DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good starter drone for teenager around $300? Decision made!

parkgt

Reactions
Have a family member that wants to buy a teenage son a drone in the $300 range.

What are some good choices?

Thanks,

They decided to spring for a Mavic Mine Fly More combo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skyflyer129

Thanks,
I have a Phantom 3 Standard with accessories that was my first. takes 12mp pics. 2.7k video has good range for the Wifi it uses. I'd let it go for the $300. can PM me for pics and questions if interested

Reactions: Mrmund
Put $100 more and get the Mavic mini. But the Phantom offer is a really good one.

Reactions: Mrmund

Thanks,

Either try to get the mini or buy a used phantom 3 advanced (standard only uses WiFi, advanced uses litebridge)

If they actively pursue photography I would consider a DJI, but if they just want to fly around you can get a base FPV set for about $300. Way more fun... ?

RTKD i can not deny that is fun, but as a gift for a teenager flying like that will last only few minutes and then the gift is gone. Teenagers do not have $$ usually and will be a problem for parents fixing that.

I guess the Mavic or spark will be more durable depending on the flying behavior. If they behave it can last very long.

Reactions: Skywalker
Best chance is to get something second hand. We highly recommend DJI because they are so easy to fly (very steady, and obstacle avoidance depending on model). So checking the forums for a good deal (like the Phantom from @TruGreen )

New, we'd recommend the Mavic Mini - but it starts at $399 for regular package and $499 for the fly more kit (extra batteries, propeller guards).

could even go cheap and pick up a Tello from Best buy. its a fun little flyer but at $100usd you get what you expect. but it is good quality and flys close to the bigger drones in terms of steady

Hubsan Zino. I don't have a Zino but I have another Hubsan drone and haven't had any issues with it. The Zino has some good features...

Hubsan Zino Review

As mentioned in the review there is no obstacle avoidance so if that's important you're probably going to have to go with a Spark.

Last edited by a moderator:
@zeusfl Truth is, that Tinyhawk I'm flying in the video is basically indestructible under its own weight. If you stomp on it, or fly it into the sink then you're hosed, but otherwise it's a tank. Plus it's so light weight that you can fly it into yourself without injury (built in prop guards)

New batteries are about $6, props are $1.50 a set, and the whole thing is modular. Break a motor? It's rare, but they're $12. Four screws, plug the new motor in and fly away.

They're built to be flown hard and fixed by kids. Just sayen :)

I just research about the Tinyhauk 2S and is really good, the construction is pretty bulletproof base in the comments and reviews. I will give the shot buying one for me.

Reactions: RTKD
I just research about the Tinyhauk 2S and is really good, the construction is pretty bulletproof base in the comments and reviews. I will give the shot buying one for me.

The 2s version is great, but it isn't quite as bulletproof as the 1s version. With 2s speeds you're more likely to crack the body, and the extra voltage is hard on the ESC board. Plus 1s batteries are super cheap and easy to charge in series, once you move to 2s you need a real battery charger.

If you've never flown FPV, I would highly recommend that you stick with the original 1s, and when you step up to 2s or 3s you'll get a toothpick class rig for outdoors (like this Larva X I just got)

20191202_143655-jpg.3730

By the way, the Tinyhawk and this Larva X are both under $100. The other $200 would be for a radio and FPV goggles

If your family member wants to buy a DJI drone, my recommendation would be the Spark. It's less fragile than the Mavic Mini.

Guys thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately their limit is $300 for a new drone which precludes many of the better choices. We all started somewhere.

Guys thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately their limit is $300 for a new drone which precludes many of the better choices. We all started somewhere.
Unfortunately that’s a tough price range for a quality drone. The Mavic Mini starts at $400 and that’s the lowest priced quality drone I can think of. You could pick up a used drone for less than that I’m sure but there’s always a lot of risk involved in that.

Unfortunately that’s a tough price range for a quality drone. The Mavic Mini starts at $400 and that’s the lowest priced quality drone I can think of. You could pick up a used drone for less than that I’m sure but there’s always a lot of risk involved in that.

Finally talked them up in price and they decided to go with a Mavic Mini Fly More package. I know a 15 year old boy that is going to be thrilled on Christmas day!

Thanks again for the help, case closed.

Finally talked them up in price and they decided to go with a Mavic Mini Fly More package. I know a 15 year old boy that is going to be thrilled on Christmas day!

Thanks again for the help, case closed.
Excellent choice. With the prop cage, it would take some punishment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute