DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from Kauai / Houston!

dlblacks

Reactions
Hey guys, just set up my sparkling new Mavic 2 Pro last night - just in time for my trip to Kauai! Long-time phantom owner just made the jump to the new Mavic. Very excited to do some flying, I’ve got my apps up to date and airspace charts all printed. If anyone has any tips for flying in Kauai, I’m all ears!

When I think about the Mavic 2 Pro vs Phantom4, the only real worry that comes to mind is wind. I’ve read that the new Mavic handles moderate wind very well... I’ll likely be flying over the ocean/coast from time to time, will definitely keep an eye on the weather reports. Think it’ll do okay?

Thanks for the advice, happy to be here!

Reactions: msinger
Keep the wind in mind and fly into it if going any distance and you should do fine .
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: dlblacks
Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: dlblacks
Hey guys, just set up my sparkling new Mavic 2 Pro last night - just in time for my trip to Kauai! Long-time phantom owner just made the jump to the new Mavic. Very excited to do some flying, I’ve got my apps up to date and airspace charts all printed. If anyone has any tips for flying in Kauai, I’m all ears!

When I think about the Mavic 2 Pro vs Phantom4, the only real worry that comes to mind is wind. I’ve read that the new Mavic handles moderate wind very well... I’ll likely be flying over the ocean/coast from time to time, will definitely keep an eye on the weather reports. Think it’ll do okay?

Thanks for the advice, happy to be here!
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic 2 Pro, I love mine. Fly safe and have fun!

I was staying at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu Beach. If you continue past the Hyatt a few hundred yards, the road becomes a red dirt road with various access points to great launch spots along the cliffs with caves and waves crashing against the rocks as well as about 1/2 mile of secluded Gillin’s beach. There are trails all over the area and signs for Makauwahi Cave. This section of cliffs is more interesting IMO than the section closer to the Hyatt (at Shipwreck’s Beach), partly because of the red colors in the cliffs, but the entire coastline extending from the end Hyatt.

The Maha’ulepu Heritage Trail continues along the coast, past the CJM Horse Stables. Google maps makes it appear as though the Maha’ulepu trail ends, officially perhaps, but trails abound and access is easy with parking spots tucked all over. Jeeps can get pretty close to the top of the cliffs here. I imagine you could follow this coastline, hiking for many miles and it would be well worth it.

I was staying at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu Beach. If you continue past the Hyatt a few hundred yards, the road becomes a red dirt road with various access points to great launch spots along the cliffs with caves and waves crashing against the rocks as well as about 1/2 mile of secluded Gillin’s beach. There are trails all over the area and signs for Makauwahi Cave. This section of cliffs is more interesting IMO than the section closer to the Hyatt (at Shipwreck’s Beach), partly because of the red colors in the cliffs, but the entire coastline extending from the end Hyatt.

The Maha’ulepu Heritage Trail continues along the coast, past the CJM Horse Stables. Google maps makes it appear as though the Maha’ulepu trail ends, officially perhaps, but trails abound and access is easy with parking spots tucked all over. Jeeps can get pretty close to the top of the cliffs here. I imagine you could follow this coastline, hiking for many miles and it would be well worth it.
Funny - I read your post and instantly got deja vu. Back in March, I also stayed at the Grand Hyatt (great place) and spent a lot of time walking the trails and exploring the lithified cliffs you’re talking about. It really is a stunning area, and an awesome place to fly. I was a little concerned about the winds - it was a pretty gusty, cloudy, rainy week - but I picked my launch times wisely and the M2P handled like a champ. One morning in particular was verrrrry fruitful, with a beautiful sunrise. Attached are a couple shots from that flight - which have since manifested into canvas shots hanging on my wall lol... Can’t beat this light!

Attachments

• 5F62AADC-3A74-4D5B-BC80-70088B2AF688.jpeg
    5F62AADC-3A74-4D5B-BC80-70088B2AF688.jpeg
    824.1 KB · Views: 3
  • A60071C9-4F56-4EF9-A0EF-5CC88091C04D.jpeg
    A60071C9-4F56-4EF9-A0EF-5CC88091C04D.jpeg
    604.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 75205213-6BEC-4F2F-B853-93A55475F143.jpeg
    75205213-6BEC-4F2F-B853-93A55475F143.jpeg
    763.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Love
Reactions: dawgpilot
Funny - I read your post and instantly got deja vu. Back in March, I also stayed at the Grand Hyatt (great place) and spent a lot of time walking the trails and exploring the lithified cliffs you’re talking about. It really is a stunning area, and an awesome place to fly. I was a little concerned about the winds - it was a pretty gusty, cloudy, rainy week - but I picked my launch times wisely and the M2P handled like a champ. One morning in particular was verrrrry fruitful, with a beautiful sunrise. Attached are a couple shots from that flight - which have since manifested into canvas shots hanging on my wall lol... Can’t beat this light!
Those are some really nice pics. It was raining most of the time we were there, overcast and stormy but that was ok, cause the light quality was still pretty good. It’s great hiking and flying all along the coastline. I couldn’t determine whether it was possible to hike around Kawelikoa Point. The cliffs are steep and jagged there, but you can hike pretty far alternating between cliffs and secluded beaches. A drone is the only way to get a good view of the cliffs you’re standing on top of.

We were lucky to get a short window of sun in Waimea Canyon to take some pics with my Sony a7rII. The No Drone reg’s In Waimea Canyon and many other sites in the state parks are WIDELY ignored as I saw a lot of them. I almost can’t blame them, it’s such wonderful scenery.

I often forget to take photos during my flights as I’m more focused on cinematic video. I’ll have to pause occasionally to do so. I’m in Kapalua, Maui this week and it looks like a lot of good coastal cliffs to fly from here and further up the coastline. Very windy and hot as heck.

I’ll post some videos upon my return. I shot about 170GB so far. A LOT.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada