DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Google Maps Immersive View look like drone videos

wco81

Reactions
I was looking at some places in Google Maps and when I moused over some famous buildings, it played a video which looked like a drone video orbiting around the building from above, showing all the surrounding areas as well as the building.

I believe this is called their Immersive View, which they introduced earlier this year.

Except these aren't drone videos, these are 3D visualizations, using all the various Street View and other photos to construct 3D models, using AI. So these fly-by or orbiting videos look like they're from a drone but are entirely computer-generated.

They look like Master Shots videos.

For a second, I thought it was maybe new type of Street View where they actually flew a drone around these landmarks but they're all CGI.

But you can only play them back. Google said that they'd be interactive, so you could control the flight path over these 3D renderings. That is not the case, at least on an iOS device. Maybe it's different on Android.

I guess these videos could be useful for planning possible drone flights, give you a good idea of what the environment looks like, though in most of these cases, they seem to be famous landmarks in city centers, where drones wouldn't be allowed.

So they have things like the Big Ben and the Golden Gate Bridge.

So does msfs2020. And you can go wherever you want to in live time with live weather using google maps' combined data like you say.

Google Earth and Google Earth Pro also have that capability under programmable control.

I like to use clips from google maps or google earth to integrate into a video so the viewer is aware of the location so I do not need to describe where the video was taken.

I did a bit of photogrammetry using my drone, and then did a flythrough of the 3d textured model. It was uncannily similar to footage from a drone. If you're a bad pilot you could pull of some stunning moves this way, without crashing 🤣

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N