DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from just outside Boston, MA

daveshrews

Reactions
Hello from the land of Elizabeth Warren and legal weed! (I don't partake in either, by the way.) I'm a new drone pilot from eastern Massachusetts, and looking forward to getting more involved in the hobby. I've been an aviation enthusiast for years (I've done a few hours in a Cessna 172) and have been into photography for most of my life, so this seemed like a logical progression of hobbies. I've been mostly flying a toy Force1 drone to get acquainted with fully manual flight, but as of tomorrow, I'll be the proud owner of a refurbished Mavic Air coming directly from DJI.

I may also have a used Phantom 3 SE a couple months after that... I have a family member who flies drones for corporate security and is planning to donate one to me as they upgrade the rest of their fleet to Phantom 4's.

I have an FAA Part 336 registration for my little Force1, and it's my understanding that I use this SAME number on any additional drone that I own, correct? I tried to register an additional drone yesterday, and the FAA website wouldn't let me do it. So the registration # is for the PERSON, not each individual drone?

I'm looking forward to meeting some other Droners from MA and the NH/ME seacoast, and maybe get some advice on places that are ok to fly around here. I've studied the regulations and have all the apps. I noticed that AirMap shows more places as restricted than the DJI maps. Specifically, Holt Hill / Ward Reservation in Andover looks ok in the DJI app, but shows as being in the 5 mile radius from KLWM in AirMap. Same with "Arlington's Great Meadow" in Lexington.

I'd like to try some flights at Robbins Park in Arlington (views of the Boston skyline and outside Logan's Class B), Prospect Park in Waltham, Plum Island (appears to be ok in Airmap... but also appears to be listed as a National Wildlife Refuge so not sure?), Crane Beach (appears to be ok in Airmap), Halibut Point Reservation in Rockport (appears ok), York Maine shore area / Cape Neddick / Nubble area (appears to be ok!)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning from you all and having some fun in the air!
Dave S.
Arlington, MA

Reactions: dirkclod
Hey Dave!!
I live in Peabody, right across from the Northshore mall (it's a small world after all). Where have you been flying your drone near your area that you live in? The weather lately has been crappy, hasn't it.

Reactions: daveshrews
Welcome to the forum! :)

I have an FAA Part 336 registration for my little Force1, and it's my understanding that I use this SAME number on any additional drone that I own, correct? I tried to register an additional drone yesterday, and the FAA website wouldn't let me do it. So the registration # is for the PERSON, not each individual drone?
That's correct. You'll only have a separate number for each specific drone if registering under Part 107.

Hey Dave!!
I live in Peabody, right across from the Northshore mall (it's a small world after all). Where have you been flying your drone near your area that you live in? The weather lately has been crappy, hasn't it.
I've been mostly flying around small parks near my house in Arlington. I'm currently just flying a small "Force1 Red Heron" toy drone until my Mavic arrives, so I don't want to take it up too high or too far because it's a little difficult to control if there's even a slight bit of wind.

I work near Andover, and there are a few really nice areas around here I'd like to fly once I get the Mavic, but one spot is just inside the Lawrence 5 mile airspace (Holt Hill at Ward Reservation in Andover). I don't want to deal with notifying ATC until I get a bit more proficient. Harold Parker State Forest is really close to my work though and I'd like to try flying there at some point. My office itself is in a super-flat industrial park type area near the edge of the woods, so I think I'll actually be able to do some test flights right off our roof to get some practice.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .0ROJYyg.png

Hello from the land of Elizabeth Warren and legal weed! (I don't partake in either, by the way.) I'm a new drone pilot from eastern Massachusetts, and looking forward to getting more involved in the hobby. I've been an aviation enthusiast for years (I've done a few hours in a Cessna 172) and have been into photography for most of my life, so this seemed like a logical progression of hobbies. I've been mostly flying a toy Force1 drone to get acquainted with fully manual flight, but as of tomorrow, I'll be the proud owner of a refurbished Mavic Air coming directly from DJI.

I may also have a used Phantom 3 SE a couple months after that... I have a family member who flies drones for corporate security and is planning to donate one to me as they upgrade the rest of their fleet to Phantom 4's.

I'm looking forward to meeting some other Droners from MA and the NH/ME seacoast, and maybe get some advice on places that are ok to fly around here. I've studied the regulations and have all the apps. I noticed that AirMap shows more places as restricted than the DJI maps. Specifically, Holt Hill / Ward Reservation in Andover looks ok in the DJI app, but shows as being in the 5 mile radius from KLWM in AirMap. Same with "Arlington's Great Meadow" in Lexington.

I'd like to try some flights at Robbins Park in Arlington (views of the Boston skyline and outside Logan's Class B), Prospect Park in Waltham, Plum Island (appears to be ok in Airmap... but also appears to be listed as a National Wildlife Refuge so not sure?), Crane Beach (appears to be ok in Airmap), Halibut Point Reservation in Rockport (appears ok), York Maine shore area / Cape Neddick / Nubble area (appears to be ok!)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning from you all and having some fun in the air!
Dave S.
Arlington, MA
Howdy from Wyoming @daveshrews , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000