DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GOOD NEWS!!! SDKs will be available for Mavic 3 & Air 2S

Hi Helnet, do you have any more news abput this? can we expect waypoints or other app for the Mavic 3 any time soon?
Waypoints will be supported via 3rd party Apps via the SDK.
Very much doubt M3 will have on board waypoint processing, doesn't exist in any Fly App platform. That would be via new Firmware that utilized onboard processing & memory which currently doesn't exist on the M3.

But RC Connected Waypoint is still a great feature to gain.

DJI said not anytime soon. Seems it's been taking about a year for them to release SDK

From what has been said else where maybe around this time next year you might see the M3 SDK.
By then, we should have a Mavic 4, or at least a Mavic 3 Pro!
Good things come to those who wait!
In the mean time, the M3 is still the best DJI drone yet, except for the slow Home Point setting on a cold boot, soon to be fixed in a promised FW update.

O
By then, we should have a Mavic 4, or at least a Mavic 3 Pro!
Good things come to those who wait!
In the mean time, the M3 is still the best DJI drone yet, except for the slow Home Point setting on a cold boot, soon to be fixed in a promised FW update.
Mavic 4 may be awhile after the investment into the M3 & M3Cine.
I'd also agree, shoud be seeing more FW updates, Fly App improvements... little more Pro direction in features.

I doubt we'll see a M3Pro... I think that was the direction on the M3Cine, RC Pro Radio, and ProRes..The Cine takes the Pro catagory.
Similar to the Inspire 2, there wasn't a Pro version... but the payloads and unlocked features gave it more Professional use. Same goes for the Matrice platforms other than the M600Pro.

I think there may be new enhancements added to both M3 & M3Cine... maybe a few unique to M3Cine. Similar to Enterprise platforms (M2PAdv) the firmware dictated the Controling app. Would be welcome treat to see a new app offering greater features for the Cine model.... allowing the Cine to use Fly App for one group and a Advanced Cine App.

I think focus now is Mini 3, FPV new ??, Inspire 3, and possibly P5P.
The M4 is on back burner waiting to collect more End User and input desired features.. if there was a M4P, It'd build on the Cine features and would probably cost $1-3k above the M3Cine version..

Last edited:
O

Mavic 4 may be awhile after the investment into the M3 & M3Cine.
I'd also agree, shoud be seeing more FW updates, Fly App improvements... little more Pro direction in features.

I doubt we'll see a M3Pro... I think that was the direction on the M3Cine, RC Pro Radio, and ProRes..The Cine takes the Pro catagory.
Similar to the Inspire 2, there wasn't a Pro version... but the payloads and unlocked features gave it more Professional use. Same goes for the Matrice platforms other than the M600Pro.

I think there may be new enhancements added to both M3 & M3Cine... maybe a few unique to M3Cine. Similar to Enterprise platforms (M2PAdv) the firmware dictated the Controling app. Would be welcome treat to see a new app offering greater features for the Cine model.... allowing the Cine to use Fly App for one group and a Advanced Cine App.

I think focus now is Mini 3, FPV new ??, Inspire 3, and possibly P5P.
The M4 is on back burner waiting to collect more End User and input desired features.. if there was a M4P, It'd build on the Cine features and would probably cost $1-3k above the M3Cine version..
I was being facetious, but your points are well taken. M3 and M3 Cine have already set the bar pretty high. I'm happy to wait for the SDK, just like I did for the January FW updates that finally added Spherical Panos, so I can use the extra flight time for them!

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Very much doubt M3 will have on board waypoint processing, doesn't exist in any Fly App platform. That would be via new Firmware that utilized onboard processing & memory which currently doesn't exist on the M3.

Sounds like you are saying that autonomous waypoint missions will not be possible by any 3rd party software for the M3. I kind of feel that is the direction DJI is being forced to go. I'd buy an M3 in a heartbeat for the enhanced camera and extended flight time, but I need the autonomous waypoint missions to accomplish what I need to do. I thought waiting for the SDK would be the answer but if the basic drone software architecture doesn't support internal storage of waypoints, the SDK won't provide that functionality. Oh well.

Sounds like you are saying that autonomous waypoint missions will not be possible by any 3rd party software for the M3. I kind of feel that is the direction DJI is being forced to go. I'd buy an M3 in a heartbeat for the enhanced camera and extended flight time, but I need the autonomous waypoint missions to accomplish what I need to do. I thought waiting for the SDK would be the answer but if the basic drone software architecture doesn't support internal storage of waypoints, the SDK won't provide that functionality. Oh well.
It is... the SDK will allow waypoint missions and most features we're used to having in Litchi, DroneLink, MapsMadeEasy, etc.

The difference is how it's performed... true autonomous is craft stores and processes the mission... if RC connection is lost it "can" continue to process the mission. If mission not on-board, then if RC connection is lost the mission stops and RTH is triggered.

So same features, but not true autonomous... as others have stated, more programmed "virtual stick" controll by connected app.

So far all the crafts that use the FLY App are limited in same manor. There is a slight chance a Fly App Craft could contain FW and On-Board processing to provide disconnected autonomous missions... but that is slim.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Talking with a DJI moderator on their forum he told me it was a marketing decision. Nothing to do with anybody or government telling them they had to stop suppling it to the consumer drones.
This way they can promote their dji enterprise editions and make more money. If you want\need true autonomous then you will be spending the extra bucks on a dji enterprise drone.

It is... the SDK will allow waypoint missions and most features we're used to having in Litchi, DroneLink, MapsMadeEasy, etc.

The difference is how it's performed... true autonomous is craft stores and processes the mission... if RC connection is lost it "can" continue to process the mission. If mission not on-board, then if RC connection is lost the mission stops and RTH is triggered.

So same features, but not true autonomous... as others have stated, more programmed "virtual stick" controll by connected app.

So far all the crafts that use the FLY App are limited in same manor. There is a slight chance a Fly App Craft could contain FW and On-Board processing to provide disconnected autonomous missions... but that is slim.
I guess I will just have to see how long I can keep my MPP flying. I live and fly mostly in a wooded area and can't go very far past the tree line before my signal cuts out, maybe a hundred yards. Its such a joy being able to program in a mission, set all the waypoints and watch it fly out over the lakes and swamp behind my house, going from waypoint to waypoint, taking video and pictures and hop over roads, weave in and around lakes and come back and land within inches of where it took off. Its an amazing piece of tech. I guess it doesn't follow to spirit of the drone law of constant control and always in visual sight. I don't see how anyone can abide that totally when your range is measured in miles or kilometers. You are not keeping in visual range at a mile away.

Talking with a DJI moderator on their forum he told me it was a marketing decision. Nothing to do with anybody or government telling them they had to stop suppling it to the consumer drones.
This way they can promote their dji enterprise editions and make more money. If you want\need true autonomous then you will be spending the extra bucks on a dji enterprise drone.
You've confirmed exactly what I was assuming... they intend to retain autonomous only on Enterprise, not consumer. It was in the cards when they released Fly App and associated crafts & SDK.

That's concerning in that they've applied that to a professional cinematography craft, Mavic3 Cine... or does that indicate they don't consider it a professional craft? Will they do the same to the Inspire 3 or will it retain the GoApp or possibly new similar featured app (ie: Cine1App) more focused on cinematography and the Enterprise Pilot App for other professional focus?

Personally I find the Pilot app aittle limiting, but so far all crafts receive support through 3rd Party Apps with additional features.

So instead of new amped up M3 version on FLY App, it'll probably end up on the Enterprise side with new payloads.

Another angle I considered, with the improved & increased radio transmission that provides longer range, better penetration, and increased transmission stability & clarity. Is there a "need" for autonomous flight disconnected from radio & app? If the new technology provides improved transmission compared to LightBridge or early version of OcuSync the concern / need for onboard autonomous processing for the majority of missions is probably no longer a concern. The disconnected autonomous processing became very popular on LIghtBridge2 and A3 systems due to the connectivity issues. With the greater range and BVLOS concerns, removing autonomous long range capabilities from consumer drones may have been a precautionary market move... possibly a Legal CYA for DJI.

If range is exponentially better, SDK providing all the tools & features while connected may be sufficient for the majority. Those needing onboard autonomous processing, a solution is available at a higher cost and similar platform

I guess I will just have to see how long I can keep my MPP flying. I live and fly mostly in a wooded area and can't go very far past the tree line before my signal cuts out, maybe a hundred yards. Its such a joy being able to program in a mission, set all the waypoints and watch it fly out over the lakes and swamp behind my house, going from waypoint to waypoint, taking video and pictures and hop over roads, weave in and around lakes and come back and land within inches of where it took off. Its an amazing piece of tech. I guess it doesn't follow to spirit of the drone law of constant control and always in visual sight. I don't see how anyone can abide that totally when your range is measured in miles or kilometers. You are not keeping in visual range at a mile away.
I understand your point fully! You can move up to M2P and M2Z and continue the same missions. Actually may start seeing those at nice prices IF the M3 becomes popular.

Or... have you tried a Air2S or M3 on range beyond trees? You may find they're able to maintain connection better then the MPP.

I'm with ya... I have no plans to get rid of any Go4 or Go3 App platforms. They now have capabilities the new crafts lack!

You've confirmed exactly what I was assuming... they intend to retain autonomous only on Enterprise, not consumer. It was in the cards when they released Fly App and associated crafts & SDK.

That's concerning in that they've applied that to a professional cinematography craft, Mavic3 Cine... or does that indicate they don't consider it a professional craft? Will they do the same to the Inspire 3 or will it retain the GoApp or possibly new similar featured app (ie: Cine1App) more focused on cinematography and the Enterprise Pilot App for other professional focus?

Personally I find the Pilot app aittle limiting, but so far all crafts receive support through 3rd Party Apps with additional features.

So instead of new amped up M3 version on FLY App, it'll probably end up on the Enterprise side with new payloads.

Another angle I considered, with the improved & increased radio transmission that provides longer range, better penetration, and increased transmission stability & clarity. Is there a "need" for autonomous flight disconnected from radio & app? If the new technology provides improved transmission compared to LightBridge or early version of OcuSync the concern / need for onboard autonomous processing for the majority of missions is probably no longer a concern. The disconnected autonomous processing became very popular on LIghtBridge2 and A3 systems due to the connectivity issues. With the greater range and BVLOS concerns, removing autonomous long range capabilities from consumer drones may have been a precautionary market move... possibly a Legal CYA for DJI.

If range is exponentially better, SDK providing all the tools & features while connected may be sufficient for the majority. Those needing onboard autonomous processing, a solution is available at a higher cost and similar platform
You my not need fully autonomous flying if the 4G LTE dongle for the M3 becomes available in the U.S.. It will switch to cellular data for the control signal where LOS obstructs the control signal.
That's even better, because you will have full live gimbal control throughout the autonomous flight, including exposure compensation, as needed!

The annoying this is that the dates, and possibly the roadmap has changed.

"The MSDK is gradually prioritising to the enterprise level aircraft, the priority level of product from high to low is enterprise level aircraft > consumer level aircraft > hanheld product. There is no plan to support Mini 3 Pro in 2022. There is no plan to support Mavic 3 consumer level series in 2022."

In the latest Chinese text, the Mavic 3 has been removed. https://sdk-forum.dji.net/hc/zh-cn/articles/5976502476441-第一章-初识MSDK-V5 In the comments of the article: "The information is notified by the R&D meeting, but it may be delayed."

It's a real shame on this. I'm not thrilled by this news....

This seems to be dreadful news. How can they sell such a high-end drone as the Mavic 3 which is aimed in part for professional cinematography and then deprioritize the SDK? Can I assume that waypoint missions cannot be created from some subset of the SDK that might be released, or it is all or nothing?

Last edited:
As a developer myself, it would be all or nothing in this instance. They would be working on a firmware dev tree with those features, and would roll them out to each device when complete.

yes, sad news ... I was hoping for something in the next months
Yeah, same. I'm happy if it's delayed, just not cancelled. 😊

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa