DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Signal on iPad Not Being Recognized?

Ray&Paula

Reactions
I recently purchased the new iPad 9.7 with cellular to use with my MA. I want to use the Return to Remote location as it's HP. I'm receiving the following popup in the DJI Go 4 app; "Mobile device GPS signal is weak, it's location cannot be acquired." I'm out in a field away from any type of interferences such as metal, concrete, towns, etc. I have 16 satellites w/ wifi at 2.4. If anybody has any suggestions to correct this problem, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks, Ray

Last edited:
I recently purchased the new iPad 9.7 with cellular to use with my MA. I want to use the Return to Remote location as it's HP. I'm receiving the following popup in the DJI Go 4 app; "Mobile device GPS signal is weak, it's location cannot be acquired." I'm out in a field away from any type of interferences such as metal, concrete, towns, etc. I have 16 satellites w/ wifi at 2.4. If anybody has any suggestions to correct this problem, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks, Ray

Might be related, I had the same issue with a Mavic Pro, using a Nexus 7 tablet, I could lock sats ok (checked with an app) but when i load the go 4 app all sats stopped being detected,

Download an app on your ipad that shows connected satellites, its nothing to do with the GPS in the quad, and see what it shows, you could have a faulty IOS devices or an issue with the app itself

Might be related, I had the same issue with a Mavic Pro, using a Nexus 7 tablet, I could lock sats ok (checked with an app) but when i load the go 4 app all sats stopped being detected,

Download an app on your ipad that shows connected satellites, its nothing to do with the GPS in the quad, and see what it shows, you could have a faulty IOS devices or an issue with the app itself
Thanks for the reply...... I have 16 satellites showing in the DJI Go 4 app. Thanks again, Ray

The 16 satellites Go reports are those seen by the drone, not what your iPad is seeing. There are a lot complaining of your issue

Reactions: Kilrah
The 16 satellites Go reports are those seen by the drone, not what your iPad is seeing. There are a lot complaining of your issue
That makes sense...... I certainly don't understand what the problem could be. Hopefully, someone here has come up with a resolution. Having the GPS capability is the main reason I bought this new iPad. I normally use my iPad Air 2 without cellular. I definitely won't be taking the MA out on the boat until this gets resolved. Thanks again for your input. Ray

That makes sense...... I certainly don't understand what the problem could be. Hopefully, someone here has come up with a resolution. Having the GPS capability is the main reason I bought this new iPad. I normally use my iPad Air 2 without cellular. I definitely won't be taking the MA out on the boat until this gets resolved. Thanks again for your input. Ray
Probably a good idea!

What is your iPad accuracy? Have you tested it already?
I downloaded the following app (Link Below) called UAV Forecast to the iPad. With nothing connected, it shows 14 visible satellites with 13.4 locked. To my understanding, a data plan "is not" needed for using a GPS device for the DJI Go 4 app therefore, I simply can't understand what the hiccup could be. Maybe it's a setting I'm missing somewhere either on the iPad and/or DJI Go 4...........
‎UAV Forecast on the App Store

To my understanding, a data plan "is not" needed for using a GPS device for the DJI Go 4 app
Yes, that is correct.

The root cause is within the iPad. How does the iPad GPS receiver 'sees' the satellites.
No matter what external apps reporting (such as UAV forecast) or what the drone sees (i.e. number of GPS sats) the iPad must have an accuracy of less than 10m that the dynamic homepoint function works.

Try the app i linked in thread #3:
While the app is active, you'll see your current location and your accuracy.

Look at the screenshots below:

Bad.jpg good.jpg

Reactions: Exphantomflyer
Yes, that is correct.

The root cause is within the iPad. How does the iPad GPS receiver 'sees' the satellites.

I will download the app but, if it shows more than 10m........ What's the solution? Is there one? I just went out and tried it again and I was able to set Return to remote approx. one out of ten times. I tried disconnecting/reconnecting, switching off/on, Unplugging/replugging, etc. Right now it's very sporadic. I'll download the app and report back. Thanks for taking the time in helping me out. Ray

What's the solution? Is there one?
In my experience, there are two:

1) You can get another, external GPS receiver, such as Garmin GLO, connect via Bluetooth to your iPad.
With this setup, you receive an accuracy always better than 5m.
2) Use Autopilot to fly your drone. No worries, you must not setup waypoints or other tricky stuff.
There is a flight mode called 'Black Box' in which you can fly your drone as usual with the sticks.
(There is a different UI, but you get used to it.)

But here it comes: Autopilot has an option called 'moving operator'. Prior launch, you have to select a 'stationary operator' or 'moving operator'. When the Moving Operator option is selected, Autopilot updates automatically every second the position of the iPad via the remote control to the drone. That means, every second the aircraft has new RTH coordinates.
So, the pilot must not press any button now and then (such as in GO4), just fly. In case RTH is triggered, the aircraft returns to the 'moving' remote control.

That feature is very useful on a boat ... ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada