DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GOOD NEWS!!! SDKs will be available for Mavic 3 & Air 2S

As mentioned in other threads or previous posts above...
Even if SDK is not released for the Mavic 3, it may in-directly work it's way into 3rd Party via other Mavic 3 platforms soon to release.

The DJI in-house support of WP, Mapping, etc.. that use on-board memory & processing is being directed towards the Enterprise class of crafts. The M2P/Z is the last Mavic to provide on-board mission processing.
Heard tid-bits on a Mavic 3 Enterprise, that probably will contain FW & SDK to support WP Missions & Grids within Pilot App... which indicates 3rd Party will receive for their Apps too. I would assume that SDK could be utilized for the Mavic 3 too, with very minor edits to provide virtual stick WP to the Mavic 3.

On a different tangent; The new Inspire 3 won't be "Enterprise" and I surely wouldn't think DJI would place on the FLY App... it wouldn't come close to Cinematography Professional needs and all the additional add-ons provided by DJI & 3rd Parties... Focus dial, Monitors, Slave, etc.

That leans to suggest a possible new App may be released with the Inspire 3... even if called ProFly, something more capable. Question, would a Mavic 3 Pro be in plans that would use the Inspire 3 ProFly app and gain on-board processing & SDK (if M3 FW allowed).

If all the speculation above did transpire with release of Inspire 3 and later with the Mavic 3 Pro... would the FW be updated for the current Mavic 3 to utilize the newer full feature Cinematography App?

A question I've always pondered since Mavic 3 release... does the mainboard support on-board processing that simply hasn't been utilized within Firmware? I doubt the mainboard of the Enterprise will be much different if any other than Firmware and use of existing circuits. As another possible separation... would the Mavic 3 Cine move to Inspire 3 ProFly while the Mavic 3 remains on the Fly App? That would be a frustrating sting for sure!

More likely in my opinion, the Inspire 3 will be focused to the professional cinematographers and the Mavic 3 will be excluded... acknowledging a platform difference between the two crafts. But the SDK for the Mavic 3 Enterprise, will likely be applicable for the Mavic 3 too... in-directly. If you examine DJI SDK, all versions for all crafts are 90% identical... all common program calls: altitude, turns, camera / gimbal controls, etc are the same program syntax across all crafts... DJI doesn't use separate programs calls for same functions on different crafts... that would be a programming database nightmare in short order. Within the "new" SDK Libraries they add modules specific for the Crafts that contain unique programs calls. This is often the reason a FW bug occurs after an FW update... they've updated a general or specific library program call that disagrees with the general / specific libraries.

Waypoints does NOT equal automated flight. We need support for DroneDeploy, Pix4D, etc. Litchi is fine, but it's not the solution most of us are looking for when talking about support for Waypoints. Also, another YTuber heard from DJI that waypoints will NOT be supported on the M2/M3 lines.
You said it. Lots of posts out there saying we are not going to see a Mavic 3 SDK anytime soon (that is why I sent my Mavic 3 back to the store Gigantti here in Finland TODAY). If DJI wants to take the all-important Waypoints away from us and be stupid, can't do anything about it. But I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DJI PRODUCT UNTIL THEY PUBLISH THE SDK. Why buy a paperweight.

last week I wrote to DJI SDK support.

I asked them if they were planning on releasing the SDKs for the Air 2S and Mavic 3 and here is what they answered.

Hummels Lei (DJI)
2021年12月13日 GMT+815:52
Dear Serge
Thank you for contacting DJI.

Yes. We will release SDK for Air 2S and Mavic 3. And the mobile SDK version that supports Air 2s will be released at the end of December.

Hopefully our solution can help you.
Kindly Regards,
DJI Developer Support

We will have waypoints and other applications made by third parties. :)
So who is the liar? This guy, or the DJI rep who sent 3 emails to another person on these blogs making it crystal clear that they won't support Waypoints and the SDK isn't coming anythime soon?

You said it. Lots of posts out there saying we are not going to see a Mavic 3 SDK anytime soon (that is why I sent my Mavic 3 back to the store Gigantti here in Finland TODAY). If DJI wants to take the all-important Waypoints away from us and be stupid, can't do anything about it. But I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DJI PRODUCT UNTIL THEY PUBLISH THE SDK. Why buy a paperweight.
If you require an SDK, there are plenty of other DJI aircraft for which it is already available, with full Litchi support, including Waypoints. The Mavic 2 Pro is still a viable aircraft and a good alternative to the Mavic 3, in that regard. SDK's take time to be created. They first have to have a fully fledged stable FW for the aircraft, before opening it up to third party developers with an SDK. Typically, that is 6-18 months after release. You are too early for the Mavic 3.

So who is the liar? This guy, or the DJI rep who sent 3 emails to another person on these blogs making it crystal clear that they won't support Waypoints and the SDK isn't coming anythime soon?
I can't imagine SDK not being released... technically there already is SDK for the Mavic 3.. all the programig and features within Fly App are part of the SDK... it's just not finalized & released.

It may be getting held up while they finalize the Mavic 3 Enterprise too.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803