DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gotten insurance with State Farm? If so please read!

$72 for one year for MP with $3000 for my nikon dslr.

Has anyone had to file a claim yet with SF??

I called USAA who I have my Auto and renters and they don't do a specific policy for drones and told me my renters policy would cover it same as my other property. But that was only for theft, fire and other stuff. So I have been emailing a few State Farm agents and am about to get the $60 policy for both of mine. I tell you though there are a ton of clueless State Farm agents when it comes to this. Maybe it's the newness of drones but some of the answers I have gotten are down right crazy!
I had a rider put on my USAA policy, I will see what they classified it as and shoot you a pm.

Good luck with that! The I called them they said it was only covered if stolen, fire and water damage. They would not cover crashes or fly aways. But maybe it's like all other places and their answers are like the flavor of the day.....

For many people it's hard to find an agent that is familiar with insuring drones in their state. Many agents won't do it or will do it but with a large deductible or other catch. I made a quick form to submit the contact info of agents who wrote a drone policy so that others can find agents easily.

The form is 8 very quick questions that should take less than a minute of your time while helping others save a ton of time with trying to find an agent. My goal for this is to have every state covered.

Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/ ... L374jsmZnw/viewform

Results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsh ... edit#gid=1180163488

For those that don't know about insurance through State Farm, you can get your drone insured through their PAP (Personal Articles Policy) for $60 a year and no deductible. It will cover both lost / stolen as well as accidental damage (crash). Unlike refresh it does not require you to have the drone to make a claim, can be renewed each year, covers accessories, has no 48 hour limit, and you get a brand new drone (no repairs or refurbished).
The only problem is that each agent and underwriter has their own discretion, so many people need to all around before finding one that will write the policy.
Tons of great info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/drones/ ... rm_insurance_guide/
Has ANYONE had a successful claim from State Farm?!?!

Reactions: Kman21
I have a buddy here in MD that crashed his Go Pro drone this weekend. A simple phone call to State Farm on Monday and the check is being sent out.

I have a buddy here in MD that crashed his Go Pro drone this weekend. A simple phone call to State Farm on Monday and the check is being sent out.

Another question would be... Will they insure you again after filing a claim. Or if they do, will the premium skyrocket.

For the ones who actually got the PAP coverage from State Farm. What all did you have to prove to them. Photos documents?

For the ones who actually got the PAP coverage from State Farm. What all did you have to prove to them. Photos documents?

Are you meaning to start a claim? Or to get the insurance?

I had to take a picture of the serial number on the Mavic box and show receipt from purchase. Then I had to itemize the cost of everything included in the Mavic Pro Fly More deal. I just went to Amazon.com and put all of the items in a cart as if I was buying them. Then I sent my claim lady the picture of it.

Last edited:
Another question would be... Will they insure you again after filing a claim. Or if they do, will the premium skyrocket.

They will usually cancel the policy once the limit is paid on that certain item and/or they issue payment for a total loss (really the same thing). At that time the services agreed to have been satisfied (premium paid for $xxxx of coverage). It's _possible_ that the person may be able to get the coverage again for a new Mavic but it's questionable. They may choose not to issue another policy based on the prior claim.

Reactions: bertram33
They will usually cancel the policy once the limit is paid on that certain item and/or they issue payment for a total loss (really the same thing). At that time the services agreed to have been satisfied (premium paid for $xxxx of coverage). It's _possible_ that the person may be able to get the coverage again for a new Mavic but it's questionable. They may choose not to issue another policy based on the prior claim.

And what sort of proof do you have to make this statement? Have you had it happen to you?

And what sort of proof do you have to make this statement? Have you had it happen to you?

Another poster stated he filed a claim for $100 for repairs and then filed a claim for a total loss. After the total loss claim, SF cancelled the policy.

I've worked for property/casualty carriers for about 25 years. Once the policy limits is paid, the carrier has every right to cancel that coverage. If they have already collected the premium for that amount and paid the limits, there is no reason to continue to offer to pay for no additional premium. It's standard practice to end that coverage. Where you see this happen more frequently is with 1st party coverage on a vehicle (comprehensive and collision coverage). If the carrier pays for the vehicle as a total loss they should no longer offer that coverage on that vehicle. They would simply be offering to pay more for no additional premium when the choice is not to pay more.

Coverage available in Illinois for a minimum premium of $60.00 per year for $3000.00 in coverage. So you can cover your Mavic plus $2000.00 worth of other stuff. Only restriction is the drone cannot be used for business.

Last edited:
A few years ago I had State Farms PAP covering my camera stuff. My camera was stolen during a flight from Seattle to Anchorage (they caught a dude stealing from carry-one bags a few months later). Any-hoot, I called State Farm and they found a replacement in two hours, no questions asked. Great service.

I found out later that they will cancel the policy after they the 2nd claim if the two claims occur in a 3 year period.

My Mavic is covered by State Farm and it really takes the stress out of flying.

kevin

Reactions: Wersh
I used to have State Farm for all my insurance until I found a cheaper company but my former agent has been trying to win back my business. (Maybe if they had worked this hard WHILE I was their customer I wouldn't have left in the first place) Anyways I went back and got my Mavic Insured for $60 with no deductible. The funny thing is the agent is also a Phantom owner and even he didn't know that they could insure drones!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123