DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS question

Let me try this, it makes no difference if the phone has a GPS or doesn't. same goes for the tablet the system will operate the same with or without.
I thought I'd already confirmed for you.
It makes no difference.
The drone's GPS is the only one that's used for flight functions.
The location for the controller isn't important at all.
The drone records its home point with its GPS receiver.
It transmits its location data back to the app constantly and it gets plotted relative to the homepoint.

Ignore any suggestions that a GPS equipped tablet is essential.
That's misinformation

Last edited:
I thought I'd already confirmed for you.
It makes no difference.
The drone's GPS is the only one that's used for flight functions.
The location for the controller isn't important at all.
The drone records its home point with its GPS receiver.
It transmits its location data back to the app constantly and it gets plotted relative to the homepoint.

Ignore any suggestions that a GPS equipped tablet is essential.
That's misinformation
I am done good bye oman

Let me try this, it makes no difference if the phone has a GPS or doesn't.
With regards to flying the drone that is correct. The drone has its own GPS reciever and the drone uses that to determine where it is and where the set homepoint is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am making this second part of my answer as a separate post to try to 'separate out' what the App uses the phone or tablet's GPS for.

The phone or tablet's GPS is used to by the App to determine the position of the controller and ONLY the controller. It is perfectly acceptable to use a phone or tablet that has no GPS facility. I often fly with "location-services" switched off on my phone and, if it does not actually switch GPS off it amounts to the same thing,

The consequence is that the App does not know where the phone or tablet is, and thus the App does NOT KNOW where the controller is.
This has no affect on the drone. The drone knows where it is and it knows where the original homepoint is.

However if you no GPS in the phone or tablet and you want to change the position of the homepoint then you CAN NOT use the "reset the homepoint to where the controller is" option.
You would have to set the new homepoint to either where the drone is or pick a point on the map that is displayed in the App, the latter assumes that you had a map of the flying area down loaded to the phone or tablet.
The problem with picking a new home point on the map is that it is not very accurate. I have only tried this once and the inaccuracy in picking the homepoint was maybe 20ft.

The only use for gps on a phone/tablet is to update the map to show where rc iand drone are located. If there is a map covering the area already available from a previous flight or preloaded, it will still work using the drone location info.

The only use for gps on a phone/tablet is to update the map to show where rc iand drone are located. If there is a map covering the area already available from a previous flight or preloaded, it will still work using the drone location info.
Sorry, but that's not correct.

There are a lot of confused ideas coming through in this thread, further confusing the OP.
Whether the phone or tablet has GPS makes no difference to the ability to show a map.
Maps don't come from a GPS receiver, that only provides location data.
Maps come from internet data.
The app shows mapping for the area surrounding the homepoint, even without a GPS enabled phone or tablet.
And even without GPS in the tablet, it will still show the homepoint recorded by the drone on the map.

This thread has gone for 28 posts, and seems to have confused the OP more than when he started.
The answers to his question and all he needs to know was covered in post #6.

Let me try this, it makes no difference if the phone has a GPS or doesn't. same goes for the tablet the system will operate the same with or without.I just don't understand I wish I never bought the tablet.and wish I never got involved with this. I have got so many answers I am totally confused .
Thank you very much. Doug
Unfortunately, I think not everyone who is responding to you and your original question is not reading your question carefully. You very specifically mention that the tablet you are using does NOT have a GPS chip and that you want to be able to redirect the home point to the location of the controller (which is connected to the tablet) instead of your take-off point. Unfortunately, you would need GPS on your Tablet to do this since the controller does not have a GPS chip either. GPS is not required to fly the drone, or have it return to its original take off point, but to reset the home point to the controller location (which is connected to your tablet), then the tablet needs to have built in GPS capability.

I am constantly amazed by the amount of incredible knowledge presented by some members of this forum.
Unfortunately with so many, it seems to go in one ear and out the other. The number of Drone disaster posts that actually turn out to be pilot error is a never ending story.

I don't have the brains or education that some of the Drone Wizards on here have, but it seems to me that most of the mishaps could have been avoided if people would simply just read the Manual.

Reactions: Tufargon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird