DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greenhorn from sunny, but thoroughly locked down, Poole UK

Lurch003

Reactions
Hi Guys

Complete newbie with zero hours flying but about 100 hours researching on here and youtube! After lots of comparisons, I've bitten the bullet and awaiting delivery of a MM Fly More Combo.

Surrounded by so many amazing places here, hoping I can learn some basics for now and then go explore when the lockdown lifts.

Already downloaded UAV forecast, Airmap, and Drone Buddy apps to learn- any other pointers greatly appreciated

Stay safe y'all ;)

Greetings from Germany, locked down, too!

I know Poole from a student exchange 30 years ago. I have beautiful memories still. Sadly when I looked it up in Google Maps some month ago I literally did not recognize *anything* now. So I am eager to see your footage from Poole. Welcome!

Last edited:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Greetings from Germany, locked down, too!

I know Poole from a student exchange 30 years ago. I have beautiful memories still. Sadly when I looked it up in Google Maps some month ago I literally did not recognize *anything* now. So I am eager to see your footage from Poole. Welcome!

Ha ha I'd imagine it has changed a great deal in 30 years- do you remember roughly where you stayed?
I found a few videos on youtube showing the beach, bournemouth, and the ever popular Portland Bill just down the road, though I think the mini would get blown away near the lighthouse! Wind scares me already so will build up slowly to flying on the coast- got a list of places I want to practice inland first- the new forest is about 120 sq mi which shouldn't be a bad place to start (obviously when we're allowed out again!)

Welcome to the forum. I also fly the MM, fly more kit. You will find plenty of support and suggestions here. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

Ha ha I'd imagine it has changed a great deal in 30 years- do you remember roughly where you stayed?
Actually I do not have a recollection (I was 14 or 15 then), but I just contacted a friend of mine who was with me then. Maybe he will find an address or something.

Update: No, unfortunately he could not help. :(

Last edited:
You're all far too kind ;)

@Butterfly Copper Just thinking of landmarks you might remember- Poole Quay? Bournemouth beach? The islands in the bay (2nd largest natural harbour in the world don't you know!)?

All I can remember from 30 years ago is that it seemed a good idea to start smoking... :(

Reactions: Thomas B
welcome to the forum ,as your living in a place with a name like that just make sure you dont end up in any water (just my sense of humour sorry )

Hi Guys

Complete newbie with zero hours flying but about 100 hours researching on here and youtube! After lots of comparisons, I've bitten the bullet and awaiting delivery of a MM Fly More Combo.

Surrounded by so many amazing places here, hoping I can learn some basics for now and then go explore when the lockdown lifts.

Already downloaded UAV forecast, Airmap, and Drone Buddy apps to learn- any other pointers greatly appreciated

Stay safe y'all ;)
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Mini, Fly safe and have fun!

welcome to the forum ,as your living in a place with a name like that just make sure you dont end up in any water (just my sense of humour sorry )

I don't know about face masks and PPE, think humour is massively needed at the moment so please don't apologise!!!

As it happens we have a nice big harbour with 5 (or 6?) islands, miles and miles of beaches, Old Harry rocks, the jurassic coast not too far away with Portland Bill with it's quaint lighthouse to name just a few- far too many opportunities to end up in the water (yes, I have ordered the DJI repair/refresh wotsit!!!)

You're all far too kind ;)

@Butterfly Copper Just thinking of landmarks you might remember- Poole Quay? Bournemouth beach? The islands in the bay (2nd largest natural harbour in the world don't you know!)?

All I can remember from 30 years ago is that it seemed a good idea to start smoking... :(

Yes I remember Poole Quay and a beach, but my best memory from the trip were Sarah and Nicola, two local girls. ;)

But to get a little bit more on-topic: Cannot wait until you show us your home town from above.

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi Guys

Stay safe y'all ;)
Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

Yes I remember Poole Quay and a beach, but my best memory from the trip were Sarah and Nicola, two local girls. ;)

But to get a little bit more on-topic: Cannot wait until you show us your home town from above.

Me neither!!!

Hi Guys

Stay safe y'all ;)
I just bought the MM last week and it is an awesome UAV. Flying is very simple. Of course always perform a preflight check plan. One thing that has stumped me is recording. I go through everything but when I take off I am so consumed by paying so much attention I forget to hit record and ensure it is recording. Post your thoughts after you get it. One more thing, you will see on the flight screen when you are about to do your first flight an option for "Refresh" program. I suggest everyone get this. In the event of a crash DJI will replace or fix you MM two times a year and it only cost like 40 bucks. Money well spend in my opinion!

Reactions: Lurch003
I just bought the MM last week and it is an awesome UAV. Flying is very simple. Of course always perform a preflight check plan. One thing that has stumped me is recording. I go through everything but when I take off I am so consumed by paying so much attention I forget to hit record and ensure it is recording. Post your thoughts after you get it. One more thing, you will see on the flight screen when you are about to do your first flight an option for "Refresh" program. I suggest everyone get this. In the event of a crash DJI will replace or fix you MM two times a year and it only cost like 40 bucks. Money well spend in my opinion!
DJIRefresh works 2 times total, but can be renewed for a second year if there are unused replacements.

Reactions: Ray215
Let me know if you have any questions when getting up to fly. Remember MM is small, light but very efficient for its size. It does not mean to push limits with it. I watched a video of fly always yesterday in high winds. I try to fly against wind on take off and using the wind upon returns. If you fly to 40% battery lower MM to safer lower wind altitude and change to sport mode which will fly and descend faster. Hope these little tips help.

Reactions: Lurch003
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS