DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gps problems and how to boost

lebaneso

Reactions
Hello everyone im a professional mavic 2 pro pilot living in lebanon and making a living from drone operating however lately the russian army has been jamming the signal in lebanon every night so i cant get any gps while taking videos of events
My birds goes to atti mode and rarely sees any gps signal ?
Do u know a way to resolve this matter and would switching to fcc booster from nolimitdronez have any effect on my problem ?

Well, an FCC boost would not help with GPS issues. Different frequencies involved.

If the Russians are jamming GPS then there is nothing you can do to overcome this. Why is Lebanon letting Russia jam GPS in your country?

Reactions: GFields
I dont know but it s 9 pm now here and i have 0 gps signal in the morning i could see 15 gps can it be my drone has issues im seriously lost now

I dont know but it s 9 pm now here and i have 0 gps signal in the morning i could see 15 gps can it be my drone has issues im seriously lost now
If the GPS was bad on the aircraft you would see problems all the time. Do you have the same GPS issues with your smartphone or vehicle navigation system?

What is there to suggest that it's being done by Russia? And how would they interrupt signals from the GPS systems of other countries?

I dont know the gps seems to be working on google maps and russia is jamming lebanese airspace from syria thats what several guys who have drones told me

GPS signals originate from satellites constantly moving around the globe. Their availability to a drone varies continuously. The drone automatically switches from one satellite to another as the signal strength strengthens and weakens. There are 3 separate GPS systems available for the drone to pick from. To jam the signals from 3 separate systems is quite difficult.

The biggest problem with any of these systems is the sky angle made between the drone and the satellite. Satellites close to the horizon are much weaker than those higher up. In addition, the signals are line of sight. Any obstruction blocks the signals - trees, buildings, etc.

To solve the problem will require understanding the complete geometry of the failing conditions before assuming Russian jamming, which can actually be measured using radio frequency instrument measurement during periods of problems.

If the GPS signals are jammed, there is nothing you can do.
The north-eastern part of Norway shares border with Russia, close to one of their largest naval bases.
From time to time the GPS signals in this part of Norway are jammed, this can be dangerous as it affects the commercial air traffic in this area. The pilots lose GPS for navigation. This can last from some minutes to a few hours. This is of course done by Russia, probably doing som testing of the jamming systems.

Well, "jamming" as the term is used here, describes when the GPS receiver is "over-saturated" by a covert signal that matches what the GPS receiver normally expects, confusing the GPS data stream.

Dear friends i did not assume anything it is what ive been told by several sources some of them are from the military
Yesterday i tried flying during rhe day and everything worked fine i was getting 15 sat and the drone was flying well .
Now what i need u to help me conclude is the following is the problem coming from my drone or not ?
Is there a way to boost the signal when there is jamming?

Dear friends i did not assume anything it is what ive been told by several sources some of them are from the military
Yesterday i tried flying during rhe day and everything worked fine i was getting 15 sat and the drone was flying well .
Now what i need u to help me conclude is the following is the problem coming from my drone or not ?
Is there a way to boost the signal when there is jamming?
As @Pallidin described jamming of GPS is actually electronic overpowering of the signals coming from the satellites. There is no way to filter out the jamming signal and let the signal from the satellites get through to your aircraft.

The best way to tell if it is jamming or a problem with your drone is to try other GPS devices and see if they are also affected. If they are then GPS is being jammed and your government will need to address the issue.

Reactions: GFields
Years ago I cut-my-teeth on non-GPS drones.
Rather satisfying, actually.

Now I've come to rely on the GPS enabled pseudo-failsafe RTH. After all, it is fantastic!

- Battery getting low, the drone returns home!
- Signal loss after so many seconds... the drone returns home autonomously or until reacquring signal.

Of course, one can bypass all that. Not recommended.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada