :O

A path like this reminds me of "tree skiing" where you simply have to look at the spaces, not at the trees. :O
Here goes with my stupid question.....in flying this drone, you really do not have line of sight view of the drone right? E.g.: you are following the drone through the goggles? I am really getting confused with FPV and Avata.
In any case, this video was truly amazing to me.

I really enjoyed watching all that! The music was fun and what a beautiful and interesting place. Great job. You know Dale D, that is the question all FPV drone operators have to keep in mind these days. Flying in a remote location like that is no big deal but flying anywhere else in a town or city has to be a concern if you don't have VLOS or at least a spotter. I think FPV drones are great but we need to make sure pilot's enthusiasm for them doesn't hurt all other drone pilots.

I really enjoyed watching all that! The music was fun and what a beautiful and interesting place. Great job. You know Dale D, that is the question all FPV drone operators have to keep in mind these days. Flying in a remote location like that is no big deal but flying anywhere else in a town or city has to be a concern if you don't have VLOS or at least a spotter. I think FPV drones are great but we need to make sure pilot's enthusiasm for them doesn't hurt all other drone pilots.
Thanks Dave- I am still confused by the capabilities of these two drones. I think I am just too old to handle them.

Thanks Dave- I am still confused by the capabilities of these two drones. I think I am just too old to handle them.
I know what you mean Dale. There is a great video on YouTube by "51 Drones":
where he has some very interesting experience with the new Avata. If I tried it, I think that's whsat would happen to me. The way I look at flying drones is, ever since the Mavic, drones have become small enough and the cameras good enough, to provide us with very pleasurable experiences flying because the smaller drones can go almost anywhere and give us the opportunity to make great photos or video either low, up-close and personal or from a very high bird's eye view. They are wonderful tools for expanding our ability to create beautiful images.

Yes, this flight did worry me some. On the first attempt the drone starting drifting left because I was going too slow! There seems to be a certain minimum speed that is needed to keep the flight path under control. The second attempt (this flight) went well because my focus was 20' ahead rather than 5'. The other part is commitment, I have learned to not chicken out, once you go for it you stick with it. I had a minor crash last week trying to fly between some branches when I stopped the attempt and veered off and hit the branch anyway. Had I just kept going pretty sure I would have made it!

Here goes with my stupid question.....in flying this drone, you really do not have line of sight view of the drone right? E.g.: you are following the drone through the goggles? I am really getting confused with FPV and Avata.
In any case, this video was truly amazing to me.
Nope, its a good question Dale. The goggles inhibit visual sighting so a spotter is needed to be legal. IMO the goggles are safer than flying using a phone since even minor details are clearly visible. My main concerns are flying low (below 100') and avoiding flying near people. Glad you came along for the flight!

Good points and Thanks for watching.

I'm 74 next week Dale. I dont think anyone is too old for this drone. I have had the Avata less than a month and decided to sell both my Mini 1 and Mini 2 last week. I just dont see myself flying them anymore since this drone has a better camera and can do anything the minis can do as well or better. The Avata only has a 2 axis gimbal but has a Horizon steady setting that electronically keeps the horizon flat so it does great Cinematic video as well. It is hard to believe just how flat it keeps the horizon. The best part of this drone is it opens up a whole new envelope to explore on the smaller scale of things. You can fly up small creeks and ravines that other drones would be too risky to attempt and it is amazing how small perspectives can really cool to view. The other thing is this drone shows the height above the ground up to 30'. You can fly 2' above the ground at 15 mph and not worry about crashing. It sounds like a gimmick but I find myself constantly looking at that height reading to be sure I am not getting too close to the ground. Most of the FPV pilots flyng One Shot through buildings are flyng this drone in N Mode because it is safer and more controllable than Manual where elevation must be constantly controlled with the right stick.

I'm 74 next week Dale. I dont think anyone is too old for this drone. I have had the Avata less than a month and decided to sell both my Mini 1 and Mini 2 last week. I just dont see myself flying them anymore since this drone has a better camera and can do anything the minis can do as well or better. The Avata only has a 2 axis gimbal but has a Horizon steady setting that electronically keeps the horizon flat so it does great Cinematic video as well. It is hard to believe just how flat it keeps the horizon. The best part of this drone is it opens up a whole new envelope to explore on the smaller scale of things. You can fly up small creeks and ravines that other drones would be too risky to attempt and it is amazing how small perspectives can really cool to view. The other thing is this drone shows the height above the ground up to 30'. You can fly 2' above the ground at 15 mph and not worry about crashing. It sounds like a gimmick but I find myself constantly looking at that height reading to be sure I am not getting too close to the ground. Most of the FPV pilots flyng One Shot through buildings are flyng this drone in N Mode because it is safer and more controllable than Manual where elevation must be constantly controlled with the right stick.
Don't get angry, but I would consider you a youngster compared to my 84. As you get older, you get more conservative. In my 40's I loved driving a Porsche 911. Now I enjoy a Lexus SUV.Most of my flying involves using a drone to supplement travel videos made up of multiple-media(drone,. DSLR, Osmo Pocket, Osmo Action etc). I take my Mavic 3 with Pro controller. To carry this (Avata) drone as well would really load me down in the overhead compartment. I think I will just settle for watching you "young guys," for now.

Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jigjjihhwohekjgh2857