DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS this morning..

smfry60

Reactions
Anyone else having problems with GPS this morning. Started with Mavic 3 this morning. GPS would get 15-18 satellite connections and then fall to 5, then 12 and lose to 4.. brought it down then put my Air 2 up and it stayed locked longer but was moving between 18 and 9 but stayed white.. wondering if solar flare might have something to do with it..

Solar flare activity doesn't cause problems like that.
The Mavic 3 has GPS problems regardless of solar activity.
If you would have completely read the post I had the same problem with 2 drones. I wasnt expecting any problem with the Air 2 but they were there too.. and maybe read a little more about flair activity.. it messes with a lot of things..

We're you having any problems this morning?
Not flying - and the page I linked shows no unusual activity that would hamper the GPS or GLONASS systems.

going to check now ,
We're you having any problems this morning?
Today was 1 minute for 12 sats Home Point recorded on the 12 th that was an improvement from the first flight which was near 4 minutes and 80 ft to record the home point.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. , Land on the Water.

Today same place same problem even Air 2 kept losing satellite.. maybe extreme cold. New radio frequency in area? Has me stumped.. time will tell on temp.

GPS itself is not bothered by temperature extremes, and rf interference is uncommon.

Common causes are from occluded view of the 180 degree sky, and various satellite positions. Buildings, trees, mountains etc all block totally the GPS signal through them. The GPS satellites are constantly shifting positions, and the drone shifts the sets used for navigation in real time during the flight.

GPS itself is not bothered by temperature extremes, and rf interference is uncommon.

Common causes are from occluded view of the 180 degree sky, and various satellite positions. Buildings, trees, mountains etc all block totally the GPS signal through them. The GPS satellites are constantly shifting positions, and the drone shifts the sets used for navigation in real time during the flight.
I understand that.. I'm in the same place I fly daily. Just this week something changed.. I updated the Mav 3 but not the Air 2. So it's gotta be something in the area that changed..

I understand that.. I'm in the same place I fly daily. Just this week something changed.. I updated the Mav 3 but not the Air 2. So it's gotta be something in the area that changed..
Post #9 was explaining that things in your local environment are unlikely to make any difference.

Post #9 was explaining that things in your local environment are unlikely to make any difference.
I know Mav 3 has issues with GPS.. I also know that whatever is causing this also effects my Air 2 and my mini 2..
Same problem same area. No problems 8 miles east at another of my areas I like to fly.. with any of them..

Anyone else having problems with GPS this morning. Started with Mavic 3 this morning. GPS would get 15-18 satellite connections and then fall to 5, then 12 and lose to 4.. brought it down then put my Air 2 up and it stayed locked longer but was moving between 18 and 9 but stayed white.. wondering if solar flare might have something to do with it..
If our Czar friend Putin wants to attack a foreign country, disabling GPS signals would be a good start. Hope this doesn't give him any ideas in case he hasn't thought of this. 😨

If our Czar friend Putin wants to attack a foreign country, disabling GPS signals would be a good start. Hope this doesn't give him any ideas in case he hasn't thought of this. 😨
Russia has their own satellite navigation system.
Google Glonass

Russia has their own satellite navigation system.
Google Glonass
I believe that DJI drones (like many consumer and commercial GPS units from Garmin and others) use Glonass as well as GPS.

When GPS was first adopted, its accuracy was deliberately degraded for civilian use, so foreign military couldn’t use our assets against us. only military grade GPS units could access the higher grade signal - look up “selective availability.” I don’t think the fear is now that Russians or others would use our GPS against us, but that they’d either attack the satellites or locally/regionally jam the signal.

I believe that DJI drones (like many consumer and commercial GPS units from Garmin and others) use Glonass as well as GPS.
It depends on the drone. For example the mavic air 2 uses GPS and Glonass, the Air 2S and Mini 2 uses GPS + Glonass but also Gallileo satellites, the new Mavic 3 uses GPS + Galileo + BeiDou, so it works better in China than other models too.

I also noticed that the last two days my drone took very long to get GPS Fix, maybe it's related to Glonass, not sure.

Today everything was good, both drones locked to at least 17 satellites Mavic 3 had 24 and about 60-90 seconds to get home .. nothing like the past couple days.. same place same altitude..

Reactions: Yaros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys