DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Google Maps lost on latest FW?

Drone Master

Rest In Peace, Fellow Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Is it me or has DJI officially removed google maps from the latest app and firmware?

It's been a couple of weeks now, even on their GO 3 version

It's been a couple of weeks now, even on their GO 3 version
I should have figured. I'm going to miss it on some of my platforms.
Still working on original app and older aircraft . I probably won't update firmware on those anymore unless significant .

Last edited:
The strange thing is I've twice seen google maps briefly re-appear.
Somewhere inside it is still trying to use google until the Here map over-rides it - usually with a completely green screen here, as it doesn't even show minor roads.
I'm also noting no caching of maps at all unless you open the maps during the same session with the app.

The last app to use Google Maps was v3.0.1 form then on they have used Here Maps. Personally I think the maps are now awful!!! You cannot zoom in to a decent level anymore which is really bad if you want to see an accurate position of your home point etc. Not to mention that the Map no longer follows the drone around, the drone simply flies off the screen lol.

I would urge people to leave negative reviews on the Play and App stores and log calls with DJI support asking for Google Maps to be brought back. Think that is the only way anything will happen here.

Well I know that iOS use apple maps, what does android use ?

Apologies, yes you are correct the maps are different between iOS and droid. I had not had mine on for a while as mine is at the docs. Android defo uses Here Maps. However try to zoom in on the map on your iOS device, it simply will not and just springs back also afaik the map still does not follow the drone around which is also bad but as said cannot confirm this until mine gets back so they may have issued a fix.

Satellite view on HERE is about 5 years old. Unacceptable. All you "instrument" flyers should be careful you don't run into a building. :)

I suspect there must be some kind of licencing dispute behind scenes where google are wanting higher fee for the copyright.
It seems nit-picking when google maps can be download free and are included with Android at least.

Reactions: lifeismusic
I don't get the problem (must be me?).
When I need a better map view, I just swap out the main screen as needed with a single tap. Then, with the map as main view, you can unrestricted zoom in and out at hearts content.
On short flights I don't really use this, but very helpful and easy to flip on longer distances.
Works fine for me.

Luckily Litchi is still using them. I do notice that you still have satellite view with in the flight records of Go. It's rather odd that it isn't there to use during a mission. I just like the idea of using that view for accuracy of landmarks and such. Perhaps I'm just spoiled. Lol!:rolleyes:

Due to the Here maps issue of the map not following the aircraft, I'm still using DJI Go 3.0.1... I'm using it on my Samsung Galaxy S7. No problems using DJI Go 3.0.1 with Google Maps on the latest firmware.

I don't get the problem (must be me?).
When I need a better map view, I just swap out the main screen as needed with a single tap. Then, with the map as main view, you can unrestricted zoom in and out at hearts content.
On short flights I don't really use this, but very helpful and easy to flip on longer distances.
Works fine for me.
I am pretty sure that is what everyone does this but just try to zoom in. You cannot really, you basically cannot see enough detail to get an accurate position on your home point imho. On droid it simply does not go down to the level it used to and iOS it zooms in then springs back out when you release your fingers. My guess here is that as they are using Here Maps which may not have the same detail level on droid what they have done is restricted the zoom in iOS to make it consistent (as iOS does zoom in but then springs back out)

I am pretty sure that is what everyone does this but just try to zoom in. You cannot really, you basically cannot see enough detail to get an accurate position on your home point imho. On droid it simply does not go down to the level it used to and iOS it zooms in then springs back out when you release your fingers. My guess here is that as they are using Here Maps which may not have the same detail level on droid what they have done is restricted the zoom in iOS to make it consistent (as iOS does zoom in but then springs back out)
FWIW: I am in iOS (iPhone 6) and use the DJI GO 4 app. I can pinch-zoom in and out as much as I want and it stays (does not spring back). From my whole town and more down to just my house, if I want to, and everything in between.

FWIW: I am in iOS (iPhone 6) and use the DJI GO 4 app. I can pinch-zoom in and out as much as I want and it stays (does not spring back). From my whole town and more down to just my house, if I want to, and everything in between.
Weird as on mine (6s) it does with v4 and v3.1.0 yet Litchi is fine. Running the latest iOS, nothing else on the phone but those 3 apps. The only thing I have not done is connect it all up to the Mavic itself, will be back next week from the doctors so will see if that makes a difference or not.

Reactions: Frits
Weird as on mine (6s) it does with v4 and v3.1.0 yet Litchi is fine. Running the latest iOS, nothing else on the phone but those 3 apps. The only thing I have not done is connect it all up to the Mavic itself, will be back next week from the doctors so will see if that makes a difference or not.
The plot thickens :) : Just for fun I tried with my iPad Mini (V2) - here it springs back when I zoom in. Back again to my iPhone 6: I can zoom in and out as much as I want and it stays put (love it!).

Reactions: chippie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000