DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got a new iPad Air, M1 chip...still get screen stutter

Hertzdonut

Reactions
Well, if any mobile processor should handle DJI Fly, you would think a brand new iPad Air with the latest M1 chip could.

You would think, and would be wrong.

Previously, my MA2 was connected to a "regular" 7th gen iPad, with the A10 chip. I would get screen stutter when recording video, and thanks to other's suggestions on this forum, I turned off video caching, sync'ing HD photos, and one other tick box (the name of the setting eludes me at the moment).

I could then capture video with virtually no stutter. Once I got this new M1 iPad, I turned those three items back on, and did a video recording test flight...and the stutter returned.

To be clear, it's not a constant stutter, the screen "jumps" about every 10 - 20 seconds, especially if I have my MA2 in full forward stick (I run Normal mode almost all the time)

fyi, storage-wise on the new iPad: I'm only using 14GB out of 256GB

I guess I will go back in and turn those settings back to Off.

Oh well. At least the screen is quite a bit brighter, and I really like that.

- Jeff

Okay stupid question I know, but you don't record to an SD card in the drone? Or if you do, do you still get the stutter? I am glad to hear the screen is brighter, because I'm thinking about upgrading my Ipad Air 2 to the 4 or 5, but I was leaning toward the 4 because from what I've seen on YouTube land there isn't a big real world performance difference between the A15 and the M1. The biggest difference I've seen is the USB transfer speed is doubled on the Air 5. Thanks for the info.

Okay stupid question I know, but you don't record to an SD card in the drone? Or if you do, do you still get the stutter? I am glad to hear the screen is brighter, because I'm thinking about upgrading my Ipad Air 2 to the 4 or 5, but I was leaning toward the 4 because from what I've seen on YouTube land there isn't a big real world performance difference between the A15 and the M1. The biggest difference I've seen is the USB transfer speed is doubled on the Air 5. Thanks for the info.
I record only to the SD card.

The good news is I don’t seem to be experiencing the stutter anymore. As always (for me) I have updated the Fly app regularly, and installed firmware updates as they become available. Maybe an update solved my issue? Don’t know, just glad it’s now a non-issue!

Reactions: dmiles119
I record only to the SD card.

The good news is I don’t seem to be experiencing the stutter anymore. As always (for me) I have updated the Fly app regularly, and installed firmware updates as they become available. Maybe an update solved my issue? Don’t know, just glad it’s now a non-issue!
Glad to hear it, and thanks again for the info. Going to meet a person selling a 2021 Ipad Pro 128 Gig with cellular today for $500 cash. It looks pristine, and he seems real, but we'll see. Hopefully it will pan out, and I may be looking for any tips you have discovered along the way with yours.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman